• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Hoverfly Thread (1 Viewer)

Photographed these in the garden today, not seen this particular hoverfly in the garden till today they seem to like just the one plant, could someone please id it for me, thanks in advance.
9-8-2o12001.jpg

Stu

Hi all,

Took these two shots in my Derbyshire Garden yesterday... After reading this thread my guess is Eristalis tenax but can someone confirm or put me right!

These insects vastly increased in the last couple of days from virtually none to good numbers... I'm guessing they have had a emergence in the last day or so.

ATB

Steph'

Attachments

• Hoverfly sp.jpg
    Hoverfly sp.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 157
  • Hoverfly sp 2.jpg
    Hoverfly sp 2.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 197
Identified this as a Pellucid Fly (Volucella Pellucens). Also called a Great Pied Hoverfly.

Thought it was a bee at first sight. Impressive looking insect.

Attachments

• 20180710_170523-1.jpg
    20180710_170523-1.jpg
    606 KB · Views: 47
Sorry the quality of the photo is not great. I think this is a hoverfly but I'm not at all sure. Does anyone know what it is?

Attachments

• hoverfly ex IMG_8232 (cropped).jpg
    hoverfly ex IMG_8232 (cropped).jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 67
You could well be right - although I thought it looked rather long and thin. But it would explain why I couldn't find it in the hoverfly book ;-)

UK Hoverfly ID

I have recently enjoyed photographing the Hoverflies and Bees in the garden but unfortunately do struggle when it comes to correctly identifying them.
I'm not even totally sure no4 is a Hoverfly and believe the last is a Hornet Hoverfly - any help with the correct ID therefore much appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• ID_M7A2055.jpg
    ID_M7A2055.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 54
  • ID_M7A2344.jpg
    ID_M7A2344.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 55
  • ID_M7A2204.jpg
    ID_M7A2204.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 43
  • ID_M7A2414.jpg
    ID_M7A2414.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 71
  • ID_M7A3184.jpg
    ID_M7A3184.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 64
I have recently enjoyed photographing the Hoverflies and Bees in the garden but unfortunately do struggle when it comes to correctly identifying them.
I'm not even totally sure no4 is a Hoverfly and believe the last is a Hornet Hoverfly - any help with the correct ID therefore much appreciated.

Thanks

1. Eristalis sp - you usually need a side view too to see the colour and shape of the different leg segments
2. Myathropa florea
3. Volucella pellucens
4. I think it is a hoverfly, but not one I recognise
5. Volucella zonaria

Pretty much a beginner here so looking in my garden first. My tentative ID is Eupeodes latifasciatus.
Could someone confirm or equally put me right please

Regards Howard

Attachments

• Eupeodes latifasciatus poss garden 12th apr.jpg
    Eupeodes latifasciatus poss garden 12th apr.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 27
Thanks Aeshna 5. I thought that I had caught and examined the individual that I photographed but in the hand there was no dark stripe on the face and dark hairs on the rear sides of thorax. Most likely my eyes at fault. I appreciate your input and hope to slowly get better.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back