Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Vortex Razor HD85 vs Celestron RegalM2 80ED

Old Thursday 4th October 2018, 23:06   #1
starbirdnoob

Vortex Razor HD85 vs Celestron RegalM2 80ED

i! My first equipment related post.

I happen to have a Celestron Regal M2 80ED x27LER that I plan to keep, AND a Vortex Razor HD 27-60x85 that I got as a good deal and plan to resell later.
I want to compare both scopes by means of photo and video, in hope of objectively show optical performance.
I am getting a zoom eyepiece for the Regal, specifically the Baader Hyperion MarkIV.

I feel like I can learn one or two things, being really new to modern optical equipment, all I used before was a pair of really cheap binos. My interests are amateur photography (not astrophoto, yet...), digiscoping, stargazing and nature observing.

My question is: Is there any reason to include in the comparison the Celestron 82003 zoom EP which is the stock for Regal scopes...? (For the test, Celestron 82003 isn't that much expensive anyway)

Also appreciate info of any thread related to this equipment comparison...
Old Saturday 13th October 2018, 05:23   #2
Josh Exmoor

I wouldn't bother with the Celestron zoom at this point. I'm certainly curious to see how the M2 w/ Hyperion IV compares with the Razor. I have an M2 with the fixed 17mm Hyperion. It's served me well, but I've never had much luck with higher zoom eyepieces.
Old Saturday 13th October 2018, 13:39   #3
HasseBF

Hi, I agree that you can leave the Celestron zoom out of the test. I have both that one and the Baader Hyperion MK IV which is clearly better.
Looking forward to reading about your results
Old Tuesday 30th October 2018, 13:22   #4
starbirdnoob

Hi, I am back again.
Took a bit to get tripod, head and other stuff needed to use the scopes...
And finally got the bhz, wich fits very well in the Regal...!!!

I have two options for photo and video:
1) Samsung S7 smartphone
2) Sony a6300.

As the noob I am, I thought a digiadapter for my phone would yield good, nice photos/vid for the porpouse of this thread... Of course I read several posts in the forum, not much flattering about digiscoping, but I insisted and tried.
I've had no luck trying to get the complete circular image you see through the oculars in the phone. Centering the exit pupil and aligning the phone camera lens has being REALLY complicated and the results, are NOT good enough...

I will keep trying with the digiadapter, and will change to a T2 adapter for the sony camera if needed. I include some of the lame results, photos of the scopes and the digiadapter.

sbn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC3091 (2) resampl.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	678691  Click image for larger version

Name:	20181030_070302 resampl.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	678692  Click image for larger version

Name:	20181029_181755.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	678693  Click image for larger version

Name:	20181030_010805.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	678694  
Old Friday 11th January 2019, 03:06   #5
karjak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HasseBF View Post
Hi, I agree that you can leave the Celestron zoom out of the test. I have both that one and the Baader Hyperion MK IV which is clearly better.
Looking forward to reading about your results
I am just curious what model of the Celestron Zoom do you have. They no longer sell the model 82003, 8-24 Zoom. Instead they only offer the new one, model 93230. I found out the hard way in replacing the eyepiece on my used Regal.

Quote from their Tech Rep. "
The eyepieces that come with the Regal are definitely better then the 93230. Unfortunately these eyepieces are not sold as separate items. I have asked and was advised that these are not available even as spares".

Last edited by karjak : Friday 11th January 2019 at 03:25.
Old Friday 11th January 2019, 03:22   #6
karjak

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbirdnoob View Post
i! My first equipment related post.

I happen to have a Celestron Regal M2 80ED x27LER that I plan to keep, AND a Vortex Razor HD 27-60x85 that I got as a good deal and plan to resell later.
I want to compare both scopes by means of photo and video, in hope of objectively show optical performance.
I am getting a zoom eyepiece for the Regal, specifically the Baader Hyperion MarkIV.

I feel like I can learn one or two things, being really new to modern optical equipment, all I used before was a pair of really cheap binos. My interests are amateur photography (not astrophoto, yet...), digiscoping, stargazing and nature observing.

My question is: Is there any reason to include in the comparison the Celestron 82003 zoom EP which is the stock for Regal scopes...? (For the test, Celestron 82003 isn't that much expensive anyway)

Also appreciate info of any thread related to this equipment comparison...
I have been doing some digiscoping with a used and broken Regal M2 100. Would you have any interest in reselling the zoom 82003 eyepiece if you are not using. Mine does not zoom.

The setup I am exploring includes using a sports action camera with the scope for video and taking still frame from video for pictures.

Here is video link and still frame from a video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53s1HK8he5I
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2019-01-04-19h44m09s467 (2).jpg
Views:	42
Size:	329.9 KB
ID:	684324  
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: