• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

LUGGAGE QUESTION - Skybus Land's End to Scillies (1 Viewer)

Jason Middleton

Hi
Thinking of taking the Skybus to the Scillies next August 19 and noticed that the luggage allowance is on the small side (only 15kg hold luggage and 3kg cabin luggage). With the weight of birding kit (scope, tripod, binos, cameras etc) I am assuming that regular birders doing such a trip have no option but to put their equipment (suitably protected of course) through as hold luggage.

Is this safe generally? Should I be worried? Any horror stories?

Jason

Things have changed I'm afraid. Obviously the tripod can go in the hold with your main luggage but your scuppered with what you can nowadays take on board. Bins round your neck for the flight and scope in your hand luggage. I'm old fashioned cause I don't carry a camera.
Your clothes, outdoor gear and boots will take your up close to 15kg, even with modern lightweight garments, but you know that.
You might have to consider paying excess baggage fee for your camera and lenses and put them in a suitable " bombproof" case, that's the only option if they'll allow it.
Or else take the Scillonian III if you're not pushed for time.
You should get some ideas from those toggers going for this year's " Scilly season" trip.

Last edited:
How intriguing. But the guy demonstrating it is on the thin side. Anyone else of a slightly rotund build would end up looking like the Michelin Man*.
I.O.S. Travel website says " luggage allowance of 15kg but not to exceed 20kg," Perhaps ring them and establish what's what.

* For those of a certain age.

I flew each way on the eight seater last month and there was no cabin luggage allowed as there is nowhere to put it. Everything went in the 'hold' which is little more than a big cupboard at the back. They put fragile labels on our small bags that we had intended taking into the cabin. Everything was fine.

At check-in you are weighed to work out where each person has to sit. My 19.5 stones was probably more of a problem than my 3kg cabin bag.

Steve

Or fly for convenience and comfort but put your heavy gear on the Scillonian.
John

but do pack it well. I've only been to the Scillies once (to my great regret) and that was for botanical and entomological fieldwork. We took moth traps, microscopes, etc., with us and had our own packing container. However, on arrival, as we watched it being off-loaded (at speed) it 'fell over'. Luckily all the quipment survived but it was not a pleasant thing to watch and could have completely ruined the trip!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back