• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ringing training advice. (1 Viewer)

Cornish Chough

I recently got interested in bird ringing and have contact details of a local bird ringer.

I just wanted to know what was involved if I decide I wan't to become a ringer? What does the training entail? What courses do I need to participate in? How long does training take roughly?

I imagine there is a lot to learn and as I work full time I can't always have loads of time off to train etc.

I've looked on the RSPB & BTO websites but there is not much information so am appealing for any advice.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
The first thing to do is to make a couple of ringing trips with a ringer - to see what's involved and whether it's for you, or not. Most ringers are happy to have someone tag along, try their hand at holding birds, etc. And this can be done under the aegis of a "helper", so you need not apply for a permit at this stage.

I agree with John that you don't want to worry too much about the main training until you know it is for you. There are different kinds of training, but for most people the training is to get a permit to use mist-nets. During training you would learn how to extract birds from nets, how to handle and measure them and how to identify the age and sex of all the common species, plus how to go about using the guides such as Svenson to identify the less regular ones. The easy bit is putting the actual ring on. Nets usually have to be up before dawn, which means early starts in the summer. Most trainees will also get experience with other types of ringing, such as ringing pulli in nests or using other trapping methods.
I have't been a ringer in the UK for a while so I may be a bit out of touch, but as a rough guideline a trainee that is ringing once a week and getting plenty of experience might take 2 to 3 years to qualify for a C permit. This allows you to trap and ring birds on your own, but you would still have a trainer. Another 2 or 3 years later, after lots of regular ringing, you might expect to get your A permit to ring without having a trainer.
There is generally quite a lot of commitment involved, though this depends on who you are ringing with. A larger group or certain individuals might be happy to have you turn up occasionally, while others might be relying on you to turn up at a particular time each week in order to set up nets and process birds. Some find this commitment a bit much for them.
I hope you find a group or trainer to ring with and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Tom

It's vital you go along and spend some time as a helper. Ringing might not be for you and you might not be for it! What do I mean? Some people just can't get to grips with certain elements of ringing, be it handling the birds, taking them from the net or the measuring process etc etc. I was a helper for about 12 months before my trainer suggested I put in for my T permit. Unfortunately because my job changed I ended up dropping my permit before I went for my C permit. I like to think I'll get back into it sometime.

Fowl Buzzing requires capturing wildlife and putting a little, weightless band on the bird’s leg.Once a bird is captured, not only does it have a little band connected which is only a portion of its human body weight.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back