Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Kowa 883 v Swaro ATX 95

Old Saturday 19th January 2019, 20:48   #1
lewis20126

Kowa 883 v Swaro ATX 95

Hi

Which is best? Are there any reliable technical comparisons online.

Thanks

Alan
Old Saturday 19th January 2019, 21:16   #2
jring

Hi,

nowadays that both brands have an extender option, it's mainly a matter of taste with the focus drive and of course sample variation...

Joachim
Old Sunday 20th January 2019, 16:19   #3
henry link

I agree with Joachim. You may find one more natural and comfortable to use than the other, so you really should try both for yourself. If you see a unit that you really like try to buy that particular one.

Optically, between these two models sample variation will be more important than design differences. However, there is one area where all 883 specimens will be superior to all ATX-95 specimens and that is correction of longitudinal chromatic aberration. There is also one area where all ATX-95 specimens will be superior to all 883s and that is image brightness and color accuracy.
Old Sunday 20th January 2019, 16:51   #4
DRodrigues

Alan,

You should compare the Kowa to the X85 and not the X95.
The X95 has more light and higher mags range .
First you have to decide which mags range you want/need!
Kimmo have compared the X85 to the Kowa 88, here at BF.
I'm a very happy user of a X95 with the 1.7x extender. You can see my preferences at http://www.pt-ducks.com/cr-telescopes.htm

http://www.pt-ducks.com
Old Sunday 20th January 2019, 21:22   #5
Jay Gamble

Both are superb, we own both and often have them side-by-side. Virtually indistinguishable visual differences.

The best VALUE is the Kowa 883. By far.

Jay
Old Monday 21st January 2019, 01:28   #6
TBUNDY614

As Jay mentioned, my decision came down to what I believed was the better value in the long run. I recently got the Kowa 883 and could not be more satisfied. I looked at what I wanted to do with it now and moving forward, and knew that adding the cost of an extender, a digidapter, and a new tripod had to be factored in. You really can't go wrong with either one .
Old Monday 21st January 2019, 11:49   #7
paddy7

Also, depends what you're planning to do with it. The Swarovski 95mm is considerably heavier than the 883 which will make a difference when carrying it (+ suitable tripod and head) all day.
Old Tuesday 22nd January 2019, 21:57   #8
dipped

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry link View Post
However, there is one area where all 883 specimens will be superior to all ATX-95 specimens and that is correction of longitudinal chromatic aberration.
Did you mean lateral chromatic aberration?
Old Wednesday 23rd January 2019, 02:04   #9
henry link

No, the Fluorite crystal used the 883 corrects longitudinal chromatic aberration better than the unspecified ED glass used in the ATX-95.
Old Thursday 24th January 2019, 19:35   #10
lewis20126

Thanks for the advice - Kowa 883 for me I think

cheers, a
Old Thursday 24th January 2019, 20:39   #11
crane

I recently bought a Kowa 883 and the difference at 60x is significant, looking at a pair of drake Surf Scoters at some distance (half a mile) the view was outstanding! the white napes foreheads, and orange bills where so clear in a mixed flock of sea duck. A solid tripod is a must though, I upgraded to a aluminium Manfrotto 055 at the same time, and it makes a real difference to stability. My only regret is not buying one earlier.
Old Friday 25th January 2019, 09:12   #12
paddy7

This might be relevant, when balancing the two scopes, and perhaps should be borne in mind.
I have an 883, and have only looked through others' ATX's and i think optically they are very close and there will be touches of personal preference in it.
However, i carried someone's ATX for them when they had a shoulder injury, and - with the attendant heavier tripod and head - i certainly felt i wouldn't want to do it over an extended day.
On the other hand, i believe the Kowa's body is magnesium, accounting for the lighter weight. Thus (and unfortunately i know of at least two instances of this) is perhaps more fragile.
In both cases, with angled scopes, a topple backwards (towards the eye piece) resulted in a crack across the shoulder of the scope.
I'd still go 883 every time - it is a seriously fantastic piece of kit - but just be careful! I've got an older ATS 65HD which has been toppled several times onto a range of surfaces, and has suffered no ill-effects. If robustness is an issue for you, factor that into the decision....
Old Friday 25th January 2019, 15:57   #13
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum
BF Supporter 2019

A 65HD and an 883 sounds like the perfect combination Paddy

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 26th January 2019, 19:35   #14
gr8fuldoug
Camera Land / Supporting Vendor

The Kowa is exceptional. Be glad to discuss this with you if you have a few minutes, 516-217-1000
516-217-1000
Old Wednesday 30th January 2019, 20:46   #15
tom.s.

I compared them several times and the optical differences were very limited with pro and cons as mentioned in other post above. But none of them was decisive. At the end I found out that I struggeld to focus precisely on the Kowa with gloves on during winter. The center wheel of the Swaro was much more comfortable for me. So if you do some test, try do make them under different conditions.
Old Friday 1st February 2019, 19:51   #16
paddy7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkWGriswold View Post
A 65HD and an 883 sounds like the perfect combination Paddy
Indeed it is! I was meant to sell the Swaro when i bought the Kowa, but when it came to it, i just couldn't. We've been everywhere together!
Old Friday 8th February 2019, 10:36   #17
teelgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewis20126 View Post
Hi

Which is best? Are there any reliable technical comparisons online.

Thanks

Alan
With both having exceptional optics and mechanics ....for me Swaro is the better choice as its more versatile due to its modular nature ...say a BTX or the 85 objective at a later date .Cloudynights and Binomania both cover it very well (:

Last edited by teelgul : Friday 8th February 2019 at 19:43.
Old Friday 8th February 2019, 16:04   #18
gr8fuldoug
Camera Land / Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by teelgul View Post
With both having exceptional optics and mechanics ....for me Swaro is the better choice as its more versatile due to its modular nature ...say a BTX or the 85 objective B at a later date .Cloudynights and Binomania both cover it very well (:
Agreed. If you are going to use all the Swaro system has to offer than it's the way to go. If you're looking for just a spotter and an eyepiece and not a system then than the Kowa, IMO, would be the superior unit optically and costs less
516-217-1000
Old Friday 8th February 2019, 21:42   #19
teelgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug View Post
Agreed. If you are going to use all the Swaro system has to offer than it's the way to go. If you're looking for just a spotter and an eyepiece and not a system then than the Kowa, IMO, would be the superior unit optically and costs less
Very true....The Kowa package is cute...compact..solid value for money and has a one very special advantage over the Swaro ..it allows 1.25 astro eyepeices ..a very compact 1.6x extender.....no wonder its still going so strong even after a decade.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: