Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Up-grading bins.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Friday 25th March 2005, 07:28   #1
Rob Chace

Question Up-grading bins.

I am thinking of trading in my 7x42 Eschenbachs for some top line bins. I have already had a look at zeiss fl's & nikon hgl's. ( both of which are excellent, but did not like the look of the fl's.) I have heard a lot of negatives about the ultravids & the swarovskis are just plain weird looking. (Not that it should put me off!) Has anybody found of a comparison, with ratings too the above on the net? Any other coments on these would also be appreciated. (I am looking to buy 8x42's.)
Thanks in advance, Rob.

http://www.lnrwildphoto.co.uk
Old Friday 25th March 2005, 18:27   #2
Curtis Croulet

Surely there is somewhere in the UK not too far away from you where you can look at all of these models at the same time. Whatever negatives you may have heard about the Ultravid, how do you know those debits will matter to you? Most owners seem to love them. You shouldn't reject any of the top bins simply on the basis of a couple of negative comments on the Internet. As to the Swarovski looking "weird" -- chacun a son gout!
Old Friday 25th March 2005, 22:08   #3
Atomic Chicken
Registered with the D.O.E.

Rob,

I would agree with Curtis on this one... don't go by what you hear on the internet. See as many binoculars "in person" as you can, and make up your own mind based on the objective facts and your personal preferences. "Try before you buy"... this should be the slogon of the BirdForum optics forums.

Best wishes,
Bawko

"I hope you love birds too. It is economical, it saves going to heaven." - Emily Dickinson
Old Friday 25th March 2005, 22:12   #4
Otto McDiesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Chace
but did not like the look of the fl's.) & the swarovskis are just plain weird looking.
Rob, look through them, not at them.
Old Friday 25th March 2005, 22:46   #5
ranburr

Those ELs are weird looking. But, they are good. I don't think thay are as good as the FLs or Ultravids. Take a look at all of them side by side and decide. I think the FLs give the best overall view, but the Ultravids are close and argueably the most durable of the bunch.

ranburr
Old Friday 25th March 2005, 23:48   #6
Curtis Croulet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranburr
but the Ultravids are ...argueably the most durable of the bunch.

ranburr
And your evidence is...
Old Saturday 26th March 2005, 16:18   #7
redshift
Toad Popper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Chace
I am thinking of trading in my 7x42 Eschenbachs for some top line bins. I have already had a look at zeiss fl's & nikon hgl's. ( both of which are excellent, but did not like the look of the fl's.) I have heard a lot of negatives about the ultravids & the swarovskis are just plain weird looking. (Not that it should put me off!) Has anybody found of a comparison, with ratings too the above on the net? Any other coments on these would also be appreciated. (I am looking to buy 8x42's.)
Thanks in advance, Rob.
Before you plonk down your money, compare the view through your intended purchase with that through a pair of Nikon 8x32se porros.
Old Sunday 27th March 2005, 19:23   #8
stu

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshift
Before you plonk down your money, compare the view through your intended purchase with that through a pair of Nikon 8x32se porros.

Try the Nikon HGL's...In my opinion they beat the lot....look at the 8x32's also because they compare very well agianst the bulkier 8x42's. If you want to try most makes at the same time try your nearest large RSPB site,they usually have a good range in stock.

Stu
Old Sunday 27th March 2005, 20:00   #9
Bubbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto McDiesel
Rob, look through them, not at them.
EXACTLY!
Old Sunday 27th March 2005, 23:11   #10
salty
geordie birder

my advice is forget the debates that go on, find a pair that YOU like. anyone of those makes: leica, swaro, nikon and ziess are going to be top-end bins with top-end prices.

do more homework before you buy, and try them all first hand if you can. dont rush into buying the ones that get the best review, they may not suit you......

i can personally vouch for the ultravids, they are breathtaking, but try out others first.

BF Supporter 2005 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: