• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

......and I thought it was just for Puffins!!!! (1 Viewer)

Color. Colour.
Aluminum. Aluminium
Etc. |:D|

...but not Plutonum, unless GWB added it to the healthy stock of Bushisms, one prominent utterance being nucular...;)

Yes I know we have 'Gloster', 'Lester' and here in Norfolk such traps as 'Cossey', but that's just to whet (not actually pronounced 'wet' except by native English speakers who had misguided teachers) your appetite for linguistic oddities...:t:
MJB
PS I'll give you 'color', because deluded purists thought that a French affectation was cool...

...but not Plutonum, unless GWB added it to the healthy stock of Bushisms, one prominent utterance being nucular...;)

Yes I know we have 'Gloster', 'Lester' and here in Norfolk such traps as 'Cossey', but that's just to whet (not actually pronounced 'wet' except by native English speakers who had misguided teachers) your appetite for linguistic oddities...:t:
MJB
PS I'll give you 'color', because deluded purists thought that a French affectation was cool...

There was a thread a while back on the pronunciation of Whooper Swan and it would seem that our fellow inhabitants of this island pronounce it either wooper or hooper and are amazed that some of us can pronounce it correctly.

There was a thread a while back on the pronunciation of Whooper Swan and it would seem that our fellow inhabitants of this island pronounce it either wooper or hooper and are amazed that some of us can pronounce it correctly.

Aye! Wha's like us? Damn few, an' they're a' deid...o:D
MJB

In the German district north of where I live, nature reserves have signs in German and Dutch. On one of them, Common Teal has been translated as "Yellow-billed Teal". You'd think that the Dutch name ("Chilitaling") would have been enough to warn them something was wrong...

In the Moselle Valley, I found a brochure in English which mentioned "Sail Butterflies" (a literal translation of the German name of Scarce Swallowtail).

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back