• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Taman Negara, Fraser's Hill etc JAN/FEB 2013 (1 Viewer)

Frasers Hill is fantastic - Taman Negara was bloomin hard work and I can safely say that Great Argus is a myth ;)

Fabulous time had, wish I could find the time to go back again.

Fraser's Hill and Taman Negara

Just back from two weeks at FH and TN.

Very enjoyable birding, although the Great Argus that used to live along the Jenut Muda trail in TN is no more! They have also been very busy laying boardwalk everywhere - just the middle section of Jenut Muda to complete - not entirely convinced its a good thing tho! best birds - Male Malayan Banded Pitta and Rail Babbler - both crippling views.

All the best,

Mark

Ok, no worries, hope you have a good trip. Will be interested to hear any details etc. I'm going to be there 8th-30th March

Cheers, Andy

Hi Halftwo,

Wife and I are planning on Fraser's Hill in early February, our itinerary is just forming but it may well be that we will overlap which would be great. Coming from North Carolina USA and my first time in SE Asia. It would be very nice to know what on earth I am seeing over there :-0 Let me know as your dates firm and I'll do the same. Cheers, Mike

Fraser's is great. Please check and see if the restaurant behind the mosque is still running. Fantastic chow.

Hi Halftwo,

Wife and I are planning on Fraser's Hill in early February, our itinerary is just forming but it may well be that we will overlap which would be great. Coming from North Carolina USA and my first time in SE Asia. It would be very nice to know what on earth I am seeing over there :-0 Let me know as your dates firm and I'll do the same. Cheers, Mike

without hijacking the thread, here is a link to my visit to Frasers Hill http://bfbsoutdoorramblings.blogspot.co.uk/2011/04/far-out-in-east-day-4.html- in the 2011 archive on the righthand sde bar you will find a few more posts also

Dave

Hi Halftwo,

without hijacking the thread, here is a link to my visit to Frasers Hill http://bfbsoutdoorramblings.blogspot.co.uk/2011/04/far-out-in-east-day-4.html- in the 2011 archive on the righthand sde bar you will find a few more posts also

Dave

Hi Mike,

Will do - maybe we could meet up. I've plenty of experience of SE Asia, so if I can be of assistance in any way let me know.

Dave,

Cheers, will delve into your report & links when I can.

H

Seems like Malaysia is going to be full of BF members next year! We fly out on 23rd Feb, returning on 10th March!

Don't forget to factor in a night or two at The Gap on the way up to Fraser's Hill for some slightly lower altitude species not found up at Fraser's Hill (assuming it is still open, it was 12 years ago I went!).

Great places and great birding.

Don

Just walking down that road (to the Gap) - wonderful. Hitch rides back up. I wonder if Mr. Fong is still running the hotel. I think that was his name.

Also - great bugs at any bright lights (at night) up at Frasiers...............

Check out the flies on the wings.

Also great mammals. Squirrels taking part in bird waves (mixed flocks). And that place to eat behind the mosque. Find Mr. Durai. He is a treasure.

Attachments

• 13768_101689736524055_5065033_n.jpg
    13768_101689736524055_5065033_n.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 193
Hello Dave et al

In Penang for 4 nights then to Shahzan Inn Fraser Hill on
The 31st for six nights if anyone's around. Really looking
Forward to some great birds. Great photos Dave. Cheers mike

Hi all. Great thread thanks for all the info. I will be in KL for a few days at the end of March. I wasn't originally planning on going to FH as I thought I would stay a bit closer to KL ( Taman Rimba Ampang ). However after reading this I might. I won't rent a car so was wondering is it too big to do on foot? If I can get there by public transport / taxi could I just do a couple of days on foot without a car? I just want to take pictures of colorful birds rather than search for all the rarities... Thanks in advance.

Hi all. Great thread thanks for all the info. I will be in KL for a few days at the end of March. I wasn't originally planning on going to FH as I thought I would stay a bit closer to KL ( Taman Rimba Ampang ). However after reading this I might. I won't rent a car so was wondering is it too big to do on foot? If I can get there by public transport / taxi could I just do a couple of days on foot without a car? I just want to take pictures of colorful birds rather than search for all the rarities... Thanks in advance.

arjacee, once you reach Frasers Hill gates all the ammenities, hotels, and access to the trails are ok by foot. Some of the birds at the hotel feeding stations would fill your camera up with beauties anyway... silver eared mesia for starters :t:. The telecom Loop is fantastic and very walkable with a nice coffee house halfway round, the trails are easily accessible from the hotels. The old road was good for flycatchers and Raptors.

You cant go wrong if you want to generally walk around snapping away, or sitting for an hour at a bird table at a hotel.

Not sure the cost of a Taxi but I guess you can google it.

Dave

images are from our hotel grounds only

Attachments

• IMG_6115.jpg
    IMG_6115.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_6318.jpg
    IMG_6318.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_6389.jpg
    IMG_6389.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_6407.jpg
    IMG_6407.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back