• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A few days around Costa Blanca (1 Viewer)

G

Gleb Berloff

The last week for me in Spain was extraordinary. It is so satisfying when you yourself don't go to see birds, and instead they come to you!
I was sitting in Santa Pola and to be honest I have never seen anything like this before.
The 26th August was an incredible day. But mostly there were no birds, I just sat perched in a ravine with a huge smile on my face because of an anniversary.

The 29th of August Santa Pola was hit by what I called the 'Howling Tempest'. I have never seen such a strong storm in my life. Not even close. In 20 minutes, lightning was so loud it sounded like massive explosions. Rain poured down so hard it sounded like rocks falling onto my roof. The wind made that rain look like a tornado. And the carnage afterwards was unbelievable. Five palms were snapped in half and wrecked, many other trees were wrecked, part of the embankment was flooded to such an extent I thought only a wave could have caused that, the sea was the colour of sand and foaming, the lawn in front of our complex turned into a swamp, our balconies became swimming pools...

On the 31st of August I was near Alicante mostly looking at Puig Campana looming int he distance. On the way back no less than a hundred common cranes flew over the car I was in! I have never seen so much cranes before in my life! Not even close! Also a horde of little egrets flew overhead as well

On the 2nd September I saw no less than two hundred flamingos in the Santa Pola Salinas, some of them extremely close

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back