• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trystan's 2014 list (1 Viewer)

12/4/14

Rather than slotting it in and re-indexing (again!), following discussion on the bird ID forum, I am retrospectively adding from Asa Wright:

362. YELLOW-OLIVE FLYCATCHER

03/05/14

Spurn

First time out to spurn this year hoping to catch up with some migrants and summer visitors. Nothing out of the ordinary but a nice day with lots of activity. Despite a fair bit of effort, only managed to hear but not see a cuckoo.

365. Yellow wagtail
366. Spotted redshank - nice summer plumage
367. Little tern
368. Red breasted merganser - 4 at beacon ponds my first in Yorkshire
369. Sedge warbler
370. Whinchat
371. Redstart
372. Short eared owl
373. Ring ouzel
374. Spotted flycatcher

Last edited:
10/5/14

Avon heath

376. Dartford warbler
377. Tree pipit
378. Hobby

New forest

379. Woodlark
380. Wood warbler
381. Stonechat

12/5/14

Portland bill

Too windy for me so didn't stay as long as intended.

384. Manx shearwater
385. Great skua

18/5/14

A nasty virus scuppered plans for going any distance this weekend. Managed a local walk this afternoon.

Deer hill reservoir

386. Common sandpiper

24/5/14

Still not feeling up for a long drive to the coast, may have been tempted had the Flamborough bee-eaters stuck. Opted for a morning walk at Fairburn instead.

Fairburn

387. Garden warbler
388. Reed wabler

25/5/14

Bolton abbey dawn chorus with fellow bird forum members this morning. Overcast but succesful morning picking up the two needed year ticks plus plenty of other good species. An early finish provided the opportunity for a quick twitch.

Bolton abbey

389. Dipper
390. Pied flycatcher

Nosterfield quarry

391. Broad billed sandpiper (1st UK) - distant but acceptable views

Couldn't resist another outing this evening for my second UK tick of the day!

Elton reservoir

392. Little bittern (1st UK)

Last edited:
26/5/14

Frustratingly had to spend the bank holiday at work but fortunately still got to change my signature for the third time in two days this evening.

Hatfield moor

393. LONG TAILED SKUA

31/5/14

With all the activity at Spurn the last two days, I changed my plans today only to be a little disappointed overall despite a great start.

Spurn

394. Golden oriole (1st UK)
395. Black redstart

And that was that. No Icterine warbler, Marsh warbler, Red backed shrike, Red breasted flycatcher, I called in at Fairburn on the way home where I failed to find the reported Wood sandpiper and Quail too.

01/6/14

The annual Anglesey expedition turned up all the usuals, no sign of yesterday's Blyth's reed warbler though.

Holyhead

396. Black guillemot

South stack

397. Razorbill
398. Chough
399. Kittiwake
400. Puffin

Cemlyn

401. Arctic tern

Frodsham marsh

Small detour on the route home for:

402. Red necked grebe

07/6/14

Lovely evening after a horrible day and I tried my luck with 2 Quail reported singing in the area. Managed to hear one call a couple of times and very close but still not able to see it. Consolation came by way of flight views of another skulker.

Meltham

403. Grasshopper warbler

28/6/14

Not been able to do much birding recently so it was nice to kick start the year list again this evening.

Fairburn

404. Spoonbill - Two birds, one asleep, the other preening

Swillington

405. Barn owl - I thought I'd arrived a little early at 8.30 pm but one was already out and carrying a sizable rodent.

01/07/14

Burnley

406. ROSE COLOURED STARLING

2nd attempt for this one after arriving too late the previous day. Relief at getting distant views of the bird on an aerial a few streets back from the viewing area. After a bit of zig-zagging I managed to get to the right street for excellent views then had to figure out where I'd left the car.

Last edited:
09/8/14

Blacktoft

Disappointing for year ticks today with Greenshank absent and Bearded tit and Water rail both eluding me, consolation came in the form of:

407. Wood sandpiper

Last edited:
7/9/14

Blacktoft

A month down the line and finally had time to go back for another go. Still no Greenshank but after some patience flight views of a very vocal water rail followed by great views of 4 Bearded tits.

408. Water rail
409. Bearded tit

21/9/14

Spurn

Not much quantity but great quality birds today.

410. Masked shrike (1st UK)
411. Jacksnipe
412. Barred warbler
413. Red breasted flycatcher

28/9/14

Djerba, Tunisia

A week in the sun and a trip report to follow so just a list of species here.

414. Greenshank
415. Laughing dove
416. Lesser crested tern
417. Great grey shrike (algeriensis)
418. Yellow legged gull
419. Caspian tern
420. Kentish plover
421. Spotless starling

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back