• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Suitable camera for a Leica APO 62 scope with 16-48 zoom (1 Viewer)

I have a Leica Apo 62 Scope with a 16-48 zoom and would really appreciate if somebody could give me some advice on a compatible camera/adapter to digiscope with. I am aware that this scope is not the easiest to digiscope with and have had pretty dreadful results already using a Panasonic Lumix FX01, both with and without an adapter (I was using a Leica one, before I returned it!). I know off a guy who uses a Nikon P5100 with a Swarovski 65HD and gets pretty good results, so was wondering whether this camera would be suitable with my scope?

Thanks

Steven

Last edited:
I've been using this scope for some time and have always digiscoped with a Coolpix 4500 with acceptable results.
However I placed an order for the P5100 yesterday so I'm looking forward to getting out there and trying it out. All the other threads on the topic seem to conclude that the combination is viable.

Nick

Thanks for the advice Nick, I'm glad to hear that the P5100 is compatible. Would it be possible to let me know how you get on with your new camera once it arrives?

Dxchaser
Cheers for that, it's good to get feedback from people already using similar set ups. How do you get on with your adapter - is it easy to put on and off in the field?

Steven,
The Nikon P5100 and the Canon A590IS have lenses that match with most eyepieces out there, especially zooms. The A590 probably has even more tolerance than the P5100 for lower eye relief eyepieces (eg zooms ) but the Nikon lens is probably a little sharper but there's not much in it. The Nikon screen is better too but some of the Canon digiscoping features are better (eg programmable self-timer, enhanced manual focusing ).
Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back