• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swaro TLS APO (1 Viewer)

lmans66

Out Birding....
Supporter
United States
I haven't seen any true reviews from those 'in the field' on this adapter...
'Swarovski TLS APO Digiscoping Adapter for ATX/STX Spotting Scopes'

Given that it costs $500, what if any are the true advantages of this adapter in terms of image quality over that of any of the DCB's or DCA's that Swaro has also put out?

I realize that image quality will rest upon the not just quality of gear but also the skill of the digiscoper, but given that those who purchase the TLS APO most probably have skill as a digiscoper, was your difference in image quality greatly improved measurably by the price of this new adapter?

Thanks in advance.....jim

I'm also interested in this but particularly how you focus the camera?.

I am guessing you focus via the scope as the AF should not work as I believe you will be shooting at f11? I read that someplace but cannot confirm it....that is if you are using your DSLR and a pancake or 50mm..... Again, I can't confirm.

But one of the advantages might be you have more control over the camera and you can (at least in my case) have the viewfinder to see as you focus via the scope. Right now with the point and shoot I have no view finder so have to use the LCD screen which is a bummer as it is way to difficult to view to focus.

Anyhow,...I am still interested in the quality of this unit and if it is worth the financial upgrade.... jim

I have been using the TLS APO since February this year. Check my blog at http://horukuru.blogspot.com and so far I like the image quality produced from these combo with Nikon V1.

I did tested the DCB II with 18.5mm briefly but do not have enough sample images to compare both

Looks good.... it would appear that you have the ability to take in-flight shots, or shots in motion, more so than using a traditional adapter...

It must help tremendously being able to hone in using the camera viewfinder as opposed to the LCD.....

Also...the shots themselves appear solid enough. When compared to just your camera + lens, how do they compare 'noise wise'...? Thanks for the input! jim

Looks good.... it would appear that you have the ability to take in-flight shots, or shots in motion, more so than using a traditional adapter...

It must help tremendously being able to hone in using the camera viewfinder as opposed to the LCD.....

Also...the shots themselves appear solid enough. When compared to just your camera + lens, how do they compare 'noise wise'...? Thanks for the input! jim

Thanks a lot Jim and so far I haven't got any in flight shot with the TLS APO, so those were taken with my 300mm lens.

Noise wise, the D300s is better than Nikon V1. But on certain conditions, shooting at ISO 1600 with Nikon V1 plus slow shutter speed around 1/10's, I still can get sharp and decent noise image tru the scope than when I connected it with D300s

Really? ISO 1600? ..... I always try to shoot the lowest I can go.....even though you pay a bit in terms of darkness (I like darker images)......... many times I shoot at 100 ISO and have low shutters, but if it isn't much of a moving target it comes out okay.

I am just debating on the advantages of that TLS....just not sold yet as the price is so high...

I am just debating on the advantages of that TLS....just not sold yet as the price is so high...

The Nikon V1 really helped me in nailing the focus when using the TLS APO because the viewfinder itself is excellent. But autofocus indicator when using 18.5mm via DCB II is better IMHO.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back