• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to deal with gin traps? (1 Viewer)

rozinante

Anarchism is order
While walking recently on "access" land, I came across a gin trap set by a stream. It was semi concealed within a raised circle of rocks and baited with what looked like a domestic hen’s egg. I suspect it might have been set primarily for mink. The area was a shooting moor but the nearby presence of a pair of peregrines feeding young suggests a certain amount of tolerance of wildlife. While I am well aware of the reputation of mink in this country, I can't condone this sort of barbarity to tackle the problem. I am almost sure that gin traps are totaly banned but some one else has suggested that special license can be had in the case of mink.

My dilemma was what to do about the trap. I feel entirely justified in my decision to spring the trap and prevent it being re set. However I did feel unsettled about doing it. I did not want to be considered to be stealing or destroying someone else’s property. Especially in the light of it being access land which while only being a gift of access, it could easily be removed.

I actually launched the trap far into the heather leaving the egg intact to show that it had been done by a person.

I wondered what any one else would do in such a circumstance. Should I have reported it to someone? Was I breaking the law in some way? (If so, I would gladly face the charge). The question has become more pressing as I will be revisiting the area soon.

rozinante said:
While walking recently on "access" land, I came across a gin trap set by a stream. It was semi concealed within a raised circle of rocks and baited with what looked like a domestic hen’s egg. I suspect it might have been set primarily for mink. The area was a shooting moor but the nearby presence of a pair of peregrines feeding young suggests a certain amount of tolerance of wildlife. While I am well aware of the reputation of mink in this country, I can't condone this sort of barbarity to tackle the problem. I am almost sure that gin traps are totaly banned but some one else has suggested that special license can be had in the case of mink.

My dilemma was what to do about the trap. I feel entirely justified in my decision to spring the trap and prevent it being re set. However I did feel unsettled about doing it. I did not want to be considered to be stealing or destroying someone else’s property. Especially in the light of it being access land which while only being a gift of access, it could easily be removed.

I actually launched the trap far into the heather leaving the egg intact to show that it had been done by a person.

I wondered what any one else would do in such a circumstance. Should I have reported it to someone? Was I breaking the law in some way? (If so, I would gladly face the charge). The question has become more pressing as I will be revisiting the area soon.

It was probably a Fenn trap or similar (legal) but should have been placed in a tunnel. As such, placing the trap in the open made it illegal. I would say you were correct to 'dismantle' it. You certainly didn't damage it or steal it and left it to be found a short distance away on the property.

Thanks for your replies.

I am pretty sure it was a gin trap. I will take a camera next time and will certainly report any I find.

I am suprised to find though that the "fen" trap, as Touty says, is still legal. It doesn't look very much more humane than a gin trap to me.

I probably would have done the same as this trap was illegaly set

PS I have been known to sneak into peoples gardens to nick their mole traps!(Shhh ;) )

Colin

Just how was the trap concealed?

I think that it is likely you have disturbed a perfectly legal trap set in a perfectly legal way. If you have concerns about traps in the future take a photo if you want and show your local copper but to interfere with a trap you obviously know little about is not really on.

mudman said:

I think that it is likely you have disturbed a perfectly legal trap set in a perfectly legal way. If you have concerns about traps in the future take a photo if you want and show your local copper but to interfere with a trap you obviously know little about is not really on.

Rozinante wrote "semi concealed within a raised circle of rocks". The rocks must form a "tunnel" to conform with the law and no part of the trap should protrude. Gamekeepers off the beaten path push the definition of "tunnel" to the limit whereas those operating in areas frquented by the public take care to ensure that their traps are more than "semi concealed".

Would you recognise a picture of the type of trap you saw, was it like any of the traps in the photo's attached here.

nirofo.

Attachments

• setgin.jpg
    setgin.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 165
  • runtraps.jpg
    runtraps.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 144
  • fennsawyerjubyimbra.jpg
    fennsawyerjubyimbra.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 166
mudman said:

If you have concerns about traps in the future take a photo if you want and show your local copper but to interfere with a trap you obviously know little about is not really on.

I agree mudman, that is why I am now trying to become better informed and as I have said will now take pictures and report simmilar in the future.

Also as I said, the trap was within a raised circle of rocks.

The top was open and the plate (see I am learning :) of the trap about 8"-10" below the rim. I am almost certain it was a gin trap.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back