Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Coming back from the shops (1)

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Saturday 24th September 2005, 09:46   #1
bill moss

Coming back from the shops (1)

Hi folks,

Old friends will know that most of my 'birding' these days is done on the way back from the shops.

This morning it's a lovely sunny one and no wind so not as chilly as I'd expected, so I nipped (only figuratvively you understand) onto one of the local Golf Courses for a quick keek at the small lakes. Lots of Mallard, C Geese, and Gulls but the first interesting one was a Snipe which came up from the edge of the Bulrushes, about 2 feet away, and jinked off before I could get the camera up (reflexes are getting slower). So after that I carried the camera at the ready but, of course....... Saw a dark shape low over the water, swooped up onto a post, Kingfisher! Got the camera up and......gone!

I gave it up after that, well nearly. I did get a Heron and some assorted Gulls and a flying Mallard or two, but it wasn't the same. Drat!!!!!!

Saw just a couple of late Swallows and a bit surprised to see them, mostly they've gone from the usual places. So

Autumn thoughts

I really should be going soon,
I ought to be on my way.
The days are getting shorter,
And I really shouldn't stay.
But the weathers' been quite pleasant, and we still have sunny skies,
So I'll stay a little longer till I've eaten all the flies.

Bill.
Old Saturday 24th September 2005, 09:55   #2
Bridie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill moss
Autumn thoughts

I ought to be on my way.

Bill.
Thanks for the poem Bill, it really is a glorious morning, I love these Autumn mornings, there was a haze in the valley and dew on all the plants - the spiders webs are amazing at this time of the year - why I wonder.

I shall also go for a walk to my local park - see if there are any conkers about yet - I collect them for the children at a Nursery I sometimes visit - cannot completely stop work, I miss the buzz to much.

Enjoy your day

Bridie
Old Saturday 24th September 2005, 10:19   #3
Gill Osborne

Hello Bill and thanks for that lovely poem - it sums up our wonderful Swallows so well! Which reminds me....I MUST stick my head outside and check that they are still here this morning! They've been getting awfully excited and twittery and whizzing around the cottage in large groups over the past day or so...though I think that's just the latest brood having just left the nest in our sheds.

It's a glorious sunny day up here in Northumberland this morning...I'll be popping off down to the ponds behind Branton soon to see what's about.

Gill

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 24th September 2005, 12:31   #4
Cathy H
Cathy H

Hello Bill,

I know I haven't posted much on many of your threads on the 'other board', but I did read them. I was so pleased to see the headline 'Coming back from the shops'. I knew at once who it was from. Welcome.

Cathy.
Old Saturday 24th September 2005, 12:56   #5
Wendy Morris

Hi Bill,

I reckon some of your swallows are the ones that I saw this morning on my way home from the shops too. There were about a dozen of them just outside of town and I thought then that they still had a long way to go. Our martins only left the area about 10 days ago, but there have been lots around between here and the south coast. We wish them a safe journey and for them to return safely next spring.

May have problems doing a quiz over the next 10 days or so as we are having major work done in the house, but I`ll try to find a way to get to the computer!

Wendy.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 24th September 2005, 14:24   #6
Ruth Daniel

On the way back from the shops

I knew exactly who it was the minute I saw the title!!
And the poem just typifies the day today........wonderful.
Thanks Bill.
Old Saturday 24th September 2005, 15:41   #7
Ant
North Wales birder

Hi Bill,
It seems that
Quote:
on the way back from the shops
Has become one of your trademarks, another one must be your quizes.

anthony
Old Sunday 25th September 2005, 17:02   #8
rose taylor

Hello Bill, We were going to Deal to pick up the girls and we saw some swallows. I thought they were a bit late leaving. I hope they get home safe!
Hope you and yours are well. Rose.
Old Sunday 25th September 2005, 19:54   #9
bill moss

Hi Lady,

Pleased that you found your way over here. How are the Badgers?

Now I've finally got the chance to show you one of my Blue Tits when they were nesting earlier in the year.

Keep in touch, Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DS bluetit at nestbox 05.05 1.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	30853  Click image for larger version

Name:	DS bluetit in nestbox 05.05 1.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	30854  
Old Sunday 25th September 2005, 20:33   #10
Thelma W.

Lightbulb

Hi, Rose,

Yes, how are your badgers? Mine are fine but are getting competition from two foxes, who have beaten him to it tonight! Had a stand off between them the other night. Fascinating! I am waiting to here the dish clank. He should be ok if the foxes don't discover that as well.

Hi, Bill, loved the poem.

Night, both

Thelma
Old Sunday 25th September 2005, 20:46   #11
rose taylor

Hello You two, The boys are fine. They were here before 8 this evening. They are giving the neighbours a bit of a turn. The alley where they come into the garden is a public footpath and that early in the evening people are still using the footpath and bumping into badgers. Imagine their surprise! Bill your blutits are gorgeous, you are clever with your photos. T'other Rose and I were having breakfast this morning and we are both quite sure we heard a sparrowhawk in the scrubby woods behind us. I'm also pretty sure I saw one over the playground the other lunchtime. And what about the osprey apparently one was resting in Hythe over the weekend. Wish I'd know, I would have had a drive down to see it. Next time perhaps. Happy days, Rose.
Old Sunday 25th September 2005, 21:44   #12
Mary Evelyn
Forum Member

Hi Bill,

Loved the poem and the pics of the Bluetits.Really glad to see you are settling into BF.
It seems your fellow friends from the beeb are too,especially since you joined them.
Old Monday 26th September 2005, 12:45   #13
Linda Beaumont

Salut my dear Bill, comment ça va?

Loved your latest poem. This is the BEST time of the year, isn't it? Hazy morning light shining through the trees (yes, I DO sometimes get up in the mornings!), dew on spiders' webs, Blackbirds returning... aaah!

I await your 3rd "simple" quiz with fear and trepidation!

Love from Chanteuse

"I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulet I could have worn."
(Henry David Thoreau)

Last edited by Linda Beaumont : Monday 26th September 2005 at 12:48.
Old Monday 26th September 2005, 13:38   #14
walt-m

Quote:
Hi folks,

Old friends will know that most of my 'birding' these days is done on the way back from the shops.

This morning it's a lovely sunny one and no wind so not as chilly as I'd expected, so I nipped (only figuratvively you understand) onto one of the local Golf Courses for a quick keek at the small lakes. Lots of Mallard, C Geese, and Gulls but the first interesting one was a Snipe which came up from the edge of the Bulrushes, about 2 feet away, and jinked off before I could get the camera up (reflexes are getting slower). So after that I carried the camera at the ready but, of course....... Saw a dark shape low over the water, swooped up onto a post, Kingfisher! Got the camera up and......gone!

I gave it up after that, well nearly. I did get a Heron and some assorted Gulls and a flying Mallard or two, but it wasn't the same. Drat!!!!!!

Saw just a couple of late Swallows and a bit surprised to see them, mostly they've gone from the usual places. So

Autumn thoughts

I ought to be on my way.

Bill.
Hi bill just posted hello to Linda B and hoped that you would find away to do your quizzes, I think a big thank you to Brian & Birdforum for getting us all together. great to talkto you Bill keep well.
Old Monday 26th September 2005, 13:42   #15
Ruth Daniel

Hi Walt,
Great to hear from you again!!
Yes,it's wonderful that we can all stay together here thanks to Brian and Birdforum.
Speak soon,best wishes,
Old Monday 26th September 2005, 17:37   #16
BazR
bazr

Hi Bill.

I don't know what you've been living on; you don't seem to have been coming back from the shops for weeks. Good to have the quizzes and poems back.

Cheers, my friend.
Baz.

Spike Milligan

BF Supporter 2007 2008 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 27th September 2005, 01:22   #17
Sue Wright

Hi Bill,

Wonderful to read that title again.

By the way Bill, we had time for a little Birding over the last few days and..........SORRY....but we had the Kingfisher you missed out on! Not the best of shots, but a first one for photographing. Sorry to be one up on you!

Love, Sue

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 27th September 2005, 01:25   #18
Sue Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by BazR
Hi Bill.

I don't know what you've been living on; you don't seem to have been coming back from the shops for weeks. Good to have the quizzes and poems back.

Cheers, my friend.
Baz.

Hi Baz - any reason that you've always got a blue and a black undefined? Or does it simply mean that you are??? Just querying!

Love, Sue

Old Tuesday 27th September 2005, 08:42   #19
BazR
bazr

Undefined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue & Terry
Hi Baz - any reason that you've always got a blue and a black undefined? Or does it simply mean that you are??? Just querying!

Love, Sue
Hi Sue.

It's down to my ignorance I suppose love. I haven't a clue what it's all about; perhaps you in your capacity as 'resident genius', LOL!!, could enlighten me.
Thanks in anticipation.
Away for a fortnight from Thursday; off to Canada to see family.
Love.
Baz.

Spike Milligan

Old Tuesday 27th September 2005, 08:56   #20
bill moss

Hi Baz,

No I'm not living on fresh air mate, but you don't want to hear about the 'Went to the shops today, nothing interesting happened' now do you?

Still, every now and then you DO see something, like this little chap. He wasn't concerned about me stopping the car and leaning out of the window, he was too interested in something else going on off the road.

Bill.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DS rabbit, young 7.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	30965  
Old Tuesday 27th September 2005, 09:30   #21
bill moss

Hi Sue and Terry,

Nice to hear from you on the Board. Pleased that you've got things sorted at your end, more than I can say for the ISP business, still rumbling on, might get critical by the end of the week.

Nah, you're not one up on me on Kingfisher photos, only on GOOD Kingfisher photos (or even reasonable ones). ROTTEN Kingfisher photos I've got, here are 3 of different birds. A gravel pit in Berks; Sandy (The Lodge); Hayle Estuary.

Love, Bill.

Sorry Sue, I've tried 4 times to attach the photos to this and they just don't 'stick'. I'll send them to you direct instead.

Love, Bill.

Last edited by bill moss : Tuesday 27th September 2005 at 09:32.
Old Tuesday 27th September 2005, 15:47   #22
Sue Wright

Quote:
Hi Sue.

It's down to my ignorance I suppose love. I haven't a clue what it's all about; perhaps you in your capacity as 'resident genius', LOL!!, could enlighten me.
Thanks in anticipation.
Away for a fortnight from Thursday; off to Canada to see family.
Love.
Baz.
Hi Baz,

Now strange you should say about my being 'Resident Genius' I recognise this too (!!!) and Bill always does, don't you Bill???....and would imagine that if you go to 'My Profile' and to edit your signature that you can knock off the undefinedundefined part, though it may mean that the quote is undefined by the author quoted. Hope you know what I mean, not sure I do, but there you go.

Have a wonderful time Baz, enjoy yourselves and I hope you enjoy your time spent with the family members there again. Take great care and a safe journey there...and back!

Love, Sue

Old Tuesday 27th September 2005, 15:57   #23
Sue Wright

Quote:
Hi Sue and Terry,

Nice to hear from you on the Board. Pleased that you've got things sorted at your end, more than I can say for the ISP business, still rumbling on, might get critical by the end of the week.

Nah, you're not one up on me on Kingfisher photos, only on GOOD Kingfisher photos (or even reasonable ones). ROTTEN Kingfisher photos I've got, here are 3 of different birds. A gravel pit in Berks; Sandy (The Lodge); Hayle Estuary.

Love, Bill.

Sorry Sue, I've tried 4 times to attach the photos to this and they just don't 'stick'. I'll send them to you direct instead.

Love, Bill.
Hi Bill,

You may well define mine as being ROTTEN yet, though I'll wait until I receive yours first before possibly coming to the wrong conclusion! Ours was at the lake at Cherington, if it' not too far from you (I know, I can hear your reply already! ) then you could be lucky. 'Bugs' was lovely, a good shot Bill, but how do you get them on here - size wise?? So good to see you here, really it is.

Love, Sue

Old Wednesday 28th September 2005, 09:49   #24
BazR
bazr

Resident Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue & Terry
Hi Baz,

Now strange you should say about my being 'Resident Genius' I recognise this too (!!!) and Bill always does, don't you Bill???....and would imagine that if you go to 'My Profile' and to edit your signature that you can knock off the undefinedundefined part, though it may mean that the quote is undefined by the author quoted. Hope you know what I mean, not sure I do, but there you go.

Have a wonderful time Baz, enjoy yourselves and I hope you enjoy your time spent with the family members there again. Take great care and a safe journey there...and back!

Love, Sue
Hi Sue.

There you see; your title was warranted; and I'm not quite as thick as I thought I was because I understood your instructions. There's a back-handed compliment if ever I read one.
Thanks for the good wishes, and the rest.I'll contact you on my return.

Bye for now. Love.
Baz.

Spike Milligan

Old Wednesday 28th September 2005, 10:01   #25
Ruth Daniel

Quote:
Away for a fortnight from Thursday; off to Canada to see family

Hi Baz,
Just to say I hope you have a great time in Canada and hopefully we'll hear (and maybe see) all about it when you return.

(Now I've got to PM Brian again as I've just wished him a great time in Canada!!! ,oh dear IF I had a brain I really would be dangerous!!!! lol!!!!

Best wishes,
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: