• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thoughts on a mealworm feeder? (1 Viewer)

InfernoOrangeSS

Veritas Aequitas
I was thinking of adding a mealworm feeder to my back porch feeders and would like some thoughts on what others use to offer them to the birds. It would most likely be the dried mealworms due to ease of feeding, but I could see eventually going the rehydrated route. I would also prefer something that hangs, if possible. I would just like other's thoughts on what would work best, or has worked best for them.
Thank you in advance.

I live in an upstairs flat, so my options are a little different. I have window feeders and put some in a tray feeder for the tits (chickadees) Sparrows and Chaffinches, a few spread along the window ledge, then throw the rest onto the grass below (no-one walks there) for the Robin, Blackbirds, Starlings etc.

The ones I get are dried, but I soak them overnight, not sure if it makes any difference though LOL.

I've had a small feeder with dried mealworms up for almost a week with no activity. I think I will give it more time and then switch to rehydrated mealworms.

Just a small update...my mealworm feeder is seeing incredible activity lately. I stuck with the dried mealworms and I guess as it's become colder, it has become more attractive to the birds. I hadn't seen these birds before, and never at the seed feeders. Feeling great that I left it up. Now, I'm refilling it every 3-4 days.

Just a small update...my mealworm feeder is seeing incredible activity lately. I stuck with the dried mealworms and I guess as it's become colder, it has become more attractive to the birds. I hadn't seen these birds before, and never at the seed feeders. Feeling great that I left it up. Now, I'm refilling it every 3-4 days.

I bought one of these and it's been up about a week

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Supa-Mealworm-Wild-Bird-Feeder-x/dp/B002DGI9AM

It's cheap and cheerful but gets it done.

The Bluetits are the only ones that seem interested but now that they've got used to it they love it! I agree the dip in temperature seems to provoke changes in 'taste' - certainly amongst our little local bird community.

One day they favour Suet, the next, mixed seeds and on some days Mealworm.

Me too ! Soup and a sandwich one day, cod and chips the next hot curry at the weekend.

Tm

Last edited:
We just scatter the meal worms around the base of the feeder and some randomly around the top of the garden on the grass.
If you have to have it raised then why not suspend a flat surface somewhere and sprinkle them on that?

Over winter we've found the most popular feeding item is a 'berries and bugs' suet cake bought from The Range. EVERYTHING seems to like them. Judging by the teeth marks, the squirrels like them, I've seen a woodpecker on it, even saw a jay eyeing it up, plus all the usual garden suspects.

We just scatter the meal worms around the base of the feeder and some randomly around the top of the garden on the grass.
If you have to have it raised then why not suspend a flat surface somewhere and sprinkle them on that?

Over winter we've found the most popular feeding item is a 'berries and bugs' suet cake bought from The Range. EVERYTHING seems to like them. Judging by the teeth marks, the squirrels like them, I've seen a woodpecker on it, even saw a jay eyeing it up, plus all the usual garden suspects.

My feeder is a small base made of a wire-like sceeen and has a small clear roof above it. I bought it on the cheap side from Amazon just to test if the birds around here like them. Lately, they have been a big hit.

I will have to look for the suet came you mentioned. I am about to replace my two suet cakes as they appear to have started to mold a bit and I'm not sure if that's healthy for the birds. Thank you for the suggestion!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back