• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upcoming TX Trip - Ferruginous Pygmy Owls? (1 Viewer)

TRT45

Getting close to my May trip - I'm excited... any of you folks have info on either: the best place(s) around the lower coast to look for, or better yet, the location of a known resident Ferruginous Pygmy Owl?

Thanks for your assistance.

According to this site -

http://www.narba.org/default.aspx/MenuItemID/105/MenuGroup/Home.htm

Lower Rio Grande Valley: Ferruginous Pygmy-Owl -- last update: Mar 7

Ferruginous Pygmy-Owls (FEPO) are sometimes heard (mainly winter and early spring) at Bentsen Rio Grande Valley SP-WBC in the pre-dawn hours. Remember, the use of tapes is not allowed at Bentsen or many LRGV sites. Always ask before using tapes. Ferruginous Pygmy-Owls are at San Miguelito Ranch about 10 miles north of Raymondville, easiest seen February through May. There is a fee to access this site, and prior arrangements are required. Contact Leticia Tijerina, at 956-369-3118. (Photos). They are also present on the King Ranch and often at El Canelo (both fee sites).

Latest Reports: Feb 21: 9am, one FEPO was seen at El Canelo Ranch. (Dave Hursh, Bill Drummond, others). Feb 23: 5 FEPO (3 heard, 2 seen) at King Ranch (Tom Langschied). Mar 5: pair of FEPO at San Miguelito Ranch Mar 6: one FEPO at San Miguelito Ranch (Tom Crabtree).

I've seen one once in about 8 trips to Bentsen Rio Grande, and that was in late April.

It wasn't pre-dawn but on one of the morning (0830) tours.

You can try a (paid) tour of the King Ranch. Apparently the owl is a bit difficult to schedule, but the tours aren't terribly pricey ($15). There was talk about it not long ago on Texbirds.

Good Advise

I agree Texbird and NARBA are your best bets as you get closer to your stay. My last guest was here throughout much of March and did not mention seeing the pygmy at Bentsen.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back