• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are We All Boring ? (1 Viewer)

Not Normal.

Hey up folks, being interested in something "not normal" helps keep us seperate from the soap eating mong's that see themselves as normal!

I do like normal things as well, things like gettin wrecked, vomiting over next doors cat, vandalising other folks property, reading The Sun or Sport, stopping in all weekend to play computer games etc. etc.:t:

I've got to admit i take great delight in walking among the frazzled sun worshipers trying to find my missus as she toasts herself, dressed in full birdin' gear plus shades lookin like i'm armed and ready to go to war!!!!:t: The looks i get, and give back are well worth it!

I'd rather be a birder than a chip eater any day!!!!!

cheers

Andy.

Don't worry, be happy.

I don't understand why so many people care about what other people think if you happen to like birding while some others might think it boring. Everyone has their own interests and if someone wants to denigrate you for your interests then, I say, screw 'em because that is very rude. They undoubtedly have interests of their own that you or other people think are boring or stupid.

I guess I've never really encountered this because I consider myself a photographer first and an incidental birder second because I like to photograph birds and want to know what I am photographing. But, I still like seeing and trying to identify birds anyway whether I'm photographing them or not.

Last edited:
Jack,

That makes sense and I'm told that all the time about not caring what people think so I guess it's time to do that :t: but like you (in a way) I considered myself a fisherman who carried a camera with him and if a bird flew by it flew by. Only recently have I actually started going for birds.

I also agree with everyone else that others peoples hobbies may "seem" boring to other people

What hobbies could be more boring...

photographing the carparks of Britain?
bellybutton fluff collecting?
reading gossip mags?
Collecting names of Eddie Stobart lorries?
Railway goods wagon number collecting (or the people that collect the wagons!)?
Horse brasses and porcelain pigs?

But the most boring and sad of them all must be those weirdo's that go birdwat...

no... hang on! :gn:

|:D|

Of course birders can be boring to non-birders! But everyone who's got a hobby of any kind is boring to anyone who doesn't share it. What's more boring that listening to people bang on about sports you're not interested in, for example? I've got to the age where I don't even pretend to have the slightest interest in football - excludes me from a lot of male bonding smalltalk, but I don't really care!

I think the most boring people are the ones who have no interests at all, and try to pretend they are interested in a subject ie birdwatching - but it is a game of pretending to like birds - how boring is that.

Do people do that? And how? I'm imagining someone in a hide watching through binoculars but with their eyes secretly shut, and putting big ticks in an empty notebook.

Do people do that? And how? I'm imagining someone in a hide watching through binoculars but with their eyes secretly shut, and putting big ticks in an empty notebook.

Hi Apodemus

I do not know the answer to that myself, as I have always had tons of hobbies of all types so never been short of any interests at all.

Going out and about, and being social is something that I have always done, so got some good friends (most of which live in Scotland)

Last edited:
Of course birders can be boring to non-birders! But everyone who's got a hobby of any kind is boring to anyone who doesn't share it. What's more boring that listening to people bang on about sports you're not interested in, for example? I've got to the age where I don't even pretend to have the slightest interest in football - excludes me from a lot of male bonding smalltalk, but I don't really care!

hi Peter

You have got a point there. I think sports is something that is talked about a lot - and it seems to be a male thing. I am afraid I am lost in the football/Rugby stakes.

On the other hand, my OH loves talking to his male friends about football - so then I am lost and do not understand what the fasination is.

There again it is each to his own! ;)

At least OH and I can talk birds anytime, anywhere when it suits. :t:

I have been birding for over 35 years .
I did get a bit conscious at first
But as an ex football hooligan, you imagine explaining to some of my hooligan mates my passion for birds. I got the micky taken 'big time' But as time went by some of my fellow hooligans found their 'soft side' and did have a liking for nature programms.
we are not boring just different

The kids I teach have been trying to get a rise out of me since someone spotted me down the park with my scope. One of them had the front to say I needed to get a life if I was a birdwatcher. My simple response to that was that teacherwatchers are the ones who really need to get a life.

The real question has to be, "Why are you bothered what someone with the lack of social grace to openly disparage another person thinks anyway?"

Cutting a long story short, i seen a slightly unusual bird in my garden last week and was curious as to its identity. Its just that im fairly new to birdwatching and wanted to research in my local library what it could have been. When i said to the young girl what i was looking for, she gave a little like giggle to herself, as if to say get a life you loser. I felt so humiliated.

She's probably the one who needs to get a life. Maybe her interests don't extend beyond celebrities and how pissed she's going to get on her next night out - I think that's sad, but I wouldn't have the bad manners or bad grace to be rude to someone about it.

During my last work contract I worked in an office with one young woman whose main interests were the 'celebrities' Jade Goody and Katie 'Jordan' Price. She actually had the temerity to call me a 'nerd' recently. My reply was 'it is better to be a nerd than a moron'. Works every time, that line, it soon shut her up.

I used to be conscious of what other people thought, but now I am at the stage where I don't give a damn about it. If they are going to be rude about it then that says more about them (their lack of intellect) than it does about me. These people are the losers, not you or me.

I couldn't agree more...well, that is apart from the football bit. I will never understand how anyone can't be excited by football.;)

I share many of the thoughts already expressed and if my interest in birds and other wildlife seperates me from the rest of the herd so be it. I have reached an age where such matters don't concern me too any extent. To be honest though I have found the most people show an interest to some extent once they grasp what your interest really is.

Anyway I reckon there is some good points to being in a 'boring' minority. When I go birding I don't really want to have to share my space with Joe and Josie public do I?;)

She's probably the one who needs to get a life. Maybe her interests don't extend beyond celebrities and how pissed she's going to get on her next night out - I think that's sad, but I wouldn't have the bad manners or bad grace to be rude to someone about it.

During my last work contract I worked in an office with one young woman whose main interests were the 'celebrities' Jade Goody and Katie 'Jordan' Price. She actually had the temerity to call me a 'nerd' recently. My reply was 'it is better to be a nerd than a moron'. Works every time, that line, it soon shut her up.

I used to be conscious of what other people thought, but now I am at the stage where I don't give a damn about it. If they are going to be rude about it then that says more about them (their lack of intellect) than it does about me. These people are the losers, not you or me.

:t::clap::clap::clap:

On a slightly different note I always think the celebrity spotting bits in tabloids (who's been seen where basically) are a bit like twitching...

I couldn't agree more...well, that is apart from the football bit. I will never understand how anyone can't be excited by football.;)

Didn't see this. I will never understand how people can live without football (or birding for that matter).

Ah well, good luck to you!

While some birders are boring, birds certainly are not.

Try telling people how Swallows fly to South Africa for the winter and return to the same barn the following spring, or how a Hummingbird weighing as much as a penny migrates 500 miles across the Gulf of Mexico, and how if the wind changes direction they perish in the sea.
How Swifts spend their lives in the air.
Tell them how a female Bar-tailed Godwit flew 11,000 kms. flying for 9 days and nights non-stop.

Then most people will understand why you like birds. If they don’t, they have no souls.

Twite.

While some birders are boring, birds certainly are not.

Try telling people how Swallows fly to South Africa for the winter and return to the same barn the following spring, or how a Hummingbird weighing as much as a penny migrates 500 miles across the Gulf of Mexico, and how if the wind changes direction they perish in the sea.
How Swifts spend their lives in the air.
Tell them how a female Bar-tailed Godwit flew 11,000 kms. flying for 9 days and nights non-stop.

Then most people will understand why you like birds. If they don’t, they have no souls.

Twite.

Hi Twite

Good answer.

I could not have put it better myself. We as bird lovers like to see birds in the wider sense.

They have a tough life because of all the changes they have to make with the seasons.

That has to be unique in the bird world - they never get it handed on plate like some people have.

They are tough and resilent that has to be admired anyday. :t:

Yes, it would be good if everyone understood the thought process of a bird lover anyday.

Last edited:
Tell them how a female Bar-tailed Godwit flew 11,000 kms. flying for 9 days and nights non-stop

WOW!!!!! I've been birding since I was 13 (now 41 ~ ouch!) and I never knew that :eek!: I'm just speechless....WOW!!! o:)

Oh so true :smoke: My workmate thinks the whole natural world is dull.....but then he IS one of those who's whole life revolves around watching tv, playing computer games and raving on about F1 motor racing (he is in SUCH a huff with me because I won't let him finish early on Sunday to watch the race because I want to go birding instead!). He has no idea what he is missing!!! :king:

My workmate thinks the whole natural world is dull.....but then he IS one of those who's whole life revolves around watching tv, playing computer games and raving on about F1 motor racing (he is in SUCH a huff with me because I won't let him finish early on Sunday to watch the race because I want to go birding instead!). He has no idea what he is missing!!! :king:

He'd say "I do know what I'm missing, it's the bloomin' F1!" ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back