• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (4 Viewers)

The snipe was just as much a surprise to me - had a Hobby do exactly the same thing a few years back too. What is most surprising is that my garden is not much bigger than a postage stamp - can only think that the small pond the grass and small bushes are a little oasis among the concrete yards many around here in this part of Tenby call a garden.

There seems to be an abundance of stuff in our garden at the mo probably due to the snow. Had 5 Fieldfare in the garden, Redwing on the hedge and a Buzzard in the field behind yesterday and today a Heron flew over. Other recent additions - Pied Wagtail, Reed Bunting and Yellowhammer in the garden.

Bananafishbones - Mistle Thrush seem to be a lot more aggressive in our garden, are larger and appear almost grey in some light compared to Song Thrush, I get then mixed up with Fieldfare at a glance. Hope that helps as I don't want to patronise as it winds me up!

We have a pair of Mistle Thrushes ( I studied my books for ages to confirm that they are Mistle and not Song!) that have been visiting our garden for the past couple of weeks and they chase off any bird that gets near, even the magpies.

Today we've had Magpies, Great Tits, Long Tailed Tits (always 6), Blue Tits, Starlings, Robin, Dunnock, Collard Doves (Pair), Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Blackbirds (male, female, and juv), a Heron flying overhead (my favourite) right by some Gulls but I have no idea what sort of Gulls.

Since News Years Day we've also had a Grey Wagtail, Blackcap (a lifer for me), Greenfinch one of each, Woodpigeon, House Sparrows. We had a Wren up until recently but haven't seen it this year.

Tenby- the garden has produce some interesting birds this Christmas leave so far for me - (numbers indicate max number seen at any single time) - have managed to photograph (p) through the window many of the species, just recorded shots mind clouded a little by the glass but I can put some of the better shots up if people are interested.

Dummock 3 (p)
Blue Tits 7 (p)
Robin 2 (p)
Great Tits 3
Chaffinch 3 (p)
House Sparrow 7 (p)
Goldfinch 1
Blackcap (f) 1 (p)
Wren 1
Song Thrush 2 (p)
Redwing 2 (p)
BlackBird 3 (2m 1f) (p)
Snipe 1
Starling 9 (p)
Meadow Pipit (p)

Jackdaws 9 (p)
Magpies 5
Herring Gulls around a dozen (p)
Ferral Pigeons 3

Last edited:
Pretty quiet in mine for the last few days, was hoping for the Redpoll to start frequenting more, but no luck since the 4th Jan. Still getting upto 12 Greenfinch daily and they inturn are still harrassing he Starlings.

I have moved some seed trays really close to the house and get a wonderful view of the Coal tits that risk being near the window, this in turn has arracted a tiny Wren to the same area that rumages around the flower beds.

Goldcrest still showing daily:)

Grey wagtail and Blackcap are nice visitors Disney as is a Meadow pipit Howard

Keep em coming!!

Last edited:
No sign of the Grey Wagtail in a few days now. We do have a pair of Chaffinches and a pair of Goldfinch that flit in several times a day. The Mistle Thrush was chasing off Blackbirds all over the gardens this afternoon.

Very quiet today, I saw just a few Starlings, a Blue Tit or two, a couple of Collared Doves and a few House Sparrows.

Yesterday (Saturday) when it was bitterly cold (-7C) I counted a record number of my favourite garden visitors: 14 Blackbirds all at once! They are always the first to arrive in the morning, often when it's still dark (eg. 6.15am) encouraged by the currants, raisins & sultanas I put out. They also seem to like Cheddar cheese cut into tiny cubes, along with small meat scraps. They squabble for territorial rights, rising and falling in vertical fisticuffs ('wingicuffs'?). I reckon I've got the fattest Blackbirds in Chester...

After a busy start and a complete change in the weather warmer wet and windy - a very quiet day only Blue tits, Dummock, Backbird and a few Sparrows.

On a very wet Monday morning

From 09.20 in cheshire (in order of appearance)

Redwing 2
House Sparrow 5
Goldfinch 5
Starling 10+
Greenfinch (3m 1f) now 6m 3f
Blackbird 1m 2f
Goldcrest
Robin
BH Gull
Carrion Crow
Chaffinch now 1m 1f
Ferral Pigeon
Blue Tit
Coal Tit
Jackdaw

On Friday afternoon I had a garden first with a Female Siskin:t: I managed to see around 30 siskin on the Middlewood way late in December so you just never know she may bring her family to visit!!

09.45am Wet has just become a prolonged downpour:C

Update rain relents to only constant, bird numbers increase, especially the Greenfinches, also arrived now is a Great tit

Last edited:
On Friday afternoon I had a garden first with a Female Siskin:t: I managed to see around 30 siskin on the Middlewood way late in December so you just never know she may bring her family to visit!!

Hi BFB,
Congrats. on the siskin. Have you noticed but it seems that whenever you say you would like to see a bird it appears shortly after? Could you let me in on the secret? So that I can see a Brambling and a waxwing or 2?

All the usuals here for me - the Stock Dove is still a daily visitor. A huge Woodpigeon (looked even fatter than usual) was trying to balance on the edge of the mesh tray which the tits and finches feed from, I thought it was going to break it! The Wren and Dunnock have been more frequent the past few days. The Song Thrush is also here every day, but it tends to get chased by the Blackbirds a lot. The Great Spotted Woodpecker has paid a few brief visits, and I also had a Nuthatch for a short while this morning. Lovely to see, the surrounding woods are full of them (as well as Treecreepers), but they rarely come into the garden for some reason.

Thank goodness the snow has gone!

The missing ones

Moray I keep praying for the Nuthatch alas not yet, a Brambling would seal it though:t:

Others on my wish list that have not shown up yet are Female Bullfinch, and Blackcap

I do have the Goldcrest everyday now, what a little cutty:-O

James your birds are well fed, if you put out the champagne I may be round:eat:

Last edited:
I'd love a Brambling too - no luck yet though! Indeed the Goldcrest is lovely - I've even had it on the feeder. Not something I've seen much!

2 Pied Wagtails this morning, and a very busy Wren at the base of the oak tree. The Robin is going to great lengths to keep chasing out the Dunnock.

Its now gone quiet in the garden

First appearance of the year from the sparrowhawk

Taken from the kitchen in a hurry...:eek!:

Attachments

• Sparrowhawk.gif
    Sparrowhawk.gif
    294.3 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
back to warmer climes tomorrow so my last day watching the garden - its blowing a gale here in Tenby and raining horizontally - had a long tailed Tit blow through. It landed on the grass tried to make it to the shelter of the shrubbery but got blown away down the terrace before it got a few feet into the air. Otherwise all the regulars still popping in early morning my favourites have to be the Redwings - never had them this close before.

:-OYesterday lunchtime a single female Redpoll again and a garden first this morning with a Very noisy Mistle Thrush sat a top of the tallest tree in the garden, thought it may have been beckoning its family over, but no sign yet!

It is also raining here with the wind getting a bit more than blustery now, ideal for the dozen or so B H Gulls above, rather quiet eslewhere with only a few Greenfiches, blue tits, coal tits around the feeders.

Thanks for your contibution from Tenby Howard, Your more than welcome to let us know what is in your yard from warmer climes!!

Garden update:
The single female Redpoll is back feeding on the Nyjer seeds with the Goldfinch as I write this pretty sure I also saw one flyaway. Dare I say I might me due a small flock:-O

Last edited:
:-

Thanks for your contibution from Tenby Howard, Your more than welcome to let us know what is in your yard from warmer climes!!

:-O

Thanks for that might be able to surprise you as my Bahrain Garden list is over 85 species and includes many species that might make you rather envious -- have had in the past such as Grey Hypocolius, Little Bittern, Striated Scops Owl, to name but a few.

Finally had the Gray Wagtail appear again today after I put out some mealworms. The mealworms nearly disappeared in one after a flock of about 20 Starlings descended on them about five minutes after I put them out! We had 6 Goldfinch too today instead of the normal pair. Plus all the usual sightings too.

Pam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back