• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monteverde in December (1 Viewer)

ori76

I am arranging a trip to Costa Rica in three weeks time. I have planed to be in Selva Verde, Monteverde and Carara+Manuel Antonio. Unless you make me change my mind.

I have heard that December could be terribly Windy in Monteverde. Is it true? What other alternatives do I have?. The main objetive of the trip is birding, but I would like to see the main ecosystems of Costa Rica and a cloud forest seems a must. I have never been before in Costa Rica and I would not mind to sacrifice a certain number of species for good scenery. Mammals, amphibians and reptiles will be welcome.

Ricardo

I am arranging a trip to Costa Rica in three weeks time. I have planed to be in Selva Verde, Monteverde and Carara+Manuel Antonio. Unless you make me change my mind.

I have heard that December could be terribly Windy in Monteverde. Is it true? What other alternatives do I have?. The main objetive of the trip is birding, but I would like to see the main ecosystems of Costa Rica and a cloud forest seems a must. I have never been before in Costa Rica and I would not mind to sacrifice a certain number of species for good scenery. Mammals, amphibians and reptiles will be welcome.

Ricardo

December is often windy but honestly, it can windy up there any time. You should still see several good birds and would probably find similar weather in other cloud forest sites.

December is often windy but honestly, it can windy up there any time. You should still see several good birds and would probably find similar weather in other cloud forest sites.

Cool! I will spend a couple of days up there and lets hope no high winds show up.

Regards

I was last in Monteverde in March 2014, and one day was incredibly, incredibly windy. I had very low expectations for the day! We spent the day at Curi-Cancha and still tallied 61 species for the day, even with the crazy winds. i would still hope for low winds, but I wouldn't be too worried if they do show up.

I will be visiting Curi Cancha with a guide in the early morning. I hope there will be not much wind but if it does it seems there is no major issue. Thanks.

Well. No wind at all. I was very lucky and had a great sunny calm day birding in Monteverde. Only some rain at Santa Elena Cloud Forest late in the afternoon.

I did a night tour + an early morning tour at Curi-Cancha with Rafael Elizondo. He is a great birding guide and a better person. Fully recommended. Of course he showed me a Resplandescent Quetzal couple. It was hard to find it but he finally made it possible.

Here is his email:

[email protected]

I also did some birding by my own at Santa Elena. Wonderful site! I had lunch at Stellas Bakery which provided great sightings in its feeders.

I stayed at Arco iris lodge right in town center but surrounded by vegetation that is also fully recommended.

Last edited:
Rafael! He's fantastic, and a great birding guide as well! We really enjoyed his guiding a couple of years ago. His ability to mimic the birds was incredible. When I wrote up my trip report I recommended him highly, and I hope that others heading to CR will heed both your and my advice and look him up. I'm glad you enjoyed your time in Monteverde.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back