Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

EDG 65 scope?

Old Friday 8th February 2019, 16:39   #1
jremmons
Wildlife Biologist

EDG 65 scope?

Does anyone have any experience using the 65EDG? I'm debating getting a scope, something that is more portable than an 80MM but still provides good image quality through a bit higher range (I have an ED50 w/ a low power fixed EP), and there are some grey-model EDGs floating around at a good price. I have found very little information on either the 65EDG or the 80EDG.

Thanks,
Justin
Old Friday 8th February 2019, 19:56   #2
etudiant
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by jremmons View Post
Does anyone have any experience using the 65EDG? I'm debating getting a scope, something that is more portable than an 80MM but still provides good image quality through a bit higher range (I have an ED50 w/ a low power fixed EP), and there are some grey-model EDGs floating around at a good price. I have found very little information on either the 65EDG or the 80EDG.

Thanks,
Justin
Denver Holt (Founder of the Owl Research Institute) carried one to serve as the groups main glass on a Yellowstone tour a couple of years back. It was optically excellent, much more comfortable to look through than my ED50/13-40x zoom combination. Of course it was also considerably bigger.

The glass is clearly pretty rugged, as Denver did not baby it but rather handled it as an everyday tool.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 9th February 2019, 14:49   #3
Boogieshrew

I believe it is rather heavy for a 65mm scope.
Old Saturday 9th February 2019, 15:19   #4
jremmons
Wildlife Biologist

Thanks for your thoughts, in the field views are always the best way to review in my mind.
It does seem true that it is a heavy scope, nearly as heavy as the ED82. Currently I am keeping an eye on a used ED82, but if I can't get it, the EDG may be my best option.

Justin
Old Saturday 9th February 2019, 16:38   #5
litebeam

The 65mm is an excellent scope. They are rugged as was mentioned. The edge to edge clarity is excellent.
Color rendition was slightly different than Leica and Swaro, but not in a bad way.

I've actually had several of them over the years, my biggest complaint was that all three had dust specs inside the scope bodies. All three eventually were serviced and subsequently fine. But it was a pain.
The eyepieces are absolute chunks.--large and heavy.

If you get a spec-free one, they are sleeper glass right there with Leica and Swarovski in optical excellence.
Old Saturday 9th February 2019, 16:58   #6
Vespobuteo

The AFOV and ER on the EDG zoom is a bit low, with current standards, but the fixed EP:s are very nice.
Note that magnification for EP:s are lower on the 65 than on the 85 model.

And as already mentioned, the EDG scopes are quite large and heavy, and built like tanks.
Old Saturday 9th February 2019, 18:38   #7
etudiant
BF Supporter 2019

The EDG scope was Nikon's alpha territory model and correspondingly pricey.
They even offered a VR version, stabilized for vibration reduction, at a substantial premium. That seemed especially interesting to me, as possibly a way to allow free hand scoping, ditching the tripod. However, I never found any user reviews, so did not follow up on it.
Apparently the EDGs did not meet the Nikon marketing goals, because they have not pursued this segment further.
There currently is still ample supply of EDGs, both new and used, available on auction at surprisingly good prices. The sellers are mostly from Japan, so possibly system inventory clearance, but surely the best buy currently in the scope world.

Last edited by etudiant : Saturday 9th February 2019 at 19:24.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 10th February 2019, 21:17   #8
bonesmalones

I am very happy with my EDG 85 angled and the fixed 20x and 30x eyepieces. I also have the 20-60 zoom but I much prefer the view from the fixed. They have a wider FOV.
Old Saturday 16th February 2019, 01:27   #9
Kevin Conville
yardbirder
BF Supporter 2019

Maybe Henry Link will chime in here. I recall him saying something about the effective aperture changing (stopping down) with focus on EDG scopes. Also something of them being optimized for digiscoping over visual.

I don't think I'm dreaming this up

Oh, and a 65mm EDG w/zoom weighs 1950g.
An ED82 w/zoom weighs 1800g

More aperture, less weight, and eyepiece compatibility with your ED50. I know which one I'd be looking at.

Scott's Miracle Grow KILLING Birds, for Years!
read this: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=226714

Last edited by Kevin Conville : Saturday 16th February 2019 at 01:40.

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 17th February 2019, 22:59   #10
henry link

Wasn't me Kevin. I haven't actually seen an EDG scope, but it I doubt that its aperture changes with focus since it doesn't have the type of moving prism focuser that's the usual cause of aperture loss at close focus.

Henry
Old Monday 18th February 2019, 04:29   #11
Kevin Conville
yardbirder
BF Supporter 2019

Sorry to invoke your name in this, Henry.
At times I have a tentative hold on reality
Thanks for clearing that up!

Scott's Miracle Grow KILLING Birds, for Years!
read this: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=226714

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 12th March 2019, 07:30   #12
horukuru
Here I Come !

Quote:
Originally Posted by etudiant View Post
The EDG scope was Nikon's alpha territory model and correspondingly pricey.
They even offered a VR version, stabilized for vibration reduction, at a substantial premium. That seemed especially interesting to me, as possibly a way to allow free hand scoping, ditching the tripod. However, I never found any user reviews, so did not follow up on it.
Apparently the EDGs did not meet the Nikon marketing goals, because they have not pursued this segment further.
There currently is still ample supply of EDGs, both new and used, available on auction at surprisingly good prices. The sellers are mostly from Japan, so possibly system inventory clearance, but surely the best buy currently in the scope world.
I used it for a while http://horukuru.blogspot.com/2012/02...vr-review.html
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: