• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brown argus? - Menorca. (1 Viewer)

Pam_m

I cannot decide between Brown argus or a female Common blue! My money is on Brown argus.

Help with ID will be much appreciated.

Attachments

• P1090724.JPG
    P1090724.JPG
    298 KB · Views: 22
Hi
You are correct in thinking that it is an 'Argus' but the only one (to my knowledge) that has been recorded from the Balearic Islands is the Southern Brown Argus, Aricia cramera. I've been studying the moths of the islands for some years but also keep a note of the butterflies. It has been recorded from Menorca.
There's also some debate as to whether the Common Blue (P. icarus) occurs in the Balearic Islands, or only the Southern Common (or Austaut's) Blue (P. celina). Personally I have seen specimens that appear to match both species!
Martin

Last edited:
Yes, it's a useful website.
It states that 25 species are known from Menorca but, on my list (compiled from publications, posted photos, etc.), there are said to be 35 species (so some may need confirmation).
Martin

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back