Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Birding Dalian + Hainan

Old Tuesday 8th October 2019, 14:40   #1
cranefan

Birding Dalian + Hainan

Hello all,

A last minute request for any help possible! I'm expecting to be travelling to China next week, and should have a couple of days free in Dalian (21-22 October) and Hainan (27-28 October). I would love to fit in some birding in these places if possible!

I wondered if anyone knows any local birders or bird guides in either of these locations? I speak Chinese so that's not a problem. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Aron
Old Wednesday 9th October 2019, 06:19   #2
Owen Krout
BF Supporter 2019

Welcome Cranefan to the China birding threads.

I am further north in the Panjin, Liaoning area, but I did reach out to the one real expert I know from that area. He is back in British Columbia now, but he knows the area like the back of his hand. You might want to look through Tom's old thread from when he was still in the Dalian area at: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=165968

I will say the one sure bet for this time of year should be Laotaishan at the southern tip of the peninsula.

Are you referring to Hainan Island in Hong Kong? If so, there is another expert for Hong Kong, Mike is at: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=367545

Both are superb places to bird!

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 9th October 2019, 09:41   #3
cranefan

Hi Owen,

Thanks so much for sharing - it sounds like just setting up camp at Laotieshan for a couple of days might be the way to go! I'll read those reports with interest.

I meant Hainan as in Hainan Province (Jianfengling, Yinggeling etc.). At the moment I'm planning on trying Jianfengling but of course some local expertise would make all the difference.

Thanks again
Aron
Old Wednesday 9th October 2019, 10:59   #4
Owen Krout
BF Supporter 2019

You might try posting a copy of your inquiry to Gretchen's thread "China Observations", which tends to serve as a general "anything about China" thread. https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=155285https

Old Wednesday 9th October 2019, 17:47   #5
Dong Bei
Tom

Dalian birding

Aron,

Where exactly in Dalian are you staying? Are you able to travel? Laotieshan is 1 hour southwest of Dalian city, 1.5 hours from the Dalian Development Zone, and 2 hours southwest of Jinshitan where I lived.

Owen is correct. Laotieshan is a premier birding site this time of year. It will depend on the weather considerably but the forest areas near the point and farm areas just back inland a few kms should produce a nice list for you. You should prepare to see most of the east Asian bunting species among many other things. You will be at the tailing end of raptore migration as well so there should be a lot of raptors to be seen crossing the Bohai.

There are some budget options to stay there about 5-10 kms inland from and could be other options closer to the point as well. There are a few small hotels that may not be able to reserve online but if you speak Mandarin, you should not have a problem. Also, arrange a black or regular cab to pick you up and drop you off in the area at certain times. There is also a bus station right at the bottom of the turnoff to go into the protected area but the last bus of the day is often before birders want to go home around 5:00 pm. You can search my old forum about birding in Dalian as Owen said but also check www.birdingbeijing.com for good maps of the area showing trails, etc... I've also attached some maps here that I've used in the past. On the image titled "capture 2", the red areas are not able to be entered by birders because that is a military area. Part of the Laotieshan experience has been the dance between where you can and cannot go due to military sensitivities in the area. I'm hoping that now people there are most used to Chinese and foreign birders in the area because Laotieshan has grown in popularity considerably in the last 5-10 years. On the same image, the blue lines show popular birding trails/roads. On the image titled "capture" the red line shows the main access road and the blue dot shows the hotel where I usually stayed. I was easily able to find a black cab near that hotel to drop me off and pick me up whenever I wanted.

In addition to the birds, the place is known for snakes :) By this late in the year, depending on the temperature, they might all be in their winter dens. However, look carefully before venturing off the trail too far. There are a lot of rat snakes, Keelbacks, etc.. that are not poisonous but there are Pallas's Pit Vipers in the area (as well on Snake Island off the the coast there) that you do not want to encounter. Long thick pants and good boots!

Dalian will be quite birdy because it's on a south facing peninsula and you will be there in the fall. There should be good numbers of migrants in the forest/farming areas just inland from the point if you're not seeing good raptor numbers during the day from the lighthouse platform area.

Tom
www.revealednature.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Laotieshan hotel map.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	707117  Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	707118  Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture 2.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	707119  
Old Friday 11th October 2019, 15:55   #6
cranefan

Hi Tom,

Thank you so much for taking the time to put all this information together! This looks extremely useful, thank you.

I was planning to stay as close to Laotieshan as possible so your suggestion looks ideal. And the snakes warning especially well noted!

I look forward to reading through your old thread with interest.

Thanks,
Aron
Old Saturday 12th October 2019, 11:12   #7
johnjemi

Hi Aron,

This is ten years old (the years fly by) but Mingfeng Gou (Phoenix Valley) had a boardwalk and decent habitat. I believe the accommodation there has become very run down

http://johnjemi.hk/journey_tr/cn/hn09_11/one.html
Old Wednesday 16th October 2019, 04:09   #8
Owen Krout
BF Supporter 2019

Just thought I would mention that the activity seems to still be hopping at LaoTaiShan. If you (or anyone else) don't know, you can check on ebird by clicking on Explore and then Explore Regions and enter Liaoning, China.

Old Monday 21st October 2019, 20:37   #9
Dong Bei
Tom

Aron, we would love to hear how you are doing at Laotieshan right now. Please let us know here if you are able.
Tom
Old Monday 21st October 2019, 23:34   #10
Owen Krout
BF Supporter 2019

Yes, very interested! Not just the birding itself, but details about how the trip worked out.

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: