• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Does this exist: A tri-pod quick release screwdriver? (1 Viewer)

YellowBudgie

I was wondering if any one knew of a online photo shop that sells a tripod quick release flathead screwdriver that fits the entire quick release slot in the screw so it makes it easier to turn, mount and will not slip out as easy.

Thanks

YellowBudgie said:
I was wondering if any one knew of a online photo shop that sells a tripod quick release flathead screwdriver that fits the entire quick release slot in the screw so it makes it easier to turn, mount and will not slip out as easy.

Thanks

What's wrong with a small coin. it's a lot cheaper! :t:

Geoff Brown said:
What's wrong with a small coin. it's a lot cheaper! :t:

Thats what my father told me they were made to fit. Should I weld a coin to the end of a screwdriver?

On a serious note I have weak hands and the coin thing would not work so I wondered if any company ever made a nice tight fit screwdriver.

YellowBudgie said:
Thats what my father told me they were made to fit. Should I weld a coin to the end of a screwdriver?

On a serious note I have weak hands and the coin thing would not work so I wondered if any company ever made a nice tight fit screwdriver.

I've seen tools designed for such screws, but I can't remember their origin. Something like dog tags should be around the right size to fit the screw and be large enough to give a good grip.

I'm not sure how rural it is where you live but get yourself to your local agricultural suppliers and ask for a shearing handpiece screwdriver. They're cheap, fairly small and portable and because they have two ends you can get plenty of touque on the screw (be careful not to overtighten)
Below is a photo I cropped from an ad so sorry for the poor quality

Attachments

• DeltaClipper.jpg
    DeltaClipper.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 170
YellowBudgie said:
Thanks Everyone. I'll bet there something out there not even intended for these but fit perfectly.

Get a flat blade screwdriver with a tip as wide as the slot then use a bench grinder to shape the tip to suit.

molenz said:
Get a flat blade screwdriver with a tip as wide as the slot then use a bench grinder to shape the tip to suit.

Has anyone seen flat blade screwdrivers that are about 7, 8 or 9 inches long that have a real wide and thick blade? I checked a few hardware stores and for a blade as thick as this the length of the screwdrivers were about 3 feet long. I'll search online for hardware stores that might have a flat head wide blade. In the meantime I will use something else to turn the screw. With smaller flatheads they slip and mark up the quick release screw.

Thanks

YellowBudgie said:
.......... Should I weld a coin to the end of a screwdriver?
If all else fails, why not? This may be your best course of action - a small, dumpy screwdriver (suitably modified by shortening the metal part) would be ideal!

Roger

steel ruler

YellowBudgie said:

Thanks

Try using a 6" stainless steel engineers ruler! i always have on in my kit bag and works a treat! another bonus is you can measure things with it too :brains:
Cheers
Brian

I'll check out the ruler, they must be thick. I have not found anything yet. A friend had an idea. He said maybe you could find a wood chisel that fits width and length wise and grind down the sharp edges and grind the top flat with a metal file. So I have ideas but nothing really made for this purpose.

See ya

YellowBudgie said:
I'll check out the ruler, they must be thick. I have not found anything yet. A friend had an idea. He said maybe you could find a wood chisel that fits width and length wise and grind down the sharp edges and grind the top flat with a metal file. So I have ideas but nothing really made for this purpose.

See ya

If you decide to go down this route buy the cheapest nastiest wood chisel you can find,something from the far east with the hardness of a snickers bar....or buy 20 files:p
I think the ruler idea was a good one,some lateral thinking might turn up the ideal tool from an unlikely place.Have a hunt around your garage,loft,kitchen drawers,and good luck:D

Tinca said:
If you decide to go down this route buy the cheapest nastiest wood chisel you can find,something from the far east with the hardness of a snickers bar....or buy 20 files:p
I think the ruler idea was a good one,some lateral thinking might turn up the ideal tool from an unlikely place.Have a hunt around your garage,loft,kitchen drawers,and good luck:D

I would guess I would find some of those chisels at the real low discount stores. The places that sell tools you know you won't use very much or they will break on you.

The ruler sounds good. I'm wondering what type of store in the US would sell them. Maybe a very large chain hardware store. I'll have to check and remember to bring a quick release with me.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back