• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (23 Viewers)

Phil's birding review for February is now online here.

With regard to Ring-necked Parakeets, I think they are a great addition to our avifauna. When I used to work in and around West London they certainly brightened up the day. And you wouldn't just see one, sometimes you'd see them in flocks of several hundred during the day (not just at roost sites where they can be counted in the thousands). In the winter, when the trees were bare it wouldn't be unusual to see a tree in the distance that appeared to be in leaf until you got closer and realised it was actually covered in parakeets!

Brian

Today's highlights:

Couldn't make it for the evening session, but I'm sure anything of note will be made available.

FLASHES/SAILING POOL
Avocet (16)------------------Oystercatcher(2)
Curlew (4)--------------------Teal (2)
Greylag Goose (8)-------------B H Gull (c160)
Yellowhammer (over)----------G C Grebe (10)

MOORS:
Shelduck (2)-----------------Shoveler(11)
Gadwall (2prs)----------------Teal(5)
Pochard(2)-------------------Tufted Duck(37)
Snipe(5)----------------------Lapwing (4)
Little Grebe (2)---------------Peregrine
Redpoll (3)-------------------Mistle Thrush
Oystercatcher(4)------------ G C Grebe(2)

2 Grey Wags were reported on the River Salwarpe and there were 2 Teal on the N Moors.

Des.

Was that 6 Oyks across the reserve Des? Grey Wagtail certainly appear to be very obvious at the minute.

Today's highlights:

Couldn't make it for the evening session, but I'm sure anything of note will be made available.

FLASHES/SAILING POOL
Avocet (16)------------------Oystercatcher(2)
Curlew (4)--------------------Teal (2)
Greylag Goose (8)-------------B H Gull (c160)
Yellowhammer (over)----------G C Grebe (10)

MOORS:
Shelduck (2)-----------------Shoveler(11)
Gadwall (2prs)----------------Teal(5)
Pochard(2)-------------------Tufted Duck(37)
Snipe(5)----------------------Lapwing (4)
Little Grebe (2)---------------Peregrine
Redpoll (3)-------------------Mistle Thrush
Oystercatcher(4)------------ G C Grebe(2)

2 Grey Wags were reported on the River Salwarpe and there were 2 Teal on the N Moors.

Des.

Quiet end to the day at Upton today. No Bitterns and no Owls. On the Flashes Curlew numbers rose to 13 and Black-headed Gulls to around 600 with no other gull sp amongst them. Greylags on the Moors also numbered 13. JS

Dave and Peter,

just to clarify a couple of points. At both RNP sites, the parakeets bred in nest holes previously used by greater spotted woodpeckers. In one instance, the parakeets effectively evicted the greater spots. It was at this location lesser spotted woodpeckers bred. The reason I mentioned this is because it would have unlikely had greater spotted woodpeckers remained.
Certainly wasn't disagreeing with either of you. Hope this clears up any misunderstanding.

Dave and Peter,

just to clarify a couple of points. At both RNP sites, the parakeets bred in nest holes previously used by greater spotted woodpeckers. In one instance, the parakeets effectively evicted the greater spots. It was at this location lesser spotted woodpeckers bred. The reason I mentioned this is because it would have unlikely had greater spotted woodpeckers remained.
Certainly wasn't disagreeing with either of you. Hope this clears up any misunderstanding.

No problem Paul - that makes more sense to me. :t:

Today’s visit was quite uneventful with very little movement on the reserve.

Started at the sailing pool arrived around 7.20am the weather was a little unforgiving it was overcast with a very cold biting wind hitting me straight in the face, not much around at first sight so decided to take the count on my return after visiting the Flashes.

On to the Tower Hide on the flashes arrived around 7.45am after again tackling the path just past the Cuckoo Hide (Swamp alley as I call it) just be a little careful when you are trying to get round it as it was a little slippy.

First sighting were the Avocets moving in quite close to the hide and plenty of active gulls around, with a few larger gulls mixed in, a small flock of linnets appeared from behind the hide and flew across the front of the hide on a few occasions.

On my return to the sailing pool I popped in the Cuckoo hide and watched the feeding station for a while only to see the usual suspects at the feeders.

Revisited the sailing pool around 10.00am with better luck there was a very high increase in activity on the pool with 10 Great Crested Grebes the highlight.

Now onto the Moors again not too much t report from here as only the usual suspects around but the pool and surrounding area’s looking great after the Tuesday work parties work.

Species seen today with counts –

SAILING POOL –

Canada goose (21), Cormorant (1), Great crested grebe (10), Mallard (5), Black headed gull (17), Robin, Blue tit, Wood pigeon, Blackbird, Greylag goose (2), Magpie & Tufted duck (4)

FLASHES POOLS –

Blackbird, Carrion crow, Woodpigeon, Blue tit, Goldfinch, Robin, Wren, Jackdaw, Oystercatcher (2 a second pair arrived around 9.30 possibly from the moors pools), Black headed gull (140+), Lesser black backed gull (6 – 2 adult, 3 f/w & 1 2/w), Coot (12), Mallard (8), Moorhen (9), Avocet (15 – later seen at the moors), Pied wagtail, Linnet (7), Shelduck (1), Canada goose (18), chaffinch, Greylag goose (2), Bullfinch, Great tit, Song thrush, Reed bunting, Stock dove, Dunnock & Long tailed tit

MOORS POOLS –

Reed bunting, Blackbird, Song thrush, Robin, Blue tit, Wood pigeon, Kestrel, Canada goose (15), Mallard (18), Coot (41), Black headed gull (190+), Tufted duck (29), Cormorant (11), Pochard (15), Greenfinch, Dunnock, Moorhen (8), Chaffinch, Long tailed tit, Redpoll, Magpie, Great tit, Goldfinch, Redwing, Shoveler (12), Herring gull (4 – 2 adults & 2 f/w)), Gadwall (4 – 2 pairs), Lesser black backed gull (7 - 3 adults & 4 f/w), Oystercatcher (4), Greylag goose (1), Great crested grebe (4), Water rail (2 seen by Rob), Shelduck (2), Mute swan (2), Teal (1 seasonal pool), common snipe (1 – amy’s marsh area)

Off topic a little I think I may have found were the Lapwings are currently feeding just after Belbroughton Rail station heading towards Stourbridge there are 3 small pools one a old water mill pool the field directly behind this pool was covered in Lapwings first time I have noticed Lapwings in this location it usually only has a few mallards and gulls at most.

Last edited:

Started at the sailing pool arrived around 7.20am the weather was a little unforgiving it was overcast with a very cold biting wind hitting me straight in the face, not much around at first sight so decided to take the count on my return after visiting the Flashes.

On to the Tower Hide on the flashes arrived around 7.45am after again tackling the path just past the Cuckoo Hide (Swamp alley as I call it) just be a little careful when you are trying to get round it as it was a little slippy.

First sighting were the Avocets moving in quite close to the hide and plenty of active gulls around, with a few larger gulls mixed in, a small flock of linnets appeared from behind the hide and flew across the front of the hide on a few occasions.

On my return to the sailing pool I popped in the Cuckoo hide and watched the feeding station for a while only to see the usual suspects at the feeders.

Revisited the sailing pool around 10.00am with better luck there was a very high increase in activity on the pool with 10 Great Crested Grebes the highlight.

Now onto the Moors again not too much t report from here as only the usual suspects around but the pool and surrounding area’s looking great after the Tuesday work parties work.

SAILING POOL –
/U]

Canada goose (21), Cormorant (1), Great crested grebe (10), Mallard (5), Black headed gull (17), Robin, Blue tit, Wood pigeon, Blackbird, Greylag goose (2), Magpie & Tufted duck (4)

FLASHES POOLS –

Blackbird, Carrion crow, Woodpigeon, Blue tit, Goldfinch, Robin, Wren, Jackdaw, Oystercatcher (2 a second pair arrived around 9.30 possibly from the moors pools), Black headed gull (140+), Lesser black backed gull (6 – 2 adult, 3 f/w & 1 2/w), Coot (12), Mallard (8), Moorhen (9), Avocet (15 – later seen at the moors), Pied wagtail, Linnet (7), Shelduck (1), Canada goose (18), chaffinch, Greylag goose (2), Bullfinch, Great tit, Song thrush, Reed bunting, Stock dove, Dunnock & Long tailed tit

MOORS POOLS –

Reed bunting, Blackbird, Song thrush, Robin, Blue tit, Wood pigeon, Kestrel, Canada goose (15), Mallard (18), Coot (41), Black headed gull (190+), Tufted duck (29), Cormorant (11), Pochard (15), Greenfinch, Dunnock, Moorhen (8), Chaffinch, Long tailed tit, Redpoll, Magpie, Great tit, Goldfinch, Redwing, Shoveler (12), Herring gull (4 – 2 adults & 2 f/w)), Gadwall (4 – 2 pairs), Lesser black backed gull (7 - 3 adults & 4 f/w), Oystercatcher (4), Greylag goose (1), Great crested grebe (4), Water rail (2 seen by Rob), Shelduck (2), Mute swan (2), Teal (1 seasonal pool), common snipe (1 – amy’s marsh area)

Off topic a little I think I may have found were the Lapwings are currently feeding just after Belbroughton Rail station heading towards Stourbridge there are 3 small pools one a old water mill pool the field directly behind this pool was covered in Lapwings first time I have noticed Lapwings in this location it usually only has a few mallards and gulls at most.

Thanks once again Adrian for keeping the forum updated. Two things of note:
1st-The avocets at the Moors would indicate that they are still being disturbed by the maintenance work at the sewage.
2nd- I was going to say that the lapwing have well and truly abandoned the site. At this time of year they should be on their breeding grounds. Perhaps the cold conditions may have deterred them from breeding for a while, but they should be on site all the same. The fact that you saw lots not too far away, could mean that they might return. Fingers crossed.B :)John

didn't see any movement at the sewage works but more than possible work was still on going, also I hope that the lapwings return soon.

I forgot to add a chaffinch was reported on the walkway to the east hide at around 1.15pm

SAILING POOL –

FLASHES POOLS –

MOORS POOLS –

A line through Belbroughton ? Sure you didn't mis ID the station there ?

3 Garganey in Herefordshire today - keep checking those Teal!

For JTB's all-dayer on Saturday is looks less like Sand Martin and more like Snowy Owl!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back