• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recorder Comparison (1 Viewer)

kilianwasmer

Sony PCM-M10 vs. Roland R-05 vs. Olympus LS-12

Hi there,

I am going to buy a lightweight and inexpensive audio recorder for bird-ID, birdsounds, ambient sound recording etc. No need for pro equipment but the device should be good at least. I don't want to carry an external mic so the quality of the internal one(s) is an important aspect, too.

I picked out the Sony PCM-M10 and Roland R-05. According to reviews the Sony probably is as good as the Olympus LS-10 (now 11) but cheaper. The Roland is in the same price range but I could not find any comparisons to the Sony.

Which one would you recommend to for the purposes listed above? And what about the cheaper Olympus LS-12?

Last edited:
In theory I should be getting a Sony PCM-M10 heading my way before the weekend - fingers crossed. The Sony has a good reputation, however the microphones reputably have less directionality than many other similarly priced recorders. It takes micro SD cards as well as memory stick so hopefully transferring sound to the computer will be trivial.

If it turns up I can run a brief comparison against an LS-11.

One mag gave the Sony 5* so it is clearly no slouch. It also has sensible controls.

However - recording birdsong is rather more than the just a quality recorder and good internal mics.

Unless you have birds nearby the chances are that even in quiet woodland the birdsong will appear faint to the recorder - the recorder on its own has nothing like the ability of the human ear to compensate for environmental conditions. For many people they find their first attempts disapointing.

As others have found on this forum - read a few threads - the addition of a directional mic or two will make a tremendous difference.

Under the right conditions and with some software help (treat it as Photoshop for sound) the equipment you are talking about will record some varieties of birdsong. I was amazed at the clarity of an unaided LS-11 in my garden, however the birds were relatively near and I had added a windshield and isolated the recorder from vibration - handholding really degraded the sound. The LS-11 did not require any software enhancement in this case.

The LS-11 allowed me to really ramp up the recording level with excellent signal to noise on the recording. The Sony - reputably - may be as good.

Others I have tried produce a lot of amplification noise that has to be removed by software which is undesireable.

As to other recorders I know nothing about the Roland, I havn't played with the LS-12/14 but would be surprised if they had problems, however, they are less expensive than the LS-11 so may have less capable pre-amps - without trying one out I don't know.

As I commented to another forum member, these recorders are like the miniature system cameras you can get. Excellent value but they only come with the equivalent of a good semi wide angle lens. If you need anything else budget for it (there are many less than perfect mics out there - so go for the ones other people use). To start off there is free software around to get the hang of it before spending money.

On the other hand, if you are mainly into ambient sound and are prepared to buy or make a windshield (absolutely vital) and don't handhold one of these devices may be all you need.

I will repost if the Sony turns up and I have a chance to run a side by side comparison with an LS-11.

It turned up today with a rycote windjammer (not an included accessory) - unlike an LS-11 there is not a lot of space for the windshield.

It feels a solid bit of kit and most of the menus and controls are intuitive, however the weather is quite bleak and despite a blackbird going at full volume I think I will leave any testing until tomorrow.

The Sony comes with a copy of Sony Audio Studio 9 LE, however, I have a more modern full version, but it could have been quite useful if I hadn't. That is another comparison I must get round to at some time as I have many still and video sw packages as well and should get rid of a few.

I have decided that carrying out comparative testing on wild birdsong is quite valid test for me as most of these recorders seem to cope quite well when up close and personal with a musical instrument, but recording life isn't always that simple. Memories of a string quartet at a wedding in the open air which fortunately I was only had responsibilities as the second still camera unit, I think the guy doing video and sound on that day did a brilliant job!

Last edited:
Brief update as I had a sick dog to sort out today but the Sony seems to be a star performer.

For ambient sound the unit with the windjammer and remote control was absolutely brilliant. Basic settings at 96/24 were mic on high sensitivity, rec volume manual at about mid setting.

Birds clear far more audible than with human ear, distant rumble of traffic - again not audible normally, voice of a childs mother telling it to clear table from inside house about 100 ft away minimum - assume windows open unable to determine source since nearest houses don't have children and owners out.

I was picking up a very slight clicking on the left channel but suspect that this is due to the headphones that are plugged in close to the lh mic, a lot closer than on most recorders. I managed to get rid of it by re-attaching the headphones but it is something that needs watching - the breeze was disturbing the cable slightly. Memo to self - try different headphones.

Actually got round to reading the manual but I only learnt a limited amount since it is pretty self evident - switches and knobs for all the primary functions. It has seperate leds that light at -24 db and clippng volume on both channels, though these are obscured by the windjammer.

Definitely a practical bit of kit that performs as you would expect from the Sony Professional side of the business.

It does not have a case but one designed a miniature back-up hard drive fits reasonably and has an elastic strap to stop you dropping it when opening.

Will dig out the LS-11 another session but I think the Sony is shaping up as a potential winner for ambient sounds, but until the head to head, I will not pre-judge.

It also managed to get life out of one of my least useful stereo mics that defeats most recorders and pc sound cards, this seems to speak volumes for its pre-amps.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back