• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What Fish (1 Viewer)

snapper

Hi all any fish experts out there these shots were take today at carsington water in a narrow tree covered part of the lake there must have been about 100 of these rangeing in size from 3 to 5 inches can anyone ID them please.

Regards Snapper.

Attachments

• DSCN5592.JPG
    DSCN5592.JPG
    270.1 KB · Views: 200
  • DSCN5594.JPG
    DSCN5594.JPG
    212.1 KB · Views: 188
Reckon they're rudd, myself.

I pretty certain I can see the "upturned" mouth (bottom lip protruding beyond top) and set-back dorsal fin typical of rudd - on roach the front edge of the dorsal fin is in line with the pelvic fins, on rudd the dorsal is behind that line.

I'd agree with blythkeith for all the reasons he gives. Feeding at the surface as seen in the photos is also typical Rudd behaviour - hence the upturned mouth.

Stuart

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back