• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawfinch, Scone Palace (1 Viewer)

Have looked for them for the past 4 years or so (usually in February or thereabouts), and don't think I've seen them in the same place twice. Check every bird in the trees, and listen for the call (Tic - a bit like a single note of a Robin's call). Also, check out every bird that flies over (especially small groups). When I've seen them in the trees, they have mostly tended to be doing nothing much (not moving much), which can mean decent prolonged views, but can make them easy to overlook.
Good luck.

Here is a map with the arrow pointing more-or-less at a little parking place (about 3-4 cars).

There are two entrances to the grounds:

1: one by walking back up the hill a few yards (but note that this entrance was closed last year and I haven't looked back recently to see if it's been re-opened). You could see the Hawfinches anywhere from there or continue walking and turn right down the second road, right again when you get to the big wall, follow it along, then turn right again to take you back to the gate.

2: If that entrance is closed, walk downhill a few yards and go in the next entrance. You'll come to a gate across the road, and to the left is a track going up the hill through the trees. You'll emerge on an estate road which goes to the farm; turning left, brings you to the bottom of the route described above.

You might even be lucky enough to see them where you park the car!!

Good luck. Please let us know if you see them.

I have found with my local Hawfinches that first light of the day is the best time to see them.Sometimes I get up to seven in one tree and they remain for 30 minutes or so before flying off to feed never to be seen again that morning.Good luck,one of my favourite passerines....Eddy

Hi
Our group (10 in total) spent a couple of hours looking for Hawfinch at Scone Palace today. We parked at car park in grounds, split into three groups and searched the grounds. After an hour one group came cross a single bird in the top of a tree to the north of the main building. It gave good views but flew off before the other groups managed a decent look. However, a short time (30 mins) later a second bird was located in a tree near 'Boot Hill" (see Delia's map) which immediately flew off to join a group of a dozen birds 8 or 9 of which were Hawfinch, in the top of a tree about 100 meters further east. good views were had by all. a great and successful day.

Thanks again for advice

Doug

http://www.butemuseum.org.uk/butebirdgroup

I'm so glad you were successful Doug.... and it's nice to know they're around too.

We're trying to organise a Hawfinch Bash for the New Year... thread is here, for anyone interested.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back