• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdfeeder problem - not dispensing food (1 Viewer)

suzieemm

I have one of those 4 hole seed and peanut dispensers for the birds but any food which I have placed in the container does not seem to drop down into the feeding hole - why is this? I also have another one of these feeders which also does the same thing and I do not know why. Even when I cleaned out the feeder in case of a blockage somewhere it still would not drop through easily, only when I shook it fiercely did it drop down. If I want to have seed and peanuts there I have to push it though the holes myself so at least the birds have something for a short while. This means I have to go out each day and push food into these holes so at least some lucky birds get a little for a very short while. Is it maybe that these feeders are cheap and would a dearer one do the job better? Can anyone help? Regards.

Unless it is a special type, you shouldn't put peanuts in a seed feeder. They should be put in a wire mesh feeder, so the birds (blue tits, great tits and Great Spotted Woodpecker) can peck at the nuts through the mesh.
Use the standard feeder for either mixed seed or sunflower seeds. Even better are sunflower seed hearts, but they are also the most expensive.
Hope that helps.

Denny has best remedy.Our nuthatches and red-bellied woodpecker here delighted to take halves,wedge under a piece of bark on tree and partake at leisure...if they remember where "stash" is.Feeders mentioned by Denny best.

Seed feeders work best with smaller seeds. Even a seed mix can clog them up if its got bigger bits of cereal in it.

I have the same problem with my tube feeder. I put safflower seed in it and the seeds don't drop down on their own. I have to shake the feeder or stick something in each hole to get the seed to fall. Very frustrating.

As mentioned, it's best to keep your seed and peanuts seperate, have a look around for some better feeders perhaps, making sure they have good drainage, easy access to the food and a slanted base to ensure the seed flows at the bottom. The Jacobi Jayne Ring-pull is our best seller nowadays, tho it is expensive, it works very well and is incredibly easy to clean.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back