• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scottish Highlands Book - shameless plug (1 Viewer)

gordon hamlett

Sorry about this blatant piece of self publicity, but I thought that if I didn't do it, then who would <grin>

After a long and difficult birth, my book - Best Birdwatching Sites in the Scottish Highlands (pub Buckingham Press, isbn 0-9533840-9-8, £15.95) is now available.

It is a Where to Watch guide in the same format as the publisher's Norfolk and Sussex books though the way the sites have been handled is slightly different.

Because some of the reserves run to several hundred square miles, it seemed fairly pointless to just list the reserve and the birds. With so many fabulous mountain ridges to scan, valleys to explore, lochs to search and views to take in, just where do you start?

Instead, we have come up with 22 tours, covering the most scenic parts of the Highlands, picking out various places to stop en route, and covering a mix of habitats - mountain, woodland, moor, lochs and sea. All the trips can be done in a day though you might not have time to explore all the stops thoroughly - just pick and choose what you want.

The areas included are:-

Perthshire
Ardnamurchan
Loch Arkaig
Loch Laggan
Upper Deeside
Speyside
Insh Marshes
Loch Hourn
Skye
Applecross
The Inverness glens
Findhorn Valley
Lochindorb
Glenlivet Estate
Moray Firth
Black Isle
Beinn Eighe
Inverpolly
Loch Fleet
Caithness
Lairg and Tongue
Handa

In all, there are over 160 sites or mini-sites covered

Obviously, there are a lot of Schedule One birds in the book, but everything included is already in the public domain so there is no information given to eggers. Similarly, no sites for nesting raptors or Black Grouse/Capercaillie leks are given unless at fully supervised sites.

If you don't see a particular bird on a given day, then believe me, it's no hardship to have to return!

Given that I have never seen another birder at over 90% of the sites, any wildlife experiences you have will be intensely personal. Indeed, many of the sites, are so remote that if you meet anyone else, it is probable that they will own a copy of the book too <grin>

Whether you are a first time visitor to the Highlands, or someone looking to explore a bit further away from the well-known Speyside sites, I hope that you will find somewhere to add to your Scottish experience.

Enjoy, and may you always see an eagle.

Gordon Hamlett

What an outrageous and shameful example of self promotion, Gordon! Mind you it sounds a good book and I look forward to seeing it. If it's remotely as readable as the Norfolk book (and I'm sure it will be) then it'll be a good read as well as a useful one. Good luck, I hope it sells well, John

John Cantelo said:
What an outrageous and shameful example of self promotion, Gordon! Mind you it sounds a good book and I look forward to seeing it. If it's remotely as readable as the Norfolk book (and I'm sure it will be) then it'll be a good read as well as a useful one. Good luck, I hope it sells well, John

I'm with you John. I too hope the book does well.

BTW Gordon, do BF members get a discount. lol

Thanks Gordon, where's the best place to get it?
On the web or is it in local bookshops? :news:
I would love to try some of the sites and am looking forward to reading it.
Nothing wrong with self publicity especially if its free.
Hope the book does really well, and to anyone who hasnt been to the highlands its well worth a holiday.
Good Luck Gordon :clap:

BIRDWATCHING SITES in SCOTLAND

MY COPY OF GORDON HAMLETT'S BOOK IS WAITING FOR ME AT MY LOCAL BOOK-SHOP. It's taken just 3 days to obtain. The book seller seemed interested in it when he phoned to say it had arrived so I told him to have a good look at it first before I call for it on Monday. Maybe I should have told him to buy his own!!

Sandra

:hi:

Shameless plug Gordon, but a gem of a book and I can recommend it highly to all. Even though I have never been there, it will be with me when I do. Found it at the Portland Bird Obs Bookshop the other Sunday.

kingfisher said:
Shameless plug Gordon, but a gem of a book and I can recommend it highly to all. Even though I have never been there, it will be with me when I do. Found it at the Portland Bird Obs Bookshop the other Sunday.

Thank you for that - the cheque's in the post. Can I now interest you in books for lots of other places you haven't been to yet - Mars for example<grin>.

Serious point this - many bird books are bought by people who just love bird books and have no intentions of ever visiting a place they have just bought a field guide for. We have these arguments regularly in the Bird Watching office - should a book be reviewed by someone who is an expert in the area but doesn't have a rounded appreciation of ornithological literature or vice versa.

Expert one might know whether the tertial markings have been drawn just so but doesn't know whether the book represents value for money. Expert 2 has a better feel for the overall design and friendliness of the book, how well it's written etc. Tricky one.

Gordon

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back