• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from San Diego (1 Viewer)

Hi Guys & Gals -

Hi Everyone! First post. |8)|

I made a feeder for outside my condo (hanging over the balcony) using an old Redwood pine cone from a trip to NorCal a few years ago. First, I glued some dowels into it, then I "painted" it with peanut butter (put the jar in the microwave for a few seconds), and covered the peanut butter with Wagner's Finches Supreme seed.

Not much bird variety, but the "Cone" seems to be a popular place to visit. :t:

Attachments

• Bird#01.jpg
    Bird#01.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 108
  • Bird#02.jpg
    Bird#02.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 106
  • Bird#03.jpg
    Bird#03.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 106
  • Bird#04.jpg
    Bird#04.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 106
  • Bird#05.jpg
    Bird#05.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 111
Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum. :t:

What an amazing idea this is. Well done! ;)

Right after I took those snaps, I saw an Oriole(?) on the Hummingbird feeder!

Sorry for the poor quality, I was rushing and didn't give the camera a chance to focus. :-C

Attachments

• Bird#06.jpg
    Bird#06.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 94
  • Bird#07.jpg
    Bird#07.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 102
Couple more....

A couple of pics from that trip to NorCal. |:d|

These were taken on the Pacific right where California meets Oregon. :cool:

Attachments

• A-Sandpipers-at-White-Rock.JPG
    A-Sandpipers-at-White-Rock.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 101
  • A-Pelicans-at-White-Rock.JPG
    A-Pelicans-at-White-Rock.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 105
Hello and welcome to the forum. You'll notice that some of the best birds show up when the camera is nowhere to be found or not ready, they have a 6th sense about it. :-O:-O

Thanks for the warm welcome!!! I feel at home here with my bird-watching brethren. Can't wait to start birding out here in San Diego. Haven't done it at all since I was a boy scout in Michigan (which is loaded with all kinds of cool Neognaths). At first I thought there weren't many out here, but I've been told I just need to look a little harder. |;|

Any tips you guys have for stuff I might need (binoculars? camera?) is definitely welcome. I've already decided my Canon PowerShot SD750 is not going to do it camera-wise. I don't like the colors (they're washed out) and it feels to precarious to hold. But I don't want a DSLR or anything like that, just a 10+MP point-and-shoot with the option of going manual is fine. My Olympus gave me great color (that's what I used for the water birds above) right up until I broke it. |=(|

Thanks again for the warm welcome! B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back