• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (3 Viewers)

Lucky you don't live next door to me or them scones would be gone by the morning ;) yum yum :-O
We tried hanging some millet recently and they just used it to hang on whilst they waited for the feeders to come free :C

They were gone when we got home that night, sparrows are the new gannets :-O

EDIT : 10,000th reply on the thread !

Congrats to all on the 10,000 posts!

"Our" starlings have been loving the birdbath this year, especially on the rare sunny days. They are always noisy, squabbling fun and I was lucky enough to have the camera setup at the right time for yesterday's bathing session.

Here's a still -

2012-07-28 starlings bathtime.jpg

Starling bathtime on YouTube [3m 47s]

Just had a Chiffchaff in next door's Hawthorn tree.

Double figures of Siskin now taking seed. A Chaffinch in the millet, but the Sparrows don't seem to have found it yet. The Magpies are moulting and a juv GSW still visiting, also the male and female.

Congrats to all on the 10,000 posts!

"Our" starlings have been loving the birdbath this year, especially on the rare sunny days. They are always noisy, squabbling fun and I was lucky enough to have the camera setup at the right time for yesterday's bathing session.

Here's a still -

View attachment 396833

Starling bathtime on YouTube [3m 47s]

thats a great capture Catbasket.:t::t: I think Starlings often get bad press cos they are so noisy and aggressive but whatever your feelings you have to admit they are right little characters arn't they.

We have yet another lot of juvenile Starlings in the garden this past week and there seems no end to them this year so they are definitely not in decline in our garden lol:-O

I'm off tomorrow for a few days to see an Olympic final in the Lee Valley White Water centre .We are camping at the Lee valley reservoirs so hopefully should see some birds and wildlife to photo.

I thought I'd leave you all with this image which is just begging for a caption!

Attachments

• starling caption.jpg
    starling caption.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 53
Very busy at the feeders this morning with the seed notably going down very fast,greenfinches, goldfinches blue tits along with 2 dozen sparrows the main culprits, superb to watch.

Decided to put up the suet feeder yesterday, which I don't normally do in the Summer. Amazingly, this morning, I have been inundated with Longtailed Tits around 6 of them, they've been backwards and forwards all morning. I hope they hang around for a bit as they've been somewhat of a rarity around here only ever seen them once!

extended feeding station

With respect to post 9998:
appears to be working successfully!!

Attachments

• 1-IMG_6926.JPG
    1-IMG_6926.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 57
per5.JPG
per4.JPG

I have never witnessed a more aggressive or successful hunter as this Peregrine. Two evenings in a row now, it has used a high pine as a vantage point to literally choose at will its meals. What has amazed me though tonight, and its not something I ever thought a bird would do, is that it was using the bough as camouflage to hide itself from view to anything passing below out from the forest.

When it sees anything it fancies below it just slips off and attacks it from above and behind.
hideseek.JPG

attack.JPG

Hi Folks
Well done to Goyter and the tree - some smashing shots, and we dont often get Perigrins on this thread so thanks Ratal.

Here something much simpler - the Robins have had their 3rd Brood and 2 new juvenile Robins arer currently in the garden, fantastic. Also yesterday I had the first juvenile Woodpigeon in the garden and as I have 2 breeding pairs in my garden (one pair front, one pair back) I know this is the first fledged bird. One of the nests is in the same tree as the Magpies to you know what happens there.

Last edited:
Local Robin has now reared the second brood and again just one juvenile in the garden. I think the rain has really made it difficult despite my best effort to support all the locals. Currently I have juvenile Gt and Bl Tit, Robin and Blackbird feeding. The House Sparrows seem to have done ok and my neighbour has taken the Starlings from me as he puts tons of fat balls out where as I stick to seed and meal worm so attract more finches. Starlings seem to be about in good numbers locally though. Swifts now total 20each night from the 8 earlier this year so I guess they've done ok too.
Hobby over the garden again yesterday was nice to see.

Local Robin has now reared the second brood and again just one juvenile in the garden. I think the rain has really made it difficult despite my best effort to support all the locals. Currently I have juvenile Gt and Bl Tit, Robin and Blackbird feeding. The House Sparrows seem to have done ok and my neighbour has taken the Starlings from me as he puts tons of fat balls out where as I stick to seed and meal worm so attract more finches. Starlings seem to be about in good numbers locally though. Swifts now total 20each night from the 8 earlier this year so I guess they've done ok too.
Hobby over the garden again yesterday was nice to see.

The Swifts will be joining the smaller parties together now to make a larger feeding flock in readiness for a return to Africa in a week or so, I had over 80 above the house 2 years ago just before they left.... a great and noisy sight :t:

Well done with the Hobby again

Todays young Robin showing well

and acting like a Tit ;)

Attachments

• IMG_5962.jpg
    IMG_5962.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_5963.jpg
    IMG_5963.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5932.jpg
    IMG_5932.jpg