• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New camera (1 Viewer)

Pete the Birder

Hello, I was once a hardcore dslr user but basicly I couldn't afford the big white lens and a friend of mine showed me a print of a digiscope shot of a wader. I think he used an option scope. And I thought Christ! that would give my Nikon d610 a run for its money so I sold the lot and now I'm looking for a camera for my nikon edg 95mm with a 50w eyepiece. I do have a budget of around 300 pounds so please let me know your thoughts. I did look at the gh4 but it's a lot of money.

Hi Pete,
First a word of caution: digiscoping has its limits, it's only good for birds that do not move much. Good for waders, no use for birds in flight or warblers moving in a tree.
For limited budget, I'd recommend to try your smartphone first. If you have one with a decent camera, that may be all you need. If not, get a good compact camera (e.g. the older Canon S series (S100, S110) are good and should not be too expensive).
Regards, Florian

Hi Pete and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

As Florian has said, give a camera phone a try. Mine didn't fit properly over my 'scope, but my sister's one did! A light small camera is a good option, but I'd recommend looking for one that has a flip out screen, that can be angled (nothing worse than having the sun shining on it!!) You'll likely want a bracket to attach it to the scope and I recommend a remote shutter release too.

With practise you can get slow moving birds of prey in flight, but I never managed little things!!

Hope these ideas help a little.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back