• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Deer ID (1 Viewer)

JMikeB

Could someone please ID this deer for me. Taken at Insh Marshes in Scotland.

Many thanks

Attachments

• Deer Insh.jpg
    Deer Insh.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 227
Is it just perspective or does he have a wonky left antler?Nice shot though,looks like hes scented you and just about to do the off!

Tinca said:
Is it just perspective or does he have a wonky left antler?Nice shot though,looks like hes scented you and just about to do the off!

I spent the best part of an hour watching this buck and a doe. The buck was curious about something at this stage but quickly settled into feeding again.

I had looked the deer up in a guide book I have - the photos of Roe Deer in there did not show the white markings on the throat which threw me somewhat.

Apart from a juv Hen Harrier and a solitary Whooper Swan in the distance, it was extremely quiet and extremely wet!

Here is another shot of the buck and a couple of the doe.

Attachments

• Deer Insh a.jpg
    Deer Insh a.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 149
  • Deer Insh b.jpg
    Deer Insh b.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 176
  • Deer Insh c.jpg
    Deer Insh c.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 163
Thanks for posting those ,mike.I have a real soft spot for Roe,when i see them it nearly always takes me back to the thrill of getting close when i was a lad.
He does have a wobbly head after all,lets hope hes not shot "to keep the gene pool strong".Probably whacked it whilst in velvet,jousting with a birch,or maybe another buck,practising.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back