• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best period for Forest and Woodland birds (1 Viewer)

JGobeil

Nature Photographer
I have already done 2 birding trips in Florida in the past years and I have enjoyed good success with Whetland and Aquatic birds. For my next trip in 2019, I would like to put more emphasis on the other types: passerines, forest, woodland, grassland, etc...

Both trips were made during the first 2 weeks of April (2014 and 2018), East Coast and Keys only. This year, I plan to concentrate on the West Coast with also a few days on the East Coast. I plan to fly to Orlando, go down to Homestead, go through the Everglades, then up the West Coast to Tampa.

Should I go earlier in order to have better success with the birds I have missed in the first 2 trips ? If so, what would be the best time ? Any suggestions for great birding places for these species ?

Jules
Quebec City, Canada
https://www.flickr.com/photos/julesgobeil/

I think going earlier in the year is probably better. I have found the best time for birding in Florida is during the migration season, starting around the end of October through last February. I think this especially true of inland birding. Birding along the coast and wetlands is pretty great year round, but the best way to see a variety of birds in the interior will be the winter migrants.

One must-see in Florida is the Florida scrub-jay, which I believe is our only endemic species. If your trip is limited to South Florida, I'd suggest looking for them at Jonathan Dickinson State Park, near the city of Jupiter on the Atlantic Coast, about mid-way between Orlando and Miami.

There are some great birding spots in the central part of the state. Kissimmee Prairie Preserve State Park is great, and has excellent campgrounds. Crested caracaras and bald eagles are frequently seen in this area. There's also a stretch of road just a little south of Orlando called Joe Overstreet Rd near the town of Kenansville where you can do some great car birding. It's not a park, just a public gravel road in a part of the state that tends to attract a lot of birds.

Down south, make sure to check out Loxahatchee NWR, where they have snail kites and smooth billed anis. Ding Darling over on the Gulf coast is also a must-see if you didn't go on your last trip.

I think going earlier in the year is probably better. I have found the best time for birding in Florida is during the migration season, starting around the end of October through last February. I think this especially true of inland birding. Birding along the coast and wetlands is pretty great year round, but the best way to see a variety of birds in the interior will be the winter migrants.

One must-see in Florida is the Florida scrub-jay, which I believe is our only endemic species. If your trip is limited to South Florida, I'd suggest looking for them at Jonathan Dickinson State Park, near the city of Jupiter on the Atlantic Coast, about mid-way between Orlando and Miami.

There are some great birding spots in the central part of the state. Kissimmee Prairie Preserve State Park is great, and has excellent campgrounds. Crested caracaras and bald eagles are frequently seen in this area. There's also a stretch of road just a little south of Orlando called Joe Overstreet Rd near the town of Kenansville where you can do some great car birding. It's not a park, just a public gravel road in a part of the state that tends to attract a lot of birds.

Down south, make sure to check out Loxahatchee NWR, where they have snail kites and smooth billed anis. Ding Darling over on the Gulf coast is also a must-see if you didn't go on your last trip.

Hey thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Regarding timing, Jan. and Feb. are in peak tourist season and have less appeal for me. I'm thinking Mid March, 2 weeks before my last trips in April but it is not definitive yet.

Thanks for the suggestions. I took good note of Dickinson State Park for the Scrub Jays. Also, we are planning a full day south of Orlando, to visit Joe Overstreet Landing, Kissimmee Prairie Preserve State Park and the Prairie Bird Driving Loop: it should be quite interesting.

I visited Loxahatchee in 2014 with mixed results. Very few birds but this is a large park and I may have missed the productive places. I was the only human there all day... I'll do some research to find out where to go. Nearby Wakodahatchee and Green Cay were much more productive, almost too easy...

I have a comprehensive list of the best places like Ding Darling, Merritt Island, Fort De Soto, etc... and I have started to build a 14 day trip that should be interesting. 3 days in the East, 3 days in the Southern Everglades and 8 days on the West Coast.

Best regards
J

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back