• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Most needed field guide? (1 Viewer)

John Cantelo

There's been a fair amount of debate recently about the pros and cons of various bird field guides, but I'd like to take a slightly different tack. Looking back over the last few decades, one major change is that I've now got a bookshelf sagging with top notch field guides. Africa is more or less covered from Cape to Cairo with first rate books. North American has a selection of excellent guides (though none to touch the fabulous 'Collins Guide'). India and SE Asia have books that bear comparison with the best of the rest. Australia, and even parts of South America, are as well served as we in Europe were a few years back. So my simple question is "If a good field guide were to be published tomorrow, where would you most like it to cover?" I don't exclude areas already enjoying some form of coverage (e.g a good guide to a limited area already covered in a larger work), but mainly have in mind parts of the globe still poorly served or served not at all. In short. where's the biggest need for a quality, well illustrated, modern field guide?

John

From what I know John, without a doubt China. This country most have one of the most diverse spread of habitat and bird species in the world. Yet the field guide for here is hard work, regarding the illustrations, descriptions and plates, many species are totally incorrect, and with advances in bird knowledge of the area the book doesn't cover many (sub)species. I think anyone whos visited China using the MacKinnon & Phillips guide wouls surely agree with me!

Another area worth mentioning is the Greater Sundas region (Borneo, Sumatra and Java), again, the only available field guide covering these islands is a MacKinnon & Phillips guide, with the same problems as the China guide. There's such a diverse range of species and distinct races that need to be highlighted with our advances in knowledge of this area too.

Should be interesting to hear where people think need better coverage from a field guide!

all the best

John Cantelo said:
There's been a fair amount of debate recently about the pros and cons of various bird field guides, but I'd like to take a slightly different tack. Looking back over the last few decades, one major change is that I've now got a bookshelf sagging with top notch field guides. Africa is more or less covered from Cape to Cairo with first rate books. North American has a selection of excellent guides (though none to touch the fabulous 'Collins Guide'). India and SE Asia have books that bear comparison with the best of the rest. Australia, and even parts of South America, are as well served as we in Europe were a few years back. So my simple question is "If a good field guide were to be published tomorrow, where would you most like it to cover?" I don't exclude areas already enjoying some form of coverage (e.g a good guide to a limited area already covered in a larger work), but mainly have in mind parts of the globe still poorly served or served not at all. In short. where's the biggest need for a quality, well illustrated, modern field guide?

John

Almost the same as James, but Eastern Palearctic.

I belive that there is a FG to the Eastern Pal in prep (Steve Madge I think) and I think that Brian Small is involved in a new FG to China. I think these are separate projects. Either one I'd buy immediately, because of the WP implications (they would have been very useful on Fair Isle last month!!).

James Eaton said:
Another area worth mentioning is the Greater Sundas region (Borneo, Sumatra and Java), again, the only available field guide covering these islands is a MacKinnon & Phillips guide, with the same problems as the China guide. There's such a diverse range of species and distinct races that need to be highlighted with our advances in knowledge of this area too.

True, there are quite a few problems with the MacKinnon & Phillips guide, though in its time it was a considerable improvement on what had been available before. A guide that was up to the standard of some of the more recent ones for other regions would be very welcome.
Maybe somebody could come up with a guide including both the Greater and Lesser Sundas? If one guide can cover all sub-saharan Africa, it should be possible.

I would like for Lone Pine to continue publishing regional guides. We have Illinois, Chicago, Minnesota and Wisconsin, Canadian provinces. What we need these for is the range maps, and they should have outlines of counties in those states. I like to use these as support on some trips. They also describe birding areas in those states.

Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Burma (no dedicated field guides at the moment), and China (agree with James on that one).

Birds of Siberia

Some people at the university of Ulan-Ude (Siberia) are working on a field guide for the birds of the Russian Federation east of the Ural Mountains. Work is still in progress and the book will first appear in russian.
Some plates can be seen at www.birdlife.ch/nvvwinterthurseen under "Projekte". (Text in german, but beautiful plates).
Our local society is supporting the project with money.

Greeting from the snow (still no waxwings arrived down here)
André

Mike Pennington said:
Almost the same as James, but Eastern Palearctic.

I belive that there is a FG to the Eastern Pal in prep (Steve Madge I think) and I think that Brian Small is involved in a new FG to China. I think these are separate projects. Either one I'd buy immediately, because of the WP implications (they would have been very useful on Fair Isle last month!!).

Have to agree with Mike about the Eastern Pal.

Most of the plates are done (and some have been done again!) but I know that not all the text is ready yet, so it may be some time.

Darrell

What bird guide do people use visiting Central Asia, including the birding hotpsot of Kazakhstan?

I would love to see a good modern guide to PNG and Irian Jaya and surrounding islands.
Thought I remembered seeing one advertised for spring 2005 publication but haven't been able to find out anything more about it. Anyone?

E

I would second Brazil. There is a supposed fieldguide which is advertised as 'adequate' but in truth it is useless for many species. For such a birdy, and birded, country it is amazing that a proper guide does not exist. I suppose some of the ex-pat birders are working on one.

I also agree about eastern Asia, both the northern part (EP?) and south-east Asia (but excempting Thailand, which is well covered).

And Kazakhstan? What about a combination of the Collins Europe guide, Flint's USSR guide, and the Middle East guide? Definitely scope for a FG to the Birds of Central Asia.

Steve

I'd broadly agree with the suggestions made thus far and reflects what I'd already concluded -
a) Eastern Palearctic - I too have heard rumours that a book was in the offing, but it seems to be taking a damn long time! (Incidentally when I visited the link suggested for the 'Russian guide' all I got was a picture of Kingfisher rather than a specimen plate - did I get it wrong).
b) Japan - OK there is a photo guide and a conventional one too, but the former isn't available in English and the latter out of print, very expensive and was rather dated when it did appear.
c) China
d) New Guinea & related islands - a birding hotspot with several weighty tomes bit no proper field guide.

The clear bias towards Palearctic birds is obvious and easily explained. I've long dreamt of visiting Japan whilst the lack of a decent Chinese guide is an obvious lacunae. The last option only makes it because an old friend used to live there and it annoyed the hell out me that he'd chunter on about birds of which I hadn't any illustrations/texts! The young whippersnappers these days just don't understand just how obscure certain species were when the choice of European field guide was a matter of Peterson or nothing! John

Birds of Siberia

Well, just press on the Kingfisher. Better and directer: www.birdlife.ch/nvvwinterthurseen/FramesetHome.htm
Then choose "Projekte", scroll down a bit and you will see the illustrations of the Altai Snowcock, Crested Kingfisher and Chestnut-eared Bunting. The work for our friends from Burjatia is very difficult because from a lot of species there are no decent illustriations or pictures. It will at least take another year for the fieldguide to be published in russian.
I agree on the lack for China, which is really a pitty.

André

I think there should be one that would tell more about all the vagrants and where to find them in Alaska. There might be and I'm and ignorant but I still think thats a good idea

Argentina - Mark Pearman, Brit ex-pat is working on one though

Peru - the Shany and Clements guide is not too hot - Thomas Schulenberg is wrinting one at present but i've no idea when it will be out.

Brazil as mentioned

China as mentioned

Greater Sundas - as James said the Mackinnon guide is not that useful and i strugled with it quite a bit.

Bolivia is probably the most birdy country not covered yet but i believe one is being worked on - maybe Joe Tobias and Eustace Barnes?

China as mentioned, as someone living here, the biggest problem with Mackinnon are the ranges are all over the place and subspecies are poorly covered
Central Asia as mentioned by Steve Lister
Cambodia by itself not as part of SEA

Edward said:
What bird guide do people use visiting Central Asia, including the birding hotpsot of Kazakhstan?

I would love to see a good modern guide to PNG and Irian Jaya and surrounding islands.
Thought I remembered seeing one advertised for spring 2005 publication but haven't been able to find out anything more about it. Anyone?

E

I just looked up the 2005 New Guinea book and it looks like Feb, 05 at the earliest. Beehler's, "A naturalist in New Guinea" is a great read. He's got a great pedigree (find the April 53 Nat'l Goegraphic) and writes about his graduate work on that incredible island. I'm sure he'll do a great job on the new guide.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back