• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

stay on case (1 Viewer)

pimpelmees

is a stay on case necessary on the ATS 65mm scope , i like using the scope without a cover , i always put the scope in a backpack during travel good protected. Who is using this one also without a cover without problems.

I'm using scopes (Zeiss DiaScope 85, Swarowski ATX 95, Zeiss Harpia) without theses cases since more 5 years. No problems. Take care for the glass surfaces, not for the armor rubber.

Means: always use caps.

Agreed. By all means protect the scope when it is being transported, but in the field SOCs are just a hindrance. I even suspect that they could cause surface wear through abrasion. I used an unprotected Diascope 65 for six years, an ATM 65 for the past seven years and a Kowa 883 for the past two years and none of them showed any noticeable signs of external damage. The Zeiss and the Kowa both lacked rubber armouring.

John

When i bought my ATS65HD some years ago, i was offered a deal on a Kite Skua stay-on case with it, which i took - not really knowing if it needed it or not at that stage.
The Kite case is made from a fairly substantial neoprene, and has been on ever since (other than the yearly run through a cold wash).
The Swaro 65 seems to me to be a fairly robust model and is waterproof, so technically, it probably doesn't need it. However, i have dropped it a couple of times, and feel that the case probably offered some protection. This case doesn't impede any of the functions (zoom, focus) and seems to dry quickly after being soaked. I felt it more substantial than the Swaro one -tighter fitting and more padded.
I kinda wish there was a similar product for the Kowa 883, as i feel a little more vulnerable with the magnesium body. I know of three instances of the scope toppling backwards causing impact to the 'shoulder' of the angled scope, and cracking....
It's really got to be your call on this. It's probably not strictly necessary and many don't use SOCs at all. I just thought that when buying a scope of that price, the 7% or so extra on the price for a bit of extra protection (including sand, dust etc.) was worth the peace of mind.

paddy7, post 4,
Try to contact Kite, they may be able to supply you with one for the Kowa telescope.
Gijs van Ginkel
Thanks for the suggestion Gijs - i guess Richard's reply is fairly conclusive, but i would not think it beyond having it done privately, if i get in the mood! I couldn't do it myself though - i still regard my sewing skills as 'cotton welding'.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back