• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Strange Blackbird behaviour (1 Viewer)

wilmauk

I've got a juvenile Blackbird that has started visiting my garden recently (must like the sultanas I'm leaving her). Today I was putting out my washing and she landed not 4ft from me, and carried on feeding...not bothered by my presence at all. Anyway, I crouched down to get a better look at her, at which point she stopped and looked my way. She then puffed herself right up (reminded me of a balloon) then stretched out her wings and lay forward on the ground. It was most bizarre. After about a minute she got up, 'deflated' back to normal size and carried on feeding. Anyone know what she was doing....it's the first time I've seen anything like this.

Last edited:
wilmauk said:
I've got a juvenile Blackbird that has started visiting my garden recently (must like the sultanas I'm leaving her). Today I was putting out my washing and she landed not 4ft from me, and carried on feeding...not bothered by my presence at all. Anyway, I crouched down to get a better look at her, at which point she stopped and looked my way. She then puffed herself right up (reminded me of a balloon) then stretched out her wings and lay forward on the ground. It was most bizarre. After about a minute she got up, 'deflated' back to normal size and carried on feeding. Anyone know what she was doing....it's the first time I've seen anything like this.
Aggressive posturing behaviour - being a juvenile it probably hasn't quite figured out exactly when to employ those tactics :D

Maybe when you were upright, it just considered you part of the scenery but when you dropped down you entered its "zone" and it considered you a threat.

Hi Wilmauk,

Could she have been sunbathing?

We have quite a few blackies around at the moment and this is common behaviour amongst them.

When our birds do it they are usually sunbathing or simply stretching their wings.
They do come close Wilmauk, even adult Blackbirds and follow us around the garden when we are doing the borders, looking for worms.When they do get mad, they usually repeat their warning call and cock and flick their tailfeathers.
They love sultannas, although in the breeding season when the young are being fed they should be soaked overnight.

Thanks for the replies everyone. She was back again today, but seemed happy just pottering around the garden, no funny stuff today. I thought that she might have been sunbathing, but it wasn't really that sunny the other day.

Mary E...don't worry, I always soak my sultanas before putting them out for the birds.:)

wilmauk said:
Mary E...don't worry, I always soak my sultanas before putting them out for the birds.:)
Oops :flowers: As soaking hadn't been mentioned Wilmauk,I was only pointing it out for those who didn't know. :eat: I wasn't worried at all about you,just passing on good advice. :eek!: :flowers:

Mary ios right , i think Blackbirds are even more bold than Robins with humans.

My favourite with them is Cherries, they really love em! If you put them on a skewer its amusing to watch them also takes for some great shots

Attachments

• blacky 1.jpg
    blacky 1.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 261
  • blacky.jpg
    blacky.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 312
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back