• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ringed Audouin's Gull (1 Viewer)

Mark Etheridge

Bird Shooter (With A Camera)
(Also posted in Bird Ringing Group)

Not sure if this is the right forum but here's an Audouin's Gull photographed today at the Clot de Galvany nature reserve near Alicante. As far as I can make it out, the ring reads AWYN on the right leg, there is a smaller ring also on the left leg.

Can anyone shed light on the ringing history of this bird? Thanks! :t:

Attachments

• Audouin.JPG
    Audouin.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 66
Hi
There's been some discussion recently on the Forum GOB site on this topic
http://gobmallorca.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3401
Martin

I don't suppose you could precis it for the non-Spanish readers ?? Looks like it might be interesting.

The bird pictured in this thread does not have any transmitter though, just a colour ring. Unless it is a much smaller transmitter than that shown on the GOB forum

Steve

This will have been ringed in Spain.

The address to report the ring is

[email protected]

But a reply could take a few years

Steve

I saw a ringed Audouin's Gull in Mallorca on 30 Aug 2011 and reported it via this e-mail address on my return to the UK in Sept 2011 and got a reply in April 2012, so the response time might be improving...

Of interest, the ring code on the bird I saw was AWMX and the bird had been ringed as a chick in Mallorca in 2008.

Cheers

Paul

Thanks for the info guys, my wife speaks excellent spanish so I'll get her to e-mail the authorities in their native language - we might get a speedier answer! :-O

There was definitely no sign of any transmitter on this bird, and he is a regular visitor to the Clot de Galvany as the very same bird was there again this afternoon!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys, my wife speaks excellent spanish so I'll get her to e-mail the authorities in their native language - we might get a speedier answer! :-O

There was definitely no sign of any transmitter on this bird, and he is a regular visitor to the Clot de Galvany as the very same bird was there again this afternoon!

GOB is a good suggestion - along with the books they provide

http://www.gobmenorca.com/

This link is in Spanish (changed it to English now) but might be useful (it can be changed into any language easily)

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back