• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

One more Warbler ,Northern Greece (1 Viewer)

Hello Ody,
interesting bird. First impression to me was "its an easy Willow Warbler" of those grey and white eastern ssp.. Everything looks good for this, head pattern, leg colour, jizz. But this bird has a short PP, but even after a second look, I couldnt convince me, that this is a Chiffchaff.
So what is it? Its not a Marsh Warbler: head pattern is wrong, as is jizz (at least for me). Its not a Sylvia Warbler, I see a Phylloscopus, so a late moulting local Willow Warbler? Because, apart from the PP, this bird looks so good for a Willow Warbler, including appearent bright orange legs (or is this due to strong back light, making them paler and brighter than reality?) and extensive pale lower mandible.
Conclusion? More pictures, please! I have for example no experience with Booted Warbler, but even after a third looks it looks good for Willow Warbler.
I know, leg colour is variable in Chiffchaff. But this bird hasnt just pale legs, but the colour looks spot on for Willow. So do the pictures shows the real colours?

Emarginations on 3,4, and 5 make this a Willow Warbler, quite probably as Alexander has stated an Eastern ssp.

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back