• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (45 Viewers)

Jack Snipe at the Moors

Jack Snipe, with a Snipe for good measure, near the Sand Martin Hotel this afternoon from about 2.30 to 3.30

Jack Snipe reported at the Moors Pool at 2:30

Attachments

• Jack Snipe 15 Oct 4 (1 of 1).jpg
    Jack Snipe 15 Oct 4 (1 of 1).jpg
    399.9 KB · Views: 120
  • Jack Snipe 15 Oct 5 (1 of 1).jpg
    Jack Snipe 15 Oct 5 (1 of 1).jpg
    438.9 KB · Views: 112
  • Jack Snipe 15 Oct 6 (1 of 1).jpg
    Jack Snipe 15 Oct 6 (1 of 1).jpg
    333.1 KB · Views: 107
One Black Head was ringed with a yellow ring on its left leg bearing reference 2KXN.

I now have fuller details on Black-headed Gull yellow 2KXN which was noted at the Flashes on the 7th and 10th October. It was ringed in the nest at Fishers Green in the Lee Valley Country Park, Essex on the 21st July 2015. There were no other observations between these dates.

John's Rock Pipit at the Flashes yesterday was the fifth date in 2015 that this species has been recorded at Upton Warren, making it the most productive year since 2010 when birds were present on seven days during a very similar range of dates. The low water level and exposed mud at the Flashes will hopefully attract further records this autumn (and perhaps Water Pipits late in the season into early next year).

The six Swallows John had through the Moors Pool on Friday was a good late date for this species There have been the following hirundine records in the second half of October and beyond:

20th November - Swallow - 2006
18th November - House Martin - 2007
4th November - House Martin - 1987
1st November - Swallow - 2002
1st November - Swallow - 2012
1st November - Swallow - 1991
29th October - Swallow - 2000
23rd October - Swallow - 1988
23rd October - Swallow - 1994
19th October - Swallow - 2013
19th October - House Martin - 1991
18th October - Swallow - 1993
18th October - Swallow - 1987
17th October House Martin - 2010
16th October - Swallow - 2011

Raven mad pal

One development of the last few years which more recent converts to the reserve may not be sighted on is the surge in records of Raven, culminating this year in both the reserve's first breeding record (nesting on one of the small transmitter masts at the Flashes and assumed to have raised two chicks) and record numbers of reports.

The first sighting of Raven at Upton Warren wasn't until 1980 when one was seen and heard over the reserve on the 15th June (Gene Timmins, S Edwards). It took a further 16 years for the second record to be secured when one was seen and heard flying south over the Education Reserve on the 14th January 1996 (John Belsey, Richard Harbird). The third record followed swiftly after (11 days later) and the number of sightings has grown ever since, with particular surges in 2007, 2011 and 2014:

1996 - 2 dates Raven recorded on
1997 - 0
1998 - 6
1999 - 3
2000 - 10
2001 - 4
2002 - 14
2003 - 7
2004 - 10
2005 - 2
2006 - 7
2007 - 23
2008 - 40
2009 - 35
2010 - 42
2011 - 63
2012 - 59
2013 - 56
2014 - 116
2015 - 121 (to date)

The reserve's record count is 30 birds observed just to the west of the Moors Pool on the 11th October 2014 by Dave Jackson.

Low Water Flashes

John's Rock Pipit at the Flashes yesterday was the fifth date in 2015 that this species has been recorded at Upton Warren, making it the most productive year since 2010 when birds were present on seven days during a very similar range of dates. The low water level and exposed mud at the Flashes will hopefully attract further records this autumn (and perhaps Water Pipits late in the season into early next year).

When I opened the sluice yesterday I noticed that the outlet channel was heavily silted. The flow of water has almost stopped. The level has now reached the lowest level of "control". Which means that the 3 removable boards have now been lifted. The idea is to drop the 2nd Flash until it is dry. However the channel from the 2nd flash is now very narrow and shallow. This means that water will soon be unable to flow out. I think the lack of evaporation at this time of year will mean the Flashes will not be drained as required for the survey work to be completed. With winter approaching the water table in the surrounding area will rise and make it impossible for a complete 'draw down'. I hope I am wrong but I will let the Trust know the situation. hopefully there is a plan B

When I opened the sluice yesterday I noticed that the outlet channel was heavily silted. The flow of water has almost stopped. The level has now reached the lowest level of "control". Which means that the 3 removable boards have now been lifted. The idea is to drop the 2nd Flash until it is dry. However the channel from the 2nd flash is now very narrow and shallow. This means that water will soon be unable to flow out. I think the lack of evaporation at this time of year will mean the Flashes will not be drained as required for the survey work to be completed. With winter approaching the water table in the surrounding area will rise and make it impossible for a complete 'draw down'. I hope I am wrong but I will let the Trust know the situation. hopefully there is a plan B

Is this the channel we dug out about 4 years ago? Is there any value in doing this again for the November work party? I hope no one is thinking about pumping the water out of the second flash ....

Last edited:
Update from Dave J at the Flashes this morning:

Avocet, Stonechat, Barnacle Goose, Common Gull (1w), 62 Fieldfare, 7 Meadow Pipit, 40 Redpoll, Yellowhammer

Update from Dave J at the Moors Pool:

Rock Pipit ➡ south at 12.17, Barnacle Goose, Common Gull (1w), 3 Pochard, Gadwall, 11 Collared Dove

Today's WeBS count courtesy of Dave J:

Mute Swan 4, Greylag Goose 51, Canada Goose 291, Gadwall 1, Teal 67, Mallard 149, Shoveler 86, Pochard 3, Tufted Duck 23, Cormorant 13, Grey Heron 3, Little Grebe 3, Great Crested Grebe 6, Water Rail 7+, Moorhen 56+, Coot 212, Avocet 1, Lapwing 177, Snipe 5, Curlew 14, Kingfisher, BH Gull 190, 18 LBB Gull , Herring Gull 2

Last edited:
Paul Rhodes reports a probable Rock Pipit calling from the ground at the Flashes. Also Common Gull (1st winter) at the Moors Pool plus 2 Coal Tit on feeders with 9 Snipe and the Avocet at the Flashes.

Last edited:
Had good few hours around the place today, many thanks to all that pointed some of the birds we would of missed for sure, in doing so we broke our Sunday total which now stands at 48 birds, anyway Flashes highlights Fieldfare 100c Redwing 50c Cettis calling, also a few Rook on farm field.Moors Jay, Barnacle, L Redpole, Siskin, Jack Snipe, Coal tits.

Attachments

• IMG_2277.JPG
    IMG_2277.JPG
    618.9 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_2284.JPG
    IMG_2284.JPG
    477.9 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_2290 (2).jpg
    IMG_2290 (2).jpg
    318.7 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_2294.JPG
    IMG_2294.JPG
    630.1 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_2297 (2).JPG
    IMG_2297 (2).JPG
    489.1 KB · Views: 102
Spent just under two hours at The Moors this afternoon and recorded 29 species. These included great spotted woodpecker, goldcrest, water rail, barnacle goose, sparrowhawk and pochard. I wasn't lucky enough to see any snipe today, despite looking hard near the sand Martin box for the jack snipe that had been reported recently.

Flashes - Late morning

Stonechat, male, in front of Cuckoo hide in scrub between first flash and stream. Also in same area was a very yellow, smallish warbler alas no obvious wing bars; but pulse raced for a few seconds.
3 or 4 Swallows over heading south.

Stonechat, male, in front of Cuckoo hide in scrub between first flash and stream. Also in same area was a very yellow, smallish warbler alas no obvious wing bars; but pulse raced for a few seconds.

I was in Cuckoo hide at this time...nothing distinguishing about the small yellow warbler, no vocalisation.

Other notables today
07:00-11:15 Moors: Shoveler (90+), Cetti's (1 showing briefly in front of East hide), Sparrowhawk took a Common Snipe left of East hide, Pochard (2m 1f), Kingfisher perched and hovered in front of East hide.

11:30-13:30 Flashes: Redwing (30+), Swallow (3), Water Rail (2 in channel in front of Cuckoo Hide), Stonechat (male on 1st flash)

well the WILSONS WARBLER has left the outer hens so you never know. 8-P

Last edited:
Tuesday work party

Tomorrow we will be continuing the North Moors reed bed rejuvenation . Dead hedging and generally working at the top end of the North Moors. Hope to see you there B :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back