• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2020 (2 Viewers)

10 Brown Creeper I suspect they have been around all month, but needed to be outside to hear one, then track it down.
11 Barred Owl A regular, but not seen for several months, so great to have back again.

I suspect there is a small flock of Red Crossbills flying around, but not 100% confident on the call ID, so am going to have to wait until they settle low enough for me to see.

Attachments

• bf owl.jpg
    bf owl.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 44
10 Brown Creeper I suspect they have been around all month, but needed to be outside to hear one, then track it down.
11 Barred Owl A regular, but not seen for several months, so great to have back again.

I suspect there is a small flock of Red Crossbills flying around, but not 100% confident on the call ID, so am going to have to wait until they settle low enough for me to see.

Great shot of a Barred Owl Jasper!...here's mine from Oregon a few years back now and looking somewhat greyer....probably a senior.:-O

Attachments

• P1340452.jpeg    Barred Owl 1..jpg
    P1340452.jpeg Barred Owl 1..jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 47
Several additions these last few days included

16. Lesser Black-backed Gull
17. Snow Goose
18. Cooper's hawk

The highlight for sure was seeing my first clear-cut

19. Cackling Goose (yard lifer)

from the yard! This winter has brought 8 or more Cacklers to my local reservoir, so I was delighted but not shocked to see this pale mini fly past with Canadas.

By yard lifer, do you mean a new bird for your yard, but not for you?

A new bird for your yard which is also a personal lifer is obviously pretty special ... ;)

50 (if we're counting feral pig) :

Heron

One right past the window.

And another:

Grey Wagtail !

somewhat distant.

Last edited:
Time runs and I've been busy (read: Lazy).

Jan 11th:
#20. Common Redpoll

Jan 19th:
#21. Herring Gull - I'm quite sure I've never seen it in January before (It's been unusually warm here.)

Jan 28th:
#22. Yellowhammer

If the Birdmeisters Cagling Goose is a Lifer, my vote of Bird of the Month goes there. :t:

So far my best bird is Hawfinch. I've seen them (yes them, 'cos there has been two birds after the first time.) twice after the January 5th.

Attachments

• dddcP1280916.jpg
    dddcP1280916.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 45
By yard lifer, do you mean a new bird for your yard, but not for you?

A new bird for your yard which is also a personal lifer is obviously pretty special ... ;)

Ah, sorry Dan! I see that looks a bit confusing. "Yard lifer" simply means a new species for the yard. If I saw a "real" lifer from the yard, I'd be ecstatic!

Ah, sorry Dan! I see that looks a bit confusing. "Yard lifer" simply means a new species for the yard. If I saw a "real" lifer from the yard, I'd be ecstatic!

'Just' a yard tick ... still not bad, depending on how long you've been recording or how common/nice a bird they generally are. I've only had a handful of 'Garden lifers', probably the case for others on here? Feral Pigeon was a garden tick the other day - I would have put it in bold, red and underlined it, but didn't want to upset old Halftwo too much ... ;)

Went up to the field the other day, only third time this year; just to remind this is c6 acres (c1.5 hectares?) actually owned by myself, and hence qualifies as some kind of 'garden' on here for listing purposes.

Anyway:

Field List;

Field, nr Falmouth, Cornwall

18th January 2020

1) Goldcrest
2) Song Thrush
3) Raven
4) Magpie
5) Jackdaw
6) Robin (including the attack version)
7) Bullfinch (heard)
8) Blue Tit
9) Dunnock

20th January 2020

10) Redwing
11) Common Snipe

28th January 2020

12) Long-tailed Tit
13) Grey Wagtail

Mostly rather quiet. Hopefully more to come when I start getting up there more.

I inadvertently miscounted my Starling as no.46 when it should have been 48. that withstanding, slid out my back gate this am struggling to stay upright! (not drink..but the mud) looked up to see low at canopy height all dark Buzzard heading South, a quick glance through the bins in the gloom revealed an all dark bird (even the hands), too late to unzip the camera bag. Reprimanding myself for not being prepared..when another Buzzard appeared on the same trajectory and height as the first, however managed a short film clip, then as it disappeared through the canopy another bird appeared again very low coming towards out the gloom. Right overhead despite my best attempts the sodding camera wouldn’t focus on imm.(fem.I think) Accipter gentilis looking very Harrier like as it creased my neighbour’s roof going East no.49.

Wow, seems they are at least annual at your place, Ken.

I think bimillennial here!

Nothing new today (been out looking at a Rough-legged Buzzard) but a second Raven was nice.

Wow, seems they are at least annual at your place, Ken.

Backing on to 6000 acres of deciduous woodland H, at it’s narrowest point running NE-SW (c6miles in length), a sort of conduit,...kinda helps concentrate “lost souls” on passage. :t:

Great shot of a Barred Owl Jasper!...here's mine from Oregon a few years back now and looking somewhat greyer....probably a senior.:-O

Ha! I'm getting greyer, but not counting myself as senior quite yet!
Our local Barreds can be very accommodating, though they always give off an aloof air. We have hammocks set up outside, and one has flown in to one of the trees we're hanging from, and stayed put for over an hour. Not such a regular sight so far this year, but we've had less snow so they haven't been as reliant on hunting the under the feeder voles.

'Just' a yard tick ... still not bad, depending on how long you've been recording or how common/nice a bird they generally are. I've only had a handful of 'Garden lifers', probably the case for others on here?

You got me thinking about Garden lifers. I only started listing properly soon after we moved to this place, so I'll edit out those that I likely saw before but didn't have written down. That leaves me with:
Eastern Whippoorwill - heard only. The only heard only bird I've got on my list. Would love to see one one day!
Yellow-billed cuckoo - heard from bed and went to investigate as I didn't have a clue what it was. Tracked it down, then ran home to wake up Dad who was visiting, lifer for both of us. I've only seen one since.
Northern Saw-whet Owl. Turned up on my birthday in 2018. Partner still claims he organised it as a gift!

Three very nice birds indeed. Wonder what will be next!

American Kestrel_7.jpg

Remember the American Kestrel I said was a local? Well, I finally got a great picture of it. It was roosting on my backyard fence. It looks like it was interested in my backyard pet.

Sophie.jpg

I was thinking to myself, "First off, that rabbit, (Named Sophie,) is very territorial. She killed a cat and chased off a red tailed hawk once. Second off, she is 3 times your size. You dont stand a chance against Sophie."

Then, the kestrel dove towards its prey in my backyard. I saw it happen. I think it saw a mouse.

Unfortunately, it missed and flew off.

It was a good experience seeing an American Kestrel in action.

Jared

Lucky you and lucky for Sophie.

Wow, my daughter had rabbits as pets and it would never occur to me that they could kill another animal as they always seemed so peaceful.

Lucky you and lucky for Sophie.

Wow, my daughter had rabbits as pets and it would never occur to me that they could kill another animal as they always seemed so peaceful.

Some rabbits are very peaceful like that, but some of them are very territorial. Take mine for instance. She is a Netherland Dwarf Californian mix, unspayed. She is VERY territorial.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back