• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thailand, Sri Phang Nga day trip April 2019 (1 Viewer)

400mark

I will be in Thailand in April 2019 on a family holiday and was looking at a 1 day birding trip to Sri Phang Nga NP from Khao Lak with Thailand-Journey, on the 16th or 17th April, but their tour is for a minimum of 2 people.

Details of the itinerary can be found here:http://www.thailand-journey.com/tour/sri-phang-nga-national-park-birdwatching-day-trip/

Cost is 4900 thb per person.

It’s a bit of a long shot but if anyone is in Khao Lak on the 16th or 17th April 2019 and is interested in sharing a guide, please let me know.

Thanks Mark

Thanks, I have seen some site info with maps etc and it looks easy enough.

I am not planning on driving, so may need to look at costs for hiring a driver for the day.

Did you drive and was your time here worth while?

Cheers

I had a rental car. I thoroughly enjoyed my day there. I was at the gate about 30 minutes before it opened. I can't remember the exact time but you can't enter until the person shows up to take your money and open the gate. I was the only one there. There is plenty to see around the gate while you wait. Search through the trip reports here. There was one where the guy did it all with public transport. It would be a long walk from the main road to the gate by my recollection. Good luck!

Thanks for the info and the link :t:

The gates open at 8am but have read that the birding outside the gates can be quite good.

It seems like a great area with some stunning target species so is definitely a place I would like to get to.

Don’t think I will try public transport and my other half, who has been to Thailand a few times, isn’t keen on me hiring a car.

It will be my first visit to Thailand and mostly be a family holiday with a bit of local birding, so having a full day birding with a local guide would be the best way to bump the list up, hopefully I can find someone to make the numbers up.

Cheers

Driving in Thailand is quite easy. You just have to pay close attention and be ready for anything. :) You might contact the resort where you're staying and see if they know a guide or even have another guest to join you. They would likely be able to hire you a driver if nothing else.
There is lots of good birding in the area. Having a vehicle, even a motorcycle, will allow you to do some exploring. Get to Laem Pakarang if you can. Also check e-bird for the area. Here's another site that may be helpful.
https://www.thaibirding.com/

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back