• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

It's Coming! (1 Viewer)

Tammie

Hi Forum!

I officially saw the first snowflakes of the season this morning so that can only mean one thing.... the pine grosbeaks will be returning any time now!
It's only +1°C right now after raining for a week straight so thing are just soaked and soggy out there. The birds are trying to keep dry but I don't think most of them are succeeding.
Can't wait for that beautiful splash of red!!

Tammie, you're killing me! I need Pine Grosbeak(as well as Evening) for my life list. I need to trek up there someday. Oh yeah....Boreal Chickadee and Spruce Grouse also.

dennis

Tammie, your welcome to the snow, but I really would love to see
the grosbeaks. lucky person!!
regards bert.

Tammie - Curious! Just how far north in Ontario are you to see snow now?
Give me something so that I can pin your whereabouts down on my National Geographic Map of Canada's Far North.

Dennis, I spotted the Boreal Chickadee for the first time about a year and a half ago. Last winter while snowmobiling, we stopped to take pictures of the whiskey jacks we saw when a flock of these little chickadees showed up. Unfortunately, they never sat still enough for a photo! They sure are pretty though and sound just a little different from a black cap.
Bert, you should see my husband .... talk about snow. He's already in the garage polishing is snowmachine! ;)
Geoff, you can pin my area on the lower right side of Lake Nipigon, east of Thunder Bay, in the Geraldton, Hornepayne, Kapuskasing region. That help?
Actually, the snow isn't early at all but a week late. We normally have our first flurries of the season around Sept. 21st. Thankfully, it won't be staying until at least the end of October though!!

Oh, and Dennis? We have spruce grouse here all year round. It's actully hunting season for them right now but I don't care for them. They're too strong tasting! Sure would like to get a good picture of one though.

Tammie,

Thanks now I can see where you mean. your'e not quite in the wilderness. I know that distances in Canada are vast and we Brits easily underestimate them. When I was over there about twenty years ago it took all day to drive from Windsor in the South of Ontario up to Niagara falls.
On my small road map it seemed such a small distance and I would do it in no time at all. How wrong could I have been!

Geoff, Ontario is a massive province. My mother is about to move to a nursing home in Ottawa. When I go to visit her in November, it's going to be at least a 15 hour drive... one way!!! :(

Can't figure out for the life of me why it would take all day from Windsor to Niagara Falls, though!! Now, they're almost next to each other!

No matter where you are, Tammie, snow in September is TOO EARLY!!!!

The earliest snow I can remember in several decades here is October 6, when we got a surprise storm of 4 inches, which melted overnight.

October 10 is about the average frost date -- so I don't even want to think about SNOW!!

Oddly enough, this seems to be one of the few areas around here that haven't had a killing frost yet! Most of my flowers are still blooming beautifully and the lawn is still green and lush and almost needing to be cut. It's really strange. All this, and then we end up with the first snowfall! Go figure! :) :h?:
It doesn't bother me, really. By this time, after such a busy summer, I'm ready for the seasons to change. Winter can be such fun here with the snowmachines! Hey, you gotta have something to look forward to! ;)
:D

Snow? What's snow?

We had a rainy overcast day today and at least it brought the temperature down from the high nineties we've been having. But I might try to brave the snow to see some of those birds you're talking about!

gahh .... Snow in September is too late. It should only snow in July and August. Check your bathwater - it's probably going round the wrong way.

Tammie,

Well I was sight - seeing as it was a vacation but even so the distance was much further than I realised. After a short stay in Niagara Falls took a coach into Toronto and marvelled at the skyscrapers, never having seen them for real before so soon had a crick in my neck. Of course also had to go up the CN tower and do all the other touristy things, before the flight back home. It was a great holiday in a wonderful country.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back