• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (15 Viewers)

Wow superb that is seriously flippin cool! I had no idea they had become that urban anywhere in the UK. Beats feral pigeons! I wonder tho if it is due to the fact they are from release programs. Perhaps not, and still a great sight in an inner city. :)

The birds are descended from the relaease programs - but there are now a great many truly wild born birds in the county. A lot of the release program birds still hang around the Harewood Estate on the outskirts of Leeds. You can easily get double figures in the air in that area, not as many as when the program was running though, I can remember seeing almost 30 birds in the air from Eccup Dam wall. One of the Harewood birds turned up on Tyneside and bred with one of their release program birds.

We have Kites flying over everyday, without fail, in Otley, about 7 miles from Harewood. They have spread out and now nest locally in and around the town. They are not shy when it comes to swooping into gardens these days if there is food available.

Dismayed at the amount of tree felling in Pontefract park for the new baths.
Sure they could of built this on the old Prince of Wales site.

Rather disappointing to see just one male and one female Black Grouse at the usual Arkengarthdale spot this morning: have other visitors done any better or is the apparent big drop in numbers a reality?

Steve

A couple of hours at the west end of Fairburn Ings this aft, 50 years after I first visited, produced two site-ticks in Raven and Cetti's Warbler - amazing. Also a fine male Marsh Harrier and one of the Spoonbills.

Steve

Cuckoo heard on Barden Moor this afternoon, seen earlier by a local birder. Good views of a pair of Ring Ouzels. Also a solitary Pink foot amongst the Greylags and very strangely a Bar-Headed Goose which was presumably an escapee.

Rather disappointing to see just one male and one female Black Grouse at the usual Arkengarthdale spot this morning: have other visitors done any better or is the apparent big drop in numbers a reality?

Steve

Haven't been this year but don't find the place very reliable. Have been known to completely dip, other times, just 1s and 2s.

the 4th Leeds Birdfair

Hi folks

Start Birding birdwatching classes and Rodley Nature Reserve Trust are celebrating the wildlife and green spaces of Leeds again at the 4th annual Leeds Birdfair at Rodley Nature Reserve on Saturday 22nd June. We'll be running our mammal survey from 9am and stalls and other events begin at 9:30am.

https://www.facebook.com/events/334938600456578/

Hope to see you there
Linda

Visited the Stridd today and along with both flycatchers and redstart I was lucky enough to come across a family group of woodwarbler. Not in the normal locations but on the top path (cafe side of river) right at the end close to the end of wood, LHS.

For anyone interested yesterday 22 ring-necked parakeets came into roost in Roundhay Park in Leeds. Park at the Lakeside cafe and watch the tree above the cafe as it gets towards dusk. The birds seem to have been coming in regularly for a little time.

For anyone interested yesterday 22 ring-necked parakeets came into roost in Roundhay Park in Leeds. Park at the Lakeside cafe and watch the tree above the cafe as it gets towards dusk. The birds seem to have been coming in regularly for a little time.
Hi Keith, had them twice in trees behind my home, Easterly road. Have to admit it was the strange new call that put me on to them.

Hi, the nearest place to me with any hides seems to be RSPB Fairburn Ings, maybe a 25 min drive. Myself and a friend went over last week, no chance of us identifying all we saw, but a guy with some expensive scope, pointed out a few for us, 3 Buzzards and a Red Kite round something dead by waters edge, plus a couple of marsh harriers anong all the normal residents. Scope was good, no chance of me getting one of those £2.500 jobs

Hi, the nearest place to me with any hides seems to be RSPB Fairburn Ings, maybe a 25 min drive. Myself and a friend went over last week, no chance of us identifying all we saw, but a guy with some expensive scope, pointed out a few for us, 3 Buzzards and a Red Kite round something dead by waters edge, plus a couple of marsh harriers anong all the normal residents. Scope was good, no chance of me getting one of those £2.500 jobs
You say you are 25 minutes away from Fairburn Ings, which direction? There is also RSPB St Aidan's on the outskirts of Allerton Bywater so only a short distance from Fairburn Ings, this is well worth a visit. If you are in or near Leeds then the YWT Adel Dam reserve is well worth a visit for the photographer, the new hide there has a low level area so shots from almost water level are possible. Things are settling down after the installation of the hide but next year it should be good. Rodley nature reserve is also a good venue but at the minute difficult to get to due to ongoing work with the swingbridge over the canal, you have to park in Rodley and walk back to the reserve. I am Leeds based and also retired so if ever you feel like meeting up for a trip then send me a pm through Bird Forum

You say you are 25 minutes away from Fairburn Ings, which direction? There is also RSPB St Aidan's on the outskirts of Allerton Bywater so only a short distance from Fairburn Ings, this is well worth a visit. If you are in or near Leeds then the YWT Adel Dam reserve is well worth a visit for the photographer, the new hide there has a low level area so shots from almost water level are possible. Things are settling down after the installation of the hide but next year it should be good. Rodley nature reserve is also a good venue but at the minute difficult to get to due to ongoing work with the swingbridge over the canal, you have to park in Rodley and walk back to the reserve. I am Leeds based and also retired so if ever you feel like meeting up for a trip then send me a pm through Bird Forum
I'm from near Heckmondwike, actually I spent one day working at St Aidens, when it was an opencast mine, just got sent from another site at Featherstone for the day, as they where short of drivers, two sites same firm working them. this was well before flooding.

I'm from near Heckmondwike, actually I spent one day working at St Aidens, when it was an opencast mine, just got sent from another site at Featherstone for the day, as they where short of drivers, two sites same firm working them. this was well before flooding. anther edit after reading what you said. Several times a year, myself and a friend go upto Redcar, started with photographing trains, then the industry, then just because with like watching the ships. It turns out it's pretty good for birds too and a paddle :)

I'm from near Heckmondwike, actually I spent one day working at St Aidens, when it was an opencast mine, just got sent from another site at Featherstone for the day, as they where short of drivers, two sites same firm working them. this was well before flooding.
Not too sure on sites closer to Heckmondwike than Fairburn as I am in NE Leeds and so I tend to go out Eastwards rather than cross the city.
Pugney's Country Park and the Calder Wetlands across the road near to junction 39 of the M1 get good birds but parking at both isn't easy or free.
The flooding at St Aidan's was an incredible sight, a huge lake where there should have been a river. I would love to have been there when the river broke through, I only visited after it had reached its final level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back