Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Some Questions about MM3/MM4 Scope and Eyepieces

Old Friday 15th February 2019, 05:27   #1
HeadWest

Some Questions about MM3/MM4 Scope and Eyepieces

Hi All,

I've gone through many threads on this forum researching what travel scope I should buy. I am pretty sure I am going to get either the Opticron MM3 or MM4. I am a bit unclear on some things, mostly around eyepieces. Apologies if these questions have been answered already here, and I do appreciate any input. It seems like the Opticron eyepiece landscape has changed a bit over the last few years, and I am a bit confused. So, my questions are:

1. There is a lot written about on this forum about the different eyepieces for these scopes:
*SDL Eyepiece (40936M) - From what I read, this is the best of the zoom eyepieces? Does this fit on both the MM3 and MM4?
* HDF T (40862M) - This is the zoom that comes with the MM4 scope on BH Photo. Is this not as good as the above SDL? Does this fit on both the MM3 and MM4?
* HDF T (40831M) - This 23x fixed eyepiece sounds amazing. I cannot find it for sale anywhere. Has it been discontinued or something? Any recommendations on how to get it? Does this fit on both the MM3 and MM4?
2. From reading many threads on this forum, it sounds like there is not a big difference optically between the MM3 and MM4. Am I way off base here? I might opt to save a few hundred dollars and go with the MM3.

3. Is it possible to buy scope only anywhere in the US? Everywhere I look includes an eyepiece.

4. I am reading that the MM4 60mm with the SDL eyepiece has an FOV of 240 ft. at 1000 yds. I am also reading that the (way pricier) Kowa TSN-553 has an FOV of 132 ft at 1000 yds. Is this accurate? This seems like a drastic and impressive difference (I think these are both at 15x).

I think I'd like to buy an MM3 and one of either the SDL or the fixed 23x eyepiece, but i'm not sure if that's possible. All and any adive is much appreciated.

Thanks
Old Friday 15th February 2019, 08:04   #2
jring

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadWest View Post
1. There is a lot written about on this forum about the different eyepieces for these scopes:
*SDL Eyepiece (40936M) - From what I read, this is the best of the zoom eyepieces? Does this fit on both the MM3 and MM4?
* HDF T (40862M) - This is the zoom that comes with the MM4 scope on BH Photo. Is this not as good as the above SDL? Does this fit on both the MM3 and MM4?
* HDF T (40831M) - This 23x fixed eyepiece sounds amazing. I cannot find it for sale anywhere. Has it been discontinued or something? Any recommendations on how to get it? Does this fit on both the MM3 and MM4?
Yes to all. The 40831 is listed on the Opticron page and should be available, although usually not as a bundle with the scope body unless your dealer makes a special packagae for you.

Quote:
2. From reading many threads on this forum, it sounds like there is not a big difference optically between the MM3 and MM4. Am I way off base here? I might opt to save a few hundred dollars and go with the MM3.
iirc the main difference is waterproofing.

Quote:
3. Is it possible to buy scope only anywhere in the US? Everywhere I look includes an eyepiece.
Opticsplanet seems to offer MM3 bodies alone.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/opticro...body-only.html

Quote:
4. I am reading that the MM4 60mm with the SDL eyepiece has an FOV of 240 ft. at 1000 yds. I am also reading that the (way pricier) Kowa TSN-553 has an FOV of 132 ft at 1000 yds. Is this accurate? This seems like a drastic and impressive difference (I think these are both at 15x).
Both the Kowa and the MM4/60mm with SDLv2 will have around 43/1000m at 15x with the Kowa being a bit wider - too lazy to convert that to imperial. Same goes for max magnification, you get a meter or two extra for your money with the Kowa but cannot use a fixed mag EP.

Joachim
Old Friday 15th February 2019, 09:55   #3
pete_gamby
Birds? What Birds?!

1. All our eyepieces are interchangeable across all scopes (except on the Adventurer series). SDL zoom is our top of the range eyepiece and has better resolution and wider field of view than the HDF zoom and is also fully waterproof. 40831 is still a current model.

2. MM3 ED and MM4 ED are optically comparable but the MM3 ED is now discontinued. The current MM3 model is not ED, hence a big optical and price difference compared to MM4 ($325 vs $689 body only).

3. As Joachim noted, Opticsplanet does list some body only options but if you can't find what you need from a dealer, just call our head office in Huntersville - 704 895 3046.

4. As also noted above, both have about the same FOV at 15x but the SDL has a wider FOV at the top end of the zoom range (1.75 vs 1.3 degrees or ~91ft vs ~68ft).

HTH

Cheers, Pete
Old Friday 15th February 2019, 10:40   #4
jring

Hi,

oh yeah right - MM3 was relaunched as a non-ED version... which I wanted to write but forgot. Thanks for correcting this one, Pete.

Joachim
Old Friday 15th February 2019, 13:41   #5
bioscope

Something about the non-ed MM3 you can read via binomania, and also the test of the MM4, which was my 'ignition' for the interest.
Way more I've written in the optic-forum Jlich, Bonn but all in german…

The field-of-view of the v2 is a little tight at 15x, but the magnification of 20x yields to the exact the same field; I'm using the 15x only for the bigger exit-pupil. The field at 45x is very wide and tack sharp until the field-stop.

Fanboy
Manfred
Old Friday 15th February 2019, 20:58   #6
HeadWest

Thanks for all the info everyone. I didn't realize the MM3 was not ED! That explains the large price difference. Pete, is it possible to get an MM4 body only?
Old Sunday 17th February 2019, 11:38   #7
pete_gamby
Birds? What Birds?!

Yes, MM4 can be supplied body only - again, just call our HQ if you can't find it online.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: