• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oare Marshes Kent (1 Viewer)

Original PaulE

United Kingdom
Had a lovely morning at Oare Marshes on the North Kent coast today, fabulous place, managed to see the Bonaparte's Gull that comes back every year, a Curlew Sandpiper the best of the Waders, though I like Whimbrel, Curlew, LRP, Avocet, , Black-tailed Godwits, Ruff, Dunlin, Lapwing, Green Sandpiper, Redshank, Oystercatcher, Snipe and a fabulous FSP Golden Plover as well, also a few Yellow Wags about, Sedge and Reed Warblers, a Marsh Harrier, brief views of a Water Rail and of course the Beardies of which there were loads, anyway full story and loads of pics on my Blog at the link below

https://birdsandcake122.blogspot.com/

Yes a great reserve but please note that parking is rather limited on busy days (esp. around high tide). Remember that the small space for a couple of cars at 1 (see map) has a sign designating it for 'disabled' parking (it used to have two signs but one seems to have disappeared) so space should be left here for those with mobility problems to park. The parking space at 2 is not for long term parking (i.e. walking around the reserve) so cars should not be left here unattended. Note too that those with disabilities have priority so be prepared to move to allow them to park here (even if on foot). Remembering these points can make a huge difference to those in a wheelchair or unable to walk far. As I know to my cost taking a disabled person here by car only to find all the designated spaces occupied (by fit & able birders) whilst they walk around the reserve (or 'hogging' the viewpoint) is hugely frustrating. The 'main' car park (3) quickly fills but parking is possible on the road. If there's absolutely nowhere to park then the mile walk along the creek to the reserve from Oare (the footpath starts near the Castle Inn) can be a pleasant diversion (an option not open to the disabled).

The Bonaparte's Gull is often near the slipway when the tide is low but can be in the creek or with roosting gulls opposite 2 (currently the best spot for seeing the Lesser Yellowlegs). It's often better to stand outside the hide at 4 to view the area (look for distant seals) but it's useful in high winds & wet weather. The view point at 5 is often the best place to scan the back of the reserve. Hide at 6 can be good but the one at 7 much less so.

Attachments

• Oare Marshes.png
    Oare Marshes.png
    71.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Yes a great reserve but please note that parking is rather limited on busy days (esp. around high tide). Remember that the small space for a couple of cars at 1 (see map) has a sign designating it for 'disabled' parking (it used to have two signs but one seems to have disappeared) so space should be left here for those with mobility problems to park. The parking space at 2 is not for long term parking (i.e. walking around the reserve) so cars should not be left here unattended. Note too that those with disabilities have priority so be prepared to move to allow them to park here (even if on foot). Remembering these points can make a huge difference to those in a wheelchair or unable to walk far. As I know to my cost taking a disabled person here by car only to find all the designated spaces occupied (by fit & able birders) whilst they walk around the reserve (or 'hogging' the viewpoint) is hugely frustrating. The 'main' car park (3) quickly fills but parking is possible on the road. If there's absolutely nowhere to park then the mile walk along the creek to the reserve from Oare (the footpath starts near the Castle Inn) can be a pleasant diversion (an option not open to the disabled).

The Bonaparte's Gull is often near the slipway when the tide is low but can be in the creek or with roosting gulls opposite 2 (currently the best spot for seeing the Lesser Yellowlegs). It's often better to stand outside the hide at 4 to view the area (look for distant seals) but it's useful in high winds & wet weather. The view point at 5 is often the best place to scan the back of the reserve. Hide at 6 can be good but the one at 7 much less so.

Yes seems to be a bit of a victim of it's own success, as I said in my piece the parking was terrible in the car park with huge Gaps left between cars that were just to small ,to get a car in, the parking problem there is well known, surely people arriving early can think a bit ahead and park sensibly! I don't park in the laybys as I thought they were all for disabled drivers!!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back