• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Buntings? (1 Viewer)

turkeylandman

Turkey
Hi Took these two photos at Pamukkale near Denizli Turkey, lots of corn Buntings about but theses seemed different . Any suggestions please

Attachments

• Bunting?-8721.jpg
    Bunting?-8721.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 114
  • Bunting2?-8722.jpg
    Bunting2?-8722.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 99
I'm using a small tablet computer so not 100% but picture 1 looks like a Pine Bunting on here and picture 2 looks like Corn Buntings

Hope that helps and apologies in advance if my ID is incorrect

EDIT - don't listen to me !!! :-C

Last edited:
Well I’m also using a ‘small tablet computer’ but #1 looks like a male Cirl Bunting to me.

(ps agree with Mike - CBs for image #2 (juveniles))

Last edited:
struggling with differentiating colours at the moment - but the screen (and my specs) is a bit smudged with sweaty finger prints.....

That wasn’t a dig at you Michael - I was using your excuse as a cover for myself - I credited you with the CBs ;)

I just wanted to add an id-feature that is unique to Corn Bunting against Yellowhammer and Cirl Bunting:
the median-crown-stripe is narrow and clear cut and of even wide from the base of the bill up to the forehead.
In Cirl Bunting this stripe (if present) extremly rarely reaches the bill (in 1 cy) and is not so obvious, or is absent. In Yellowhammer it normally doesnt reaches the bill and is broadest on the forehead.
Examples are here: https://www.vinehousefarm.co.uk/wp_...mages/4249/yellowhammer_3-scaled-752x9999.jpg, https://shropshirebirder.co.uk/gall...oadsands Bay 26 3 10 !MG_9925 1_filtered.jpg
This is easily seen on the left bird and is just discernable on the right bird of the OP.

Well done a very analytical, textbook account on comparative median crown stripes!

I do think, speaking from my own field teaching experience, there are other more readily apparent features to separate these 3 species in the field and for the uninitiated, discussion of the variable presence and comparative widths of median crown stripes may possibly be over-complicating things. I have found that when ‘teaching basic ID skills’ to people in the field, I just focus on the main features and ask them to note the bill shape/ colour, face pattern/colours, rump colour, leg length/colour, wing length and tail length and finally to compare the size of the bird with one they know - that gets us through most common species! Tempting though it is to try and show off one’s expertise sometimes it’s not helpful in the case of common birds - people remember ‘simplicity’ ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back