• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone else like Birds AND planes? (1 Viewer)

That is interesting but a quick Google couldn't find an (obvious) picture of one, quite like to see that.

The colours some of those PR Spits were painted were interesting!

Well, if the weather finally gets around to declaring summer in the near future I'll be making a trip down to Duxford for the Flying Legends next month. I've not decided which day yet, I'll let the weather decide.

I'm looking forward to trying out my new toy (Sigma 150-600 zoom) on the display.

I've fine-tuned the focus to make it crisper since I took this shot of a Tucano at East Chevington at the beginning of May, when I'd just had the lens a week, so I'll be expecting a good time.

I've not been to Duxford since I was there for a birthday treat (a flight in a Tiger Moth) in 2009. I love the place, but 250 miles each way doesn't put it on the doorstep.

Attachments

• Tucano-(5)-web.jpg
    Tucano-(5)-web.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 45
There's another of my fav planes the Tucano. I once offered the Station Commander at Linton on Ouse a ride in my Cherokee Arrow for a go in a Tucano, sadly, though not surprisingly, he declined although he said I was welcome to visit. I could have flown one of those on my licence, I wonder if there will be a repeat of the Bulldog sell off in the future, with that lovely engine too!

Richard,
You mean the Horten Ho II L Habicht, the test prototype for the Horten series of tailless designs in WWII? Or not...;)
MJB

Err, I've lost track of things since they withdrew the BAC one eleven ;) but just as a matter of interest, if the Horten (bad) Habicht had no tail how could they steer it?

John, just to add to your neat summary, from the Mk 21 onwards, the Spitfire (and Seafire) had a new design of elliptical wing, elegant, but not as much as the early Marks. It was this design that was revised to add extended wingtips for high-altitude work.

Keeping to the theme of extended wings for high altitude, the Mosquito PR32 had extended wings and, I seem to remember, Hamilton Standard 4-blade propellors for excellent high-altitude performance. Eight were built, and were lightened as much as possible, although additional fuel capacity was added. Three were at RAF Leuchars for some time, and undertook several long-distance recce missions along the Russian front, landing in Italy where the allies had secured airfields south of the Gothic line. After refuelling, the next day they returned to Leuchars, usually filming over the western front and probably via RAF Benson, which had air film processing capabilities and was close to RAF Medmenham where the Allied Reconnassance Interpretation Unit could analyse the images.
MJB

Mmm. I think you will find that when the Luftwaffe started flying Ju8Ps over Southern England above 40,000 feet early in 1942 the RAF first deployed the Spitfire HFVI, which was a specially lightened Mk V with extended wingtips. Hampered, inevitably, by the Merlin 45, it couldn't cope. The planned upgrade - as for the standard fighter - was to be the Mk VIII, but the posh upgrades including retractable tailwheel took too long and I think the HFVII was next out of the box, with the very pointy wingtips first seen on the VI and a Merlin 61 forced into the Mk V airframe as for the Mk IX. It also featured a pointed tailfin which actually looks very nice and features on some restored aircraft.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/be/Spitfire_VII_Langley_USA.jpg

The Mosquito was planned to have wingtips extended to some 65 feet but strength considerations limited it to just over 59 feet. The bomber (two-stage Merlins of course) was first out of development, intended to make use of OBOE at the maximum possible range - but de Havilland were asked to contribute to anti-Ju86P measures and in a week (!!) sawed the bomber nose off their high-altitude aircraft, installed the four-Browning one they'd previously sawed off an NFII to install one of the first dish antenna airborne radars, and MP469 became the first NFXV high altitude fighter. It and some slightly more refined production examples were given to 85 Squadron, then under John Cunningham, who took them up beyond 45,000 feet. A description of one of these flights is in CF Rawnsley's Night Fighter.

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/album/watermark.php?file=5046&size=1

Unless I'm much mistaken the PR32 post-dates these shenanigans.

I'd love to see one of these delicate pointy beauties but right now I'd settle for any flying Mosquito variant in Britain!

John

Last edited:
Mmm. I think you will find that when the Luftwaffe started flying Ju8Ps over Southern England above 40,000 feet early in 1942 the RAF first deployed the Spitfire HFVI, which was a specially lightened Mk V with extended wingtips. Hampered, inevitably, by the Merlin 45, it couldn't cope. The planned upgrade - as for the standard fighter - was to be the Mk VIII, but the posh upgrades including retractable tailwheel took too long and I think the HFVII was next out of the box, with the very pointy wingtips first seen on the VI and a Merlin 61 forced into the Mk V airframe as for the Mk IX. It also featured a pointed tailfin which actually looks very nice and features on some restored aircraft.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/be/Spitfire_VII_Langley_USA.jpg

The Mosquito was planned to have wingtips extended to some 65 feet but strength considerations limited it to just over 59 feet. The bomber (two-stage Merlins of course) was first out of development, intended to make use of OBOE at the maximum possible range - but de Havilland were asked to contribute to anti-Ju86P measures and in a week (!!) sawed the bomber nose off their high-altitude aircraft, installed the four-Browning one they'd previously sawed off an NFII to install one of the first dish antenna airborne radars, and MP469 became the first NFXV high altitude fighter. It and some slightly more refined production examples were given to 85 Squadron, then under John Cunningham, who took them up beyond 45,000 feet. A description of one of these flights is in CF Rawnsley's Night Fighter. http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/album/watermark.php?file=5046&size=1
Unless I'm much mistaken the PR32 post-dates these shenanigans.
I'd love to see one of these delicate pointy beauties but right now I'd settle for any flying Mosquito variant in Britain! John

I think you've got that pretty well right, John. My father was officially grounded on his inability to distinguish pale blue lights from pale green at night, in late 1943, but being an Observer and a whizz at figures (he could add up a bank balance sheet in £sd from a ledger and carry it over to the next page and write down the correct total in about 30 seconds), he constantly filled in when navigators called in sick. His logbook, which vanished when his house was cleared after he died, listed three late 1944/early 1945 sorties from Leuchars in PR32s (which had been refitted on-base with extra heating footsprays). The only time he talked about that simply reflected his sense of wonder on a cloudless day when from around 38,000 feet he and his pilot could see the flashes of artillery from both the Russian and western fronts...
MJB

I think you've got that pretty well right, John. My father was officially grounded on his inability to distinguish pale blue lights from pale green at night, in late 1943, but being an Observer and a whizz at figures (he could add up a bank balance sheet in £sd from a ledger and carry it over to the next page and write down the correct total in about 30 seconds), he constantly filled in when navigators called in sick. His logbook, which vanished when his house was cleared after he died, listed three late 1944/early 1945 sorties from Leuchars in PR32s (which had been refitted on-base with extra heating footsprays). The only time he talked about that simply reflected his sense of wonder on a cloudless day when from around 38,000 feet he and his pilot could see the flashes of artillery from both the Russian and western fronts...
MJB

Fabulous. It boggles the mind - especially sitting in that little plywood box with two piston engines roaring away just outside, able to see the curve of the earth and all that territory right across Europe!

I'm sorry you lost the logbook to house clearance.

Cheers

John

Flying Legends.

Still winding down from the four hour drive back from Duxford.

The day was rather good.B :)

A few early edits, chosen more or less at random. Bare varnished metal seems to be very much in fashion.

Attachments

• IMG_0742-web.jpg
    IMG_0742-web.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0948-web.jpg
    IMG_0948-web.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0916-web.jpg
    IMG_0916-web.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1041-web.jpg
    IMG_1041-web.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Still winding down from the four hour drive back from Duxford.

The day was rather good.B :)

A few early edits, chosen more or less at random. Bare varnished metal seems to be very much in fashion.

Beat me to it, I'm currently having a break from deleting the dross from my camera before downloading ones to consider to working on. I've been at it since 0730 this morning.....

Best Legends in years. Non-stop piston action for hours, multi-aircraft scrambles, big formations, immaculate aerobatics, tailchases.... my head is still spinning!

I was on the tank bank. Where were you?

John

Beat me to it, I'm currently having a break from deleting the dross from my camera before downloading ones to consider to working on. I've been at it since 0730 this morning.....

Best Legends in years. Non-stop piston action for hours, multi-aircraft scrambles, big formations, immaculate aerobatics, tailchases.... my head is still spinning!

I was on the tank bank. Where were you?

John

We were opposite the flight line, near the west end in front of the corsairs and sea furies, next to the 'Monarch' airliner. As you say, a brilliant show. It's the first time I've been down to the Flying Legends since 1998, I think, but I've been to Duxford at other times, most recently for a Tiger Moth flight for a 2008 birthday present. Time flies. where did those years ago? It seems more recent than that.

Notable absences from the flight display this year were swordfish and Lysanders. What's happened there? Loved the stuff that did take part, mind.

My wife loves the Lysanders. She calls them 'Gremlins' because on the ground with the shape of their cockpit and high wings they remind her of the faces of the little beasties in the film 'Gremlins'. I was surprised at how big they are when I first saw them back in those days.

I've just finished going through the first cull. I've dropped the number of photos to bang on 1800 from just over 2500 taken and downloaded last night. There's still a long way to go. I filled two and a half 32GB cards. To think I was considering that I'd only need one, because I thought there was no way I'd take more than a thousand photos in a day. Dream on. I'll organise them into files of each type, then I'll go through again getting rid of the ones I've given the benefit of the doubt to on the first cut. To put the numbers in context, 2500 is about what I'd expect to bring back from a two or three week birding holiday in Spain.

One criticism of the display: I was delighted when the commentator announced as the first take-offs were going on that he was going to shut up now, and cut down on the interruptions to let us enjoy the engine noise. Five minutes later he introduced his co-commentator who then proceeded to not shut up long enough to draw breath for the next three hours-plus!

There was just enough cloud in the afternoon to make for interesting backgrounds, although that meant some inconvenient shade at times when I didn't want it.

I left it until Wednesday to decide on which day to visit and Saturday won when I saw that rain was forecast for today.

Three Mk Is

Attachments

• IMG_0105-web.jpg
    IMG_0105-web.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Don't think I'd better go,I went to Southport last year and managed to take 2500 pics.Given that Duxford most likely has a lot more going on I'd get completely carried away:king:

We were opposite the flight line, near the west end in front of the corsairs and sea furies, next to the 'Monarch' airliner. As you say, a brilliant show. It's the first time I've been down to the Flying Legends since 1998, I think, but I've been to Duxford at other times, most recently for a Tiger Moth flight for a 2008 birthday present. Time flies. where did those years ago? It seems more recent than that.

Notable absences from the flight display this year were swordfish and Lysanders. What's happened there? Loved the stuff that did take part, mind.

My wife loves the Lysanders. She calls them 'Gremlins' because on the ground with the shape of their cockpit and high wings they remind her of the faces of the little beasties in the film 'Gremlins'. I was surprised at how big they are when I first saw them back in those days.

I've just finished going through the first cull. I've dropped the number of photos to bang on 1800 from just over 2500 taken and downloaded last night. There's still a long way to go. I filled two and a half 32GB cards. To think I was considering that I'd only need one, because I thought there was no way I'd take more than a thousand photos in a day. Dream on. I'll organise them into files of each type, then I'll go through again getting rid of the ones I've given the benefit of the doubt to on the first cut. To put the numbers in context, 2500 is about what I'd expect to bring back from a two or three week birding holiday in Spain.

One criticism of the display: I was delighted when the commentator announced as the first take-offs were going on that he was going to shut up now, and cut down on the interruptions to let us enjoy the engine noise. Five minutes later he introduced his co-commentator who then proceeded to not shut up long enough to draw breath for the next three hours-plus!

There was just enough cloud in the afternoon to make for interesting backgrounds, although that meant some inconvenient shade at times when I didn't want it.

I left it until Wednesday to decide on which day to visit and Saturday won when I saw that rain was forecast for today.

Three Mk Is

I'm not sure why the Lizzie wasn't there, its only at Old Warden after all. Shuttleworth do have a full airshow programme of their own all summer, so perhaps they couldn't spare the flying hours or something.

The RNHF has only just got one Swordfish airworthy again and Legends clashed with Yeovilton Air Days, so that was never going to turn up, unfortunately.

I've spent all day culling 4800 down to 1050 on the back of the camera before considering uploading for a further cull. What worries me is I'm going to RIAT next Saturday and the flying programme is 1000 until 1730, not 1400 till 1730!

I agree about the inconvenience of the afternoon clouds. Always exactly when you don't want them!

John

I'm not sure why the Lizzie wasn't there, its only at Old Warden after all. Shuttleworth do have a full airshow programme of their own all summer, so perhaps they couldn't spare the flying hours or something.

The RNHF has only just got one Swordfish airworthy again and Legends clashed with Yeovilton Air Days, so that was never going to turn up, unfortunately.

I've spent all day culling 4800 down to 1050 on the back of the camera before considering uploading for a further cull. What worries me is I'm going to RIAT next Saturday and the flying programme is 1000 until 1730, not 1400 till 1730!

I agree about the inconvenience of the afternoon clouds. Always exactly when you don't want them!

John
You're going to need some bigger cards.

I visited the ''Poor man's'' Duxford yesterday (good value at £5 entry fee)....North Weald, Essex. Apart from watching close encounters of a ''close kind,'' that which made me wince before closing my eyes!
Upon re-opening...my gaze fell upon this absolutely ''stunningly beautiful'' African White-faced Scops Owl!

Clearly a ''Grey Import'' ;) and from an aesthete perspective, do they get any better than this?
IMO the best Owl that I've seen to date, and in the unlikely event of one being ''Sahara'' blown to these shores....I'll have to make do with these shots.

cheers

Attachments

• P1110864 (2) Spitfire and Hurricane 2..jpg
    P1110864 (2) Spitfire and Hurricane 2..jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 38
  • P1110873 (2) Spitfire and Hurricane 4..jpg
    P1110873 (2) Spitfire and Hurricane 4..jpg
    334.5 KB · Views: 38
  • P1110868 (2) Spitfire and Hurricane 6..jpg
    P1110868 (2) Spitfire and Hurricane 6..jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 41
  • P1110815 (2) African White-faced Scops Owl 3..jpg
    P1110815 (2) African White-faced Scops Owl 3..jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 31
  • P1110818 (2) African White-faced Scops Owl 4..jpg
    P1110818 (2) African White-faced Scops Owl 4..jpg
    132 KB · Views: 37
I think we've had this one before, but Saturday at Duxford was rather special. So courtesy of Flight Lieutenant John Magee, Royal Canadian Air Force:

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I’ve climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
of sun-split clouds, — and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of — wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov’ring there,
I’ve chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air....

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace.
Where never lark, or even eagle flew —
And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
- Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

The reader may attribute the illustrations as they see fit.

John

Attachments

• 20150711 (84)_Seafire_IIIc (800x533).jpg
    20150711 (84)_Seafire_IIIc (800x533).jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 20150711 (17)_Spitfires (800x533).jpg
    20150711 (17)_Spitfires (800x533).jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 20150711 (63)_Spitfire_Mk_Ia (533x800).jpg
    20150711 (63)_Spitfire_Mk_Ia (533x800).jpg
    102 KB · Views: 33
  • 20150711 (64)_Spitfire_Mk_Ia (800x533).jpg
    20150711 (64)_Spitfire_Mk_Ia (800x533).jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 20150711 (90)_Seafire_IIIc (800x533).jpg
    20150711 (90)_Seafire_IIIc (800x533).jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 41
I think we've had this one before, but Saturday at Duxford was rather special. So courtesy of Flight Lieutenant John Magee, Royal Canadian Air Force:

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I’ve climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
of sun-split clouds, — and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of — wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov’ring there,
I’ve chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air....

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace.
Where never lark, or even eagle flew —
And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
- Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

The reader may attribute the illustrations as they see fit.

John

Magee was one of those admirable, almost always unsung, quiet Americans who crossed the border into Canada in 1940 to join the RCAF to fight against the nakedly evil Nazi regime. That his poem can still touch our minds in ways that escape our control makes it all the more poignant that he died in an aircraft collision on 11 December 1941, barely four days after Pearl Harbor. I've been privileged to meet my fair share of such quiet Americans, not only in my time in the RAF, but also in the New World and in other countries, too - they've come in all shapes, sizes and backgrounds. Their qualities of reason, patience, kindness, humour and dignity never failed to impress me.

You can read something about his multicultural origins here http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafdigby/aboutus/johngillespiemageejr.cfm.
MJB

I had a choice, Flying Legends or 50th Wedding Anniversary at the in-laws in France. Guess which I chose (where chose = told to go to), still did see a Hummingbird Hawk Moth - woooo.

I must got the FL again, looks like it was fabulous, were there plenty of P51s?

I had a choice, Flying Legends or 50th Wedding Anniversary at the in-laws in France. Guess which I chose (where chose = told to go to), still did see a Hummingbird Hawk Moth - woooo.

I must got the FL again, looks like it was fabulous, were there plenty of P51s?

Only 5 P51s that I noticed.

This was a nice touch, with one of them escorting the B17 for the first part of its display.

Attachments

• B17-(28)-fbook.jpg
    B17-(28)-fbook.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 40

Users who are viewing this thread

Back