• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

upgrade to G3? (1 Viewer)

boingbirder

Currently I have the G1 and the 100-300 lens. I am considering upgrading the camera. The video capability sounds attractive on the G3, but where I really would like to see improved capability is in 'Birds in Flight' results.
So, will the G3 make a real difference? But should I consider a different route? For instance, is there a new GH version due any time soon and therefore the current model will drop in price therefore giving me an alternative choice to the G3? And anyway, is the current GH much better than the G3 for BIF?

Cheers

John

John,
please also look at other threads in the panasonic area of Birdforum.

I have the GH2 which is considered a top-model of the Pana mirrorless, but I bought it before the G3, so that comparison was not relevant to me. Not knowing the G3, I doubt there is that much of a difference between the two with regards to BIF.

There are, however, other differences that might be important to you:
-presence (GH2) vs absence (G3) of a eye detector for switching between LCD and EVF
-possibly better jpg engine in G3
-size of grip, wheel, and other ergonomics issues

Having the camera in your hands and play with it (assuming you are living a place with a brick and mortar store nearby) might be very important.

No matter which of the two you get, the much faster AF should be a bonus for you!

Niels

Thank you Niels and Sean for your information and advice.
Just a few comments:
I never use the LDC on my G1, so I will not miss the switching facility.
It looks like one aspect I need to check out is the ergonomics.
I have already checked out the the G3 and 300mm BIF thread.
I was just not sure whether my G1 and 300 mm lens combination was already pretty good on the BIF front and spending another £400 on a G3 was not justified.
One thing I have noticed is that on most occasions there is a lot of 'hunting' before I get a picture, so although I can get some reasonable shots, it can be a little 'hit and miss'. This is one area where I would like to see an upgrade.'

Cheers, and thanks again

John

Thank you Niels and Sean for your information and advice.
Just a few comments:
I never use the LDC on my G1, so I will not miss the switching facility.
It looks like one aspect I need to check out is the ergonomics.
I have already checked out the the G3 and 300mm BIF thread.
I was just not sure whether my G1 and 300 mm lens combination was already pretty good on the BIF front and spending another £400 on a G3 was not justified.
One thing I have noticed is that on most occasions there is a lot of 'hunting' before I get a picture, so although I can get some reasonable shots, it can be a little 'hit and miss'. This is one area where I would like to see an upgrade.'

Cheers, and thanks again

John

Hi John,
two additional comments:

Re the switching: On my GH2, I usually keep the LCD turned towards the camera and therefore forced off, unless I want to review a shot in which case I open the LCD. That means that when I walk around (and if I have not turned off the camera), the LDC is off due to that, and the viewfinder is off due to the sensor, so quite low battery drain. EVF comes on when I lift the camera to my eyes.

On the GH2, I am usually using single point AF set at center, smallest possible, and in that setting I see very little hunting (if the camera does not find focus immediately it just stops, allowing me to do another half press - and this happens very rarely).

For BIF, I usually switch to the 23point AF, and in that situation I can see some hunting, especially if the bird is small and moving fast. If there are prominent clouds or other background, then the camera might get the focus completely wrong in that setting. A high-flying raptor against a bland sky is not a focusing problem it seems.

I expect that most of this will be true for the G3 as well.

Hope this helps
Niels

At 300mm for small BIFs the G3 hunts badly. If you initially focus at 100mm and keep 'feathering' the focus as you zoom it is easier.
Sean

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back