• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norway (& Finland) - The Re-return - 2019 (1 Viewer)

Many thanks Pete, two trips then is it.

I need the Tit, Jay, Steller's, Brunnich's and Tengmalm's.

Well, I had the first three of these species on this trip & the boats were taking people out to Hornoya, so the fourth would have been eminently possible, had I needed it. I wouldn't like to comment on the owl as I was guided to one in a nest-box last spring but I guess it would be difficult unless you were willing to spend time in suitable habitat before this year's active nest sites are pinned down.

Walk away views of a singing Tengmalm's near Kuusamo last week - no nest-boxes, mirrors, or Finnature guides required B :) Owls are vocalising at this time of year, and easier to locate DIY than late Spring.

Locals told us that there are plenty of small mammals in the forests this year, so I guess it could be a good owl year.

A truly tantalising report - I'm in Helsinki for three days next week, but all the good birds (owls, eiders, woodpeckers, Pine Grosbeak, Siberian Jay, Siberian Tit) seem to be out of reach of a day trip . . .

A truly tantalising report - I'm in Helsinki for three days next week, but all the good birds (owls, eiders, woodpeckers, Pine Grosbeak, Siberian Jay, Siberian Tit) seem to be out of reach of a day trip . . .

There's some good birding around the capital Mike...Drop Pariah of this parish a PM seeing how he's down there and I'm, sensibly, not :D

I was out there with Duncan (DMW) the other week, doing a similar trip to Pete's, and it was a great long weekend. The ducks were great, and the owls, and winter bird feeders.

Maybe Im biased being a seabird fan, but the real highlight of the trip was the visit to Hornoya, a wildlife spectacle not to be missed if you do go up there. Did you go there on your first trip Pete?

Attached some photos of the Auks etc flying around and being harassed by the local Ravens (mainly).

Attachments

• 049A7371.jpg
    049A7371.jpg
    986.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 049A7696.jpg
    049A7696.jpg
    989.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 049A8274.jpg
    049A8274.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 29
  • 049A8202.jpg
    049A8202.jpg
    721.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 049A8186.jpg
    049A8186.jpg
    629.9 KB · Views: 27
I was out there with Duncan (DMW) the other week, doing a similar trip to Pete's, and it was a great long weekend. The ducks were great, and the owls, and winter bird feeders.

Maybe Im biased being a seabird fan, but the real highlight of the trip was the visit to Hornoya, a wildlife spectacle not to be missed if you do go up there. Did you go there on your first trip Pete?

Attached some photos of the Auks etc flying around and being harassed by the local Ravens (mainly).

Cracking photos Gareth!

Chris

Indeed I did, Gareth, and I agree - a proper immersive wildlife experience. Your great photos certainly brought back some memories of the scale of the whole thing. A link to my report for that trip, if you are interested: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=363594

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back